Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need some help.

They have an inventory model three with the exact configuration that I am looking for. It’s vin is 87XXX or above

My sales advisor states that there is no way for him to confirm if it has the new headlights or not. Does anyone know if a vehicle with a Vin of 87 or higher would have them?

Need some help.

They have an inventory model three with the exact configuration that I am looking for. It’s vin is 87XXX or above

My sales advisor states that there is no way for him to confirm if it has the new headlights or not. Does anyone know if a vehicle with a Vin of 87 or higher would have them?
Saw this posted in Waiting Room last night @Tholland

they started in the USA around 865,xxx I know for sure 869,xxx has them and anything after that seems to have to them. someone stated they saw a VIN at 863,xxx but I have seen that. @mikey_bs confirm today that 862,xxx and below didn't have them when he saw him in a local holding lot.

Saw this posted in Waiting Room last night @Tholland

they started in the USA around 865,xxx I know for sure 869,xxx has them and anything after that seems to have to them. someone stated they saw a VIN at 863,xxx but I have seen that. @mikey_bs confirm today that 862,xxx and below didn't have them when he saw him in a local holding lot.
yeah I would assume if its about 865,xxx that it has the new global headlights. I do know for sure that 869,xxx Vin has them. again, their could be cars with higher vins without the headlight change, as Tesla doesn't build the cars in VIN order. but you have a very very very high chance of having the new headlights if you are about the 865,xxx vin I think. and almost about 75-90% chance if its in the 869,xxx and about range.

Something I noticed today when driving down the same route twice; once in my 2018 and later in the 2021. The 2021 is definitely quieter. Seems like the major difference in noise comes from the tires and/or through the floor of the cabin. Stock wheels and tires on both:
2018: 18" w/ Michelin Primacy MX's (~20k miles)
2021: 20" w/ Pirelli P Zeros

If anything I would have thought the P Zeros would have resulted in more cabin noise from the road. It may be that my '18 has more miles on it (~40k) and bushings are wearing out a little, tire compound is getting hard, etc. I don't have a decibel meter to verify if it really is quieter or like Bjorn explained; some frequencies are better blocked out, but it's definitely more pleasant by my observation.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
How about when I see the car for the first time. Is there a way to confirm the upgrades?
confirm the headlights yes, battery would be harder. thats normally tucked under the car and could be harder to see. I believe its somewhat visible behind the passenger front wheel if its turned a certain way. Im not exactly sure what the new Battery label shows and what to look for on that front. I believe the 2021 LR cars have the new 82kw battery, and they just got the update to unlock that displayed ranged estimate. what has not been confirmed, is if the Performance car has the same battery or not. but for the headlights, you just need to look in the outside corner of the light and if you see a black housing with a projector style light than its the updated headlights. if you see a complete reflector headlight its the old one. you will notice difference. the old ones look like one piece that is all the same. the new is split with a projector and reflector.

Just picked up my car today, vin 867*** and confirm that it does come with the new headlights and I am actually really really surprise that I couldn’t find anything wrong with the car, panel gaps are barely noticeable and no weird thing sticking out when it’s not supposed to, I guess I got really lucky with the new car!

Attachments

• 6CDBECAF-56A2-46CC-A151-03CD09B31AB2.jpeg
    6CDBECAF-56A2-46CC-A151-03CD09B31AB2.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 137
Something I noticed today when driving down the same route twice; once in my 2018 and later in the 2021. The 2021 is definitely quieter. Seems like the major difference in noise comes from the tires and/or through the floor of the cabin. Stock wheels and tires on both:
2018: 18" w/ Michelin Primacy MX's (~20k miles)
2021: 20" w/ Pirelli P Zeros

If anything I would have thought the P Zeros would have resulted in more cabin noise from the road. It may be that my '18 has more miles on it (~40k) and bushings are wearing out a little, tire compound is getting hard, etc. I don't have a decibel meter to verify if it really is quieter or like Bjorn explained; some frequencies are better blocked out, but it's definitely more pleasant by my observation.
There are a couple of iPhone apps that can measure sound levels and give you a rough idea. I'm not sure but there may be Android apps as well.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
No one knows for certain at this point. Everyone is speculating. A couple of websites...Electrek, Teslarati, InsideEVs have reported that some M3LR AWD, as well as the M3P, have the new battery packs, but they also say that the installation of them of them has been inconsistent. They think that Tesla is still trying to use up some old packs. Again, everyone is speculating....including me.

No one knows for certain at this point. Everyone is speculating. A couple of websites...Electrek, Teslarati, InsideEVs have reported that some M3LR AWD, as well as the M3P, have the new battery packs, but they also say that the installation of them of them has been inconsistent. They think that Tesla is still trying to use up some old packs. Again, everyone is speculating....including me.
Tesla has no PR department. They let all of those articles run without fact checking them, so the public things that getting a new model 3 is going to include a larger battery pack when that is likely not going to be the case.

My VIN 862xxx does not have new headlights, so I rejected before delivery and asked them to match me with new headlights model. Which the response from SC guy was they don’t do new headlights in US. New headlights will be next year and I will miss out on CO tax credit. I will wait and see more than a week left I’m pretty sure they will get me on by 31 to reach targets

My VIN 862xxx does not have new headlights, so I rejected before delivery and asked them to match me with new headlights model. Which the response from SC guy was they don’t do new headlights in US. New headlights will be next year and I will miss out on CO tax credit. I will wait and see more than a week left I’m pretty sure they will get me on by 31 to reach targets
It's a crapshoot for the end of month. I will be missing free supercharging (if that's even a guarantee) to get delivery early 2020 so they can work out the battery, headlight, and end of quarter manufacturing woes.