Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I don't doubt that the Model Y is more efficient than the ID.4, unfortunately it's difficult to compare even EPA ratings since manufacturers are able to adjust the scaling factors in the results and test differently.

Really need some real world tests to get a better idea. I really wish that a simple 65-70 mph steady state test was part of the test and easily available.
The EPA requires the manufacturer to submit three target coefficients (available here) that play into a formula that looks something like follows:

A + Bv + Cv^2 = road force in ft lbf.

If you can do some math, you can multiply by any given velocity (i.e., 70 mph), convert ft lbf into kWh, and divide the usable size of the battery by that number to determine how many feet the car can travel on a single charge in extremely ideal conditions.

I.e., for a LR Model 3 at 75 mph, the coefficients are 38.61, -0.0811, and 0.0161, which comes out to 123.08 ft lbf at 75 mph. Convert it into kWh (about 0.245 per mile), divide the size of the battery by this number (~79 kWh), and you get ~320 miles in extremely ideal conditions, not accounting for road texture, wind, grade of the road, AC, etc.

This is just one of many factors that play into the EPA range estimates, but it was worth mentioning.

even EPA ratings since manufacturers are able to adjust the scaling factors in the results and test differently.

Exactly! The MPGe and range numbers are both affected by the scalar factor.

The only way to compare efficiency between manufacturer vehicles for a particular use case, is to look at the raw data for the two vehicles. You don't want to read into the ABSOLUTE value of these results (they're very good of course since the cycle results in nearly 500 miles of driving on a charge!), but you can compare the relative values, prior to application of the scalar. (The post-scalar modified values are also in the file, though.) Note these are AC values so they do account for charging losses too, but those losses are probably fairly similar between manufacturers. If you want to get rid of those losses and see the raw driving efficiency, you have to go to the individual submissions for each vehicle. (Basic Search | Document Index System | US EPA)

This AC data is publicly available:

Download Fuel Economy Data

FWIW, Tesla IS very efficient when compared to most other manufacturers (I hid a few here just to make the comparison less busy). They really do have excellent efficiency (we'll ignore vampire drain for this discussion, and even that seems to be improving)... For example:

Model 3 LR AWD: 179Wh (AC) per mile, city

Volkswagen ID.4: 225Wh (AC) per mile, city

(So 20% better.) Even bigger difference on the highway, of course.

After the scalar, which accounts for 5-cycle results and incorporates the effects of the heat pump, but not all manufacturers take advantage of this even if they do have the heat pump (FWIW):

Model 3 LR AWD: 239Wh (AC) per mile, city

Volkwagen ID.4: 321Wh (AC) per mile, city

So now the Tesla is 25.5% better (they use a scalar of 0.747, while Volkswagen uses 0.7). But if the weather conditions are mild this extra 5% difference does not exist (I don't know whether ID.4 uses a heat pump, but does not matter for this discussion).

As mentioned above, the manufacturers do have a tiny amount of latitude on their dyno coefficients, but they really can't cheat with these, as the EPA will come after them if they are off too much. But they can sandbag them of course (pessimistic).

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 10.45.37 AM.png

Last edited:
Yeah, from what I can see they can. A Model Y can go over 325 miles on 78 kWh battery compared to VWs new ID.4 which has a 250 mile range with an 82 kWh battery. I would say that is statistically significant. The only car company I have seen that challenges Tesla’s efficiency is Lucid but they haven’t produced any customer cars yet to prove it.
As everyone has said, this isn't an apple to apple comparison. VW's testing regime is different from Tesla's, especially considering they underwent dieselgate and would underpromise rather than overpromise.

• Funny
Reactions: DrL90
The 2021 not only comes with the door open sign so passengers can figure out how to open the door, it also lights up at night to make it easy to find.

Drivers too! During my test drive, I was at a red light and the smart idea of “What does this unlabeled button on the door do?” popped into my head. Press. Pop! Oops!

I know what you’re thinking... and, yes, the light turned green right when I pressed the button...

I thought for some reason they were mechanical on the one we test-drove.

There's a mechanical emergency release (which you're never supposed to use, as it can result in damage to the door trim, since the window may not drop before the door pops open - though it will, if you pull slowly and the car has power...) located forward of the door controls. Many people use it when they first get into the car, and it's perhaps a good idea to tape it off (though perhaps a minor safety hazard?) if you have new passengers in your vehicle. It invariably is what people go for. They think the button is for the window, or they miss it entirely. You can also get decals to make the electrical door release more obvious. It sounds like they may have made some minor changes in 2021 to make this more obvious, based on @MarsOrBust's comment.

There's a mechanical emergency release (which you're never supposed to use, as it can result in damage to the door trim, since the window may not drop before the door pops open - though it will, if you pull slowly and the car has power...) located forward of the door controls. Many people use it when they first get into the car, and it's perhaps a good idea to tape it off (though perhaps a minor safety hazard?) if you have new passengers in your vehicle. It invariably is what people go for. They think the button is for the window, or they miss it entirely. You can also get decals to make the electrical door release more obvious. It sounds like they may have made some minor changes in 2021 to make this more obvious, based on @MarsOrBust's comment.

+2. Scary if there is a risk of damage from using the latch. Both my GF and I thought the emergency release was the door handle because it's so obvious and prominently placed. She had no idea about the button. And while I've used something similar on the 'Vette, I didn't realize this was the same thing and thought it might be a door lock.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Can anyone confirm if the storage sizes are the same in the center console between the 2020 and 2021 refresh? I’d like to get a coin and sunglasses tray under my arm rest and more storage tray between the phone charger and the cup holders thx.

The center console is I believe different. See this thread. In short, the storage insert from Amazon I bought which was for 'all model 3s' did not fit my new 2021 M3 LR-AWD's center console as it is supposed to. I haven't run across one yet that does fit. I don't have a 2020 M3 to compare to, but it seems that the opening is either differently sized or shaped.

Can anyone confirm if the storage sizes are the same in the center console between the 2020 and 2021 refresh? I’d like to get a coin and sunglasses tray under my arm rest and more storage tray between the phone charger and the cup holders thx.
I just picked up my 2021 today and I actually called the SC when I got home because I thought the little tray under the armrest was missing, turns out that the 2021s don’t come with the removable tray, but the delivery person said that there will be a tray available in the near future from the Tesla store. I will be getting one when available because I loved it for sunglasses, garage door opener, glasses cleaner, etc...

Last edited:
Sorry I’m new to owing a Tesla and got a new 2021 model 3 SR+ arriving in a week and came across this.
Is this something I need to do? I though all the speakers worked in the car? What the point of putting speakers in the car but not wire it up?

Attachments

• D40C6F30-6AA6-49BB-BC74-57A37F7C85BE.png
    D40C6F30-6AA6-49BB-BC74-57A37F7C85BE.png
    1 MB · Views: 86
Reactions: Pemple
Sorry I’m new to owing a Tesla and got a new 2021 model 3 SR+ arriving in a week and came across this.
Is this something I need to do? I though all the speakers worked in the car? What the point of putting speakers in the car but not wire it up?
SR+ comes with the partial premium interior so not all of the speakers are there and/or wired. I don't recall off hand how many "working" speakers come with SR+ but it is not the full number that you get with LR-AWD and Performance models that have the full premium interior.

I believe you can look at the full specs at Tesla.com.

SR+ comes with the partial premium interior so not all of the speakers are there and/or wired. I don't recall off hand how many "working" speakers come with SR+ but it is not the full number that you get with LR-AWD and Performance models that have the full premium interior.

I believe you can look at the full specs at Tesla.com.

thank you! I’m gonna book an appointment to get the rest of the speakers working. $180 seems fine.

Can someone summarize packs again with new information, if LRAWD comes with 82KWh battery pack or is it only for P+?

I’m picking refresh AWD non P next week and want to make sure I end up with new pack or difference is too minor and stay with older lower KWh packs?

Question is for US built model 3s

thanks in advance

Can someone summarize packs again with new information, if LRAWD comes with 82KWh battery pack or is it only for P+?

I’m picking refresh AWD non P next week and want to make sure I end up with new pack or difference is too minor and stay with older lower KWh packs?

Question is for US built model 3s

thanks in advance

Tagging onto this post. I also have a LR-AWD due to arrive in late December. How can I tell if it has the larger battery? Also a US car.

Door button and 'emergency' door handle
Thank you very much for that :). I'm almost sure we used the handle, so I assume the window indexes normally when the 12V battery is fine. The button looks like the door lock button. Where do you lock the car from the inside when driving? Didn't see any buttons for that. Or is there a central locking button somewhere, a la BMW? Thx.

I'm also curious about the battery size on M3 LR. Mine should arrive Dec 30-31, according to my account (no VIN yet though).