Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Cabin noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Tesla people,

In 2021, Model 3 has claimed that the double glass in the front seat can improve wind noise. Therefore, reduce the cabin noise.
I don't have 2020 model 3, therefore, I can't tell the difference between the old model 3 and the upgraded model 3.
Can anyone tell me that does the double glass design really improve the cabin noise or it remain the same?

Reactions: hcdavis3
Hey Tesla people,

In 2021, Model 3 has claimed that the double glass in the front seat can improve wind noise. Therefore, reduce the cabin noise.
I don't have 2020 model 3, therefore, I can't tell the difference between the old model 3 and the upgraded model 3.
Can anyone tell me that does the double glass design really improve the cabin noise or it remain the same?
Drove a 2021 model 3 performance and it was really quiet. Tires make a big difference as well so could have been the tires.

Hey Tesla people,

Mine's brand new and there's a lot of wind noise/wheezing sounds while I'm driving more than 20 mph. Not sure if it's just my build quality though. Taking it to service center in a week and a half.

I have a 2 month old 2021 and compared with prior sport sedans (alfa romeo giulia, and multiple BMW 3's) it's definitely noisier on the highway mostly from wind noise. Locally it's quieter given lack of engine noise. I don't know what's normal though so didn't make a service appointment. I seem to read mixed opinions on how quite/noisy the 2021 3 is. Maybe I should have service check it out though as it is annoying for long drives.

Reactions: RickCRNA
Yeah, the cabin noise is really annoying, especially for the 2021 Model Y, the cabin noise seems came from everywhere, it could be a deal breaker for some customers. I like to drive Model 3 or Y for a long trip, a quite cabin is essential need for me.
However, Hey! The good news is that Elon is going to upgrade the gigafactory in U.S. this year and hopefully there will be a real huge update version to the new Model Y coming in 2022. Really existing to see that. XD

Yeah, the cabin noise is really annoying, especially for the 2021 Model Y, the cabin noise seems came from everywhere, it could be a deal breaker for some customers. I like to drive Model 3 or Y for a long trip, a quite cabin is essential need for me.
However, Hey! The good news is that Elon is going to upgrade the gigafactory in U.S. this year and hopefully there will be a real huge update version to the new Model Y coming in 2022. Really existing to see that. XD
I find my 2021 model 3 rather loud and the y even worse. This was at least part of the reason I didn't get a y

I have a M3 P and I find it pretty damn quiet. The lack of engine noise makes up for whatever wind noise there is. I do majority highway driving and I’ve never once been bothered by wind noise. Maybe I just got lucky. Not sure. It likely is the loss of engine noise, but it’s literally the quietest car I’ve ever owned.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I have a M3 P and I find it pretty damn quiet. The lack of engine noise makes up for whatever wind noise there is. I do majority highway driving and I’ve never once been bothered by wind noise. Maybe I just got lucky. Not sure. It likely is the loss of engine noise, but it’s literally the quietest car I’ve ever owned.
You don't seem to be alone in your opinion which is why I'm confused as to what is normal/abnormal and how this car compares to other cars. I'm sure it partly depends on what you are used to but I also wonder how variable highway cabin wind noise is based on build quality. As I noted above compared to other sport sedans I have owned and SUVs, highway noise is worse. At some point I have to bring it in to service as my steering wheel is slightly off center when driving straight so I'll mention the wind noise but I suspect they'll say everything is in spec.

the model 3 is a glassbox so of course there will be a lot of noise. double glazing will definetely help when the wind comes from a weird angle and you get this cutting noise - but most people arent even bothered by that as it makes them aware of potentially hazardous conditions.

Hey Tesla people,

Yes it does. Compared to my previous 2020 model 3. The cabin is much quieter. Totally pleased with my new car.

Yes, I had a 2018 M3 and now a 2021. Notable improvement with less road noise, especially at higher speeds. My 2018 was so noisy I bought and installed all those rubber seals, but still not as quiet as the 2021.
Agreed. I had a 2018 production hell Model 3, a 2020 model 3 and today I have a 2021 Model 3 Long Range. With double pane glass my new car is orders of magnitude quieter.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I just took delivery of a 2021 Model 3 LR AWD to replace my 2018 Model 3 LR. First impression was that car was significantly quieter around town as far as road noise, wind noise and that faint motor whine I could hear at certain speeds in the 2018. However, on the highway above 55 mph I was disappointed since there was a notable wind roar near my left ear near the top of the drivers side window. I inspected the seals and initially I thought it all looked OK. But then I inserted a strip of heavy paper around the rear edge of the door glass and found that the window had no contact to the rubber seal along the upper edge of the B-Pillar. The rubber flap that provides a second seal was in contact with the glass but there was no contact to the rubber at the extreme rear edge of the glass. I found that you can carefully pull the door rubber trim away from the B-Pillar glass panel (the one with the side camera in it) by starting at the bottom of that glass panel. In the exposed void under the seal I added a 2" long strip of 1/2" thick adhesive backed black foam household window sealing tape onto the metal behind the rubber seal. Then I tucked the rubber seal back under the B-Pillar glass panel. This pushed out the rubber ever so slightly so now the window edge is in full contact with the rubber from top to bottom. The closed gap eliminated the wind roar. I live 2 hours from nearest service center so this was much easier for me than making an appointment at the SC or for mobile. I would say the 2021 Model 3 is now noticeably quieter than my old 2018 Model 3 in all situations.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I just took delivery of a 2021 Model 3 LR AWD to replace my 2018 Model 3 LR. First impression was that car was significantly quieter around town as far as road noise, wind noise and that faint motor whine I could hear at certain speeds in the 2018. However, on the highway above 55 mph I was disappointed since there was a notable wind roar near my left ear near the top of the drivers side window. I inspected the seals and initially I thought it all looked OK. But then I inserted a strip of heavy paper around the rear edge of the door glass and found that the window had no contact to the rubber seal along the upper edge of the B-Pillar. The rubber flap that provides a second seal was in contact with the glass but there was no contact to the rubber at the extreme rear edge of the glass. I found that you can carefully pull the door rubber trim away from the B-Pillar glass panel (the one with the side camera in it) by starting at the bottom of that glass panel. In the exposed void under the seal I added a 2" long strip of 1/2" thick adhesive backed black foam household window sealing tape onto the metal behind the rubber seal. Then I tucked the rubber seal back under the B-Pillar glass panel. This pushed out the rubber ever so slightly so now the window edge is in full contact with the rubber from top to bottom. The closed gap eliminated the wind roar. I live 2 hours from nearest service center so this was much easier for me than making an appointment at the SC or for mobile. I would say the 2021 Model 3 is now noticeably quieter than my old 2018 Model 3 in all situations.
Is there any improvements in Road rumble on rough road patches? My 2018 Model 3 LR is pretty quiet (not much wind noise), but the rough concrete roads like I-5 in Seattle area, the rumble and roar of the road noise via the body is unbearable above 50MPH. On Smoother tarmac, my car is blissfully quiet. FYI I added additional door seals, that might have added tiny bit of wind noise reduction, but not much.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Is there any improvements in Road rumble on rough road patches? My 2018 Model 3 LR is pretty quiet (not much wind noise), but the rough concrete roads like I-5 in Seattle area, the rumble and roar of the road noise via the body is unbearable above 50MPH. On Smoother tarmac, my car is blissfully quiet. FYI I added additional door seals, that might have added tiny bit of wind noise reduction, but not much.
Same, 2019 here. On smooth roads model 3 is fine but on rough roads its just aweful.