Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, we don't know for sure that the AWD gets the smaller pack (or at least I haven't seen the definitive evidence. What we do know:
1) We know the Performance will have the larger pack, and we've known that for a long time. It's required to get 315 rated miles of range.
2) And we know for SURE that the AWD does not need the larger pack in order to get 353 rated miles of range.
HOW DO WE KNOW THIS FOR SURE IF WE HAVEN'T CONFIRMED WHETHER THE AWD ALREADY HAS THE LARGER BATTERY?
3) And we know that this was a new denser cell line at Tesla for the Performance pack, and is likely capacity limited.
4) We know that the available unlocked energy in the 2021 AWD is currently about 77.5kWh in the US, nearly exactly the same as it has been in prior years.

But we don't know whether, in spite of the GF capacity issues with the new cells, Tesla decided to unnecessarily (it's totally not needed) place the "82kWh" (not necessarily 82kWh) pack in the normal AWD non-P vehicles. It seems like they wouldn't, but we don't know. But in the future I wouldn't be surprised if they do put the larger packs in all Model 3 LR vehicles. If the new cells are denser, with no actual downside (safety or longevity, etc.) there's eventually going to be no reason to even make the lower capacity cells.

HOW DO WE KNOW THIS FOR SURE IF WE HAVEN'T CONFIRMED WHETHER THE AWD ALREADY HAS THE LARGER BATTERY?

We know for sure it does not need the larger pack, is what I said. Why? Because we have the EPA results and it only required ~78.5kWh to get the rated range of 353 rated miles. That's less than the energy used in the 2020 Model 3 to get 322 miles (~79.5kWh)

If they add the larger battery, and they realize the full 5% increase over prior years (79.5kWh*1.05 = 83.5kWh), which it is NOT currently (even in the Performance it's only 2% higher capacity per EPA than prior year, right now, at 81kWh), then the rated range will be:

353rmi*83.5kWh/78.5kWh = 375 rated miles (roughly)

With the current Performance battery capacity, the AWD non-P would have rated range of 364rmi.

Last edited:
On the model Y the battery label I was referring to is attached on the bottom side of the very first and easiest Trunk cover you would take off that's nearest the windshield. Also on our few month old Model Y the coolant was also below nominal and I was wondering about that as well.

Whoops I misspoke/ mistyped this yellow sticker is what I was referring to that says 74 kWh on a 2020 Model Y LR AWD VIN 27XXX.

MO75OqQnfJ_1OAiOSqGRCQ_tiSpvLY7jrGRraBkzGr2zXBjM70bRXRxj1cdOLFcB0V8X7-qQa0gmtSRArwdRhBA7yklgwIj5Gxer11X6ovWH-Dfh1kn-keczS58y6RFRSz3Q2uRx7C8Kv3S-GFUbfy7_K0PHkQIVCnzB1UvaQkmhK_jM101LT3ZU2isUEub5hy3uXW0S8ycZlyeUz3UNsUHCat8qLDdld5hfjo4pnlxDMSU3gsCGsx869zYvXmSqg1i1B1Wt_0w6VUaS0GpC12sV4b4GTSJiGFtSUhgexU8i_55HA6rJGkIFpMHJPE9VRlK679sKPiY7jOH0UmFIp0NiDY1zZHkKEEmWOUhUAwH0F1vm434OtbgD1rXEsWYs78SHgPEzZxJYEMiSuiWLJaA5DmtdsX8vj4lWlGK9zB4FL80wEh0RF3T5xdu-4C7LCK4dmN615mngB4oscgj896GE5a53QO5KutnFUx_wtEM4UnA3Nv8hCIcxQ3Felaz2q4p6eXfOI2t35JOMeZkliRUk-8fPyUo1cXmsm38P1siVzx98LrAJTV5dYU1VwX3Y7hve61I6y8R63lC_98tPCpiQqNsDGlK0OGhho9xCSOtXWNwaIKmVsZ5PjgAKgBUkJVG1WpmRF2BL04yU780ItPIRzEDRyFfWZVmV2bgSfz_JEDkQjaKu_xUURc2gUUM=w1110-h833-no
wIj2GSLHZLDf4x6MOANp6xU1SDIrB0IfZar9PHLeTSaK0VSh5yGV8VLQOJ_dxd3cdWHABW-mYAcBtboPWlLMDk6seq7cUjzvzo-GESNKbw22uywHSL0oxj8F9a_RTue85aSglbqOpFE1bDIF2PK6wDjhEGRxv82PSz5RnbcsglywLFdNNuCTZWco6qatVf1K23LAv0wuCD2ZoVhIG5t1Z6Yh8mKD178iXWCB-DGMfabUD6amkb5ZwNqMeFDXuG_nYMWec5_7mAu9pkK1hY0maQGkjEDv-1DpdGlVs_6EFjc-eJyw68kQG1vjpmyNST1Jydn0J_HyI90kwDRaRzQzIRVZu8Y6W0doNHD2k-zefmPXfLxk2Nc2viZd6b_oiMav2RtndEprI1gTR3PUDDqHloGXv8pn1usZrdxmlqV4t-gUYw-ZRKTpCtp9iHmsfM7x-S3bpvCf5tgdW0AkDm-nPtl-LobpjLG1KR2uW4p8Kb3x39J0-NS67wZgUvoumdGjdTl0Y3WkrYCMMvp9xBroxHjzrDU2hOH6HD6mMzNLI7ScXIR6O1qHfGU0H_atIn0_MHUvon6xrwY1XU7eWHdm7jNEHJNFla-RxtdwjR8fOpx53X2CLkBzD-si4qOOF8gdJXXkvsG-G1_1VrMhiap0YUY4C3CeBAllf3_Eks8zEfR1YRAm6eZ5DuorQqUY-EU=w1110-h833-no

We know for sure it does not need the larger pack, is what I said. Why? Because we have the EPA results and it only required ~78.5kWh to get the rated range of 353 rated miles. That's less than the energy used in the 2020 Model 3 to get 322 miles (~79.5kWh)

If they add the larger battery, and they realize the full 5% increase over prior years (79.5kWh*1.05 = 83.5kWh), which it is NOT currently (even in the Performance it's only 2% higher capacity per EPA than prior year, right now, at 81kWh), then the rated range will be:

353rmi*83.5kWh/78.5kWh = 375 rated miles (roughly)

With the current Performance battery capacity, the AWD non-P would have rated range of 364rmi.
OK. Sorry for all the questions. I'm getting ready to order a M3LR in early Q1 and I'm just trying to understand what I am getting. I don't understand why Tesla doesn't post all the specs. All ICE manufacturers post horsepower, torque, equipment, etc.

OK. I don't understand why Tesla doesn't post all the specs. All ICE manufacturers post horsepower, torque, equipment, etc.

I think it it is for the same reason that Apple does post specs on their devices, the software and hardware are developed together so efficiently that posting capacities and power numbers would look underwhelming compared to competitors even though it outperforms. At the end of the day do you care about the exact amount of energy the car can hold, or how far the car can drive you; I would say Tesla thinks the latter.

I think it it is for the same reason that Apple does post specs on their devices, the software and hardware are developed together so efficiently that posting capacities and power numbers would look underwhelming compared to competitors even though it outperforms. At the end of the day do you care about the exact amount of energy the car can hold, or how far the car can drive you; I would say Tesla thinks the latter.
But can Teslas drive that much farther than their competitors using smaller batteries? They haven't beaten the laws of physics. Most likely they are optimizing their cars for the EPA range test.

I understand what you're saying; however, I still want to know the specs. I'm passing on the M3P because I care more about range than power (this is a first for me) . I'm hoping that it is the larger battery and that Tesla can increase range with future updates.

I'm passing on the M3P because I care more about range than power (this is a first for me)

Put decent 18” wheels on the 2021 Performance, with the right tires, or even make the slight modifications to fit the stock 18” with Aeros on your Performance (rear brakes protrusion, for the old 18”, had to be ground very slightly), and the Performance 2021 will be the range king.

The Performance has longer range than the AWD - it has a larger battery (at least the available energy- TBD on the physical battery) and the important difference that impacts the range (taking it from 353 to 315) is the lack of aero wheels and the tires.

So, if you really care about range, get the Performance, or wait for them to put the larger battery in the AWD (TBD when that will happen). And swap the wheels on the P.

I run 18” on my Performance for road trips. I’m not sure the tire swap actually even makes *that* much difference for trips that are mostly at freeway speeds because the aero losses are so high.

It’s a little sad that the 18” aren’t easier to use. But to make it simple:

1) 5mm spacer (REQUIRED if hubcentric because of the lip)
2) Grind rear caliper very slightly.
3) Loosen calipers and shove them inwards as much as possible (to get extra fraction of mm), then retighten (may not be needed).
4) Will be very tight - just 1-2mm clearance from the brakes. This was too close to me so went aftermarket and have 5mm or more of clearance. However, I lose the aero wheel benefit.

Note: new 18” barrel may be different - hopefully someone can check the fit - maybe it has more clearance! Then this would be easy. Would just need a spacer.

Last edited:
But can Teslas drive that much farther than their competitors using smaller batteries? They haven't beaten the laws of physics. Most likely they are optimizing their cars for the EPA range test.
Yeah, from what I can see they can. A Model Y can go over 325 miles on 78 kWh battery compared to VWs new ID.4 which has a 250 mile range with an 82 kWh battery. I would say that is statistically significant. The only car company I have seen that challenges Tesla’s efficiency is Lucid but they haven’t produced any customer cars yet to prove it.

Put decent 18” wheels on the 2021 Performance, with the right tires, or even make the slight modifications to fit the stock 18” with Aeros on your Performance (rear brakes protrusion, for the old 18”, had to be ground very slightly), and the Performance 2021 will be the range king.

The Performance has longer range than the AWD - it has a larger battery (at least the available energy- TBD on the physical battery) and the important difference that impacts the range (taking it from 353 to 315) is the lack of aero wheels and the tires.

So, if you really care about range, get the Performance, or wait for them to put the larger battery in the AWD (TBD when that will happen). And swap the wheels on the P.

I run 18” on my Performance for road trips. I’m not sure the tire swap actually even makes *that* much difference for trips that are mostly at freeway speeds because the aero losses are so high.

It’s a little sad that the 18” aren’t easier to use. But to make it simple:

1) 5mm spacer (REQUIRED if hubcentric because of the lip)
2) Grind rear caliper very slightly.
3) Loosen calipers and shove them inwards as much as possible (to get extra fraction of mm), then retighten (may not be needed).
4) Will be very tight - just 1-2mm clearance from the brakes. This was too close to me so went aftermarket and have 5mm or more of clearance. However, I lose the aero wheel benefit.

Note: new 18” barrel may be different - hopefully someone can check the fit - maybe it has more clearance! Then this would be easy. Would just need a spacer.
I was also considering this, but those Ubers look too good. Maybe for road trips.

Yeah, from what I can see they can. A Model Y can go over 325 miles on 78 kWh battery compared to VWs new ID.4 which has a 250 mile range with an 82 kWh battery. I would say that is statistically significant. The only car company I have seen that challenges Tesla’s efficiency is Lucid but they haven’t produced any customer cars yet to prove it.
While I don't doubt that the Model Y is more efficient than the ID.4, unfortunately it's difficult to compare even EPA ratings since manufacturers are able to adjust the scaling factors in the results and test differently.

Really need some real world tests to get a better idea. I really wish that a simple 65-70 mph steady state test was part of the test and easily available.