Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 heater not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2015 Audi A6 and I never had any problems. And I still have this car!
Consider yourself very lucky with the Audi. Consumer Reports rates the 2015 Audi A6 a 1 out of 5 in reliability. The engine, brakes and electrical system, in particular, are rated really poor which, if/when it goes, will coast a pretty penny. The Model Y is not exactly rated high in reliability by CR either. However, Model Y (in its first year) get's 5 out of 5 for everything except paint/Trim, Body hardware and Integrity. New Model Y assembly line issues perhaps??? Ironically Heating scored a perfect 5. So this means the majority surveyed experience stellar heating. IMO it's most likely a bad lot of sensors that's caused new owners issues that has made the news. This is not a cause for major concern. But the jury is still out admittedly.

• Disagree
Reactions: rpiotro and TLLMRRJ
Well, it SUCKS, but at least it doesn't seem to be a heat pump problem per say, but the stupid sensors that can't stand the cold, no? Hopefully Tesla will come up with better ones, at least for the north.
There rumor mill has various claims. This post on reddit claims it has something to do with crystals that clog the sensors (and replacing them only temporarily fixes the problem)? Not sure what that was referring to (maybe coils freezing? how cold was it when people's heat pumps fail).
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...b?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
There are others that says revised sensors were put in that would fix it? So far not a lot of clarity on the issue.

Hallo,

they replaced three pressure sensors and now the car was outside for a about a week. the temperature inside was just -17 celsius. I startet the preheating via the app and the car was so loud and vibrated. Then boom the heatpump stopped and restarted three minutes later again with a loud sound… is that normal ? it felt like an emergency shut-down….

Hallo,

they replaced three pressure sensors and now the car was outside for a about a week. the temperature inside was just -17 celsius. I startet the preheating via the app and the car was so loud and vibrated. Then boom the heatpump stopped and restarted three minutes later again with a loud sound… is that normal ? it felt like an emergency shut-down….

So the Service Center replaced three sensors and you have this recording of noise and the unit starting and stopping. Why aren't you asking the Service Center instead ? If you already have set up an appointment, please let us know what they say afterwards. It would be most helpful when people follow up what the SC says. We never did get a follow up from the originator of this entire discussion who had a Service Appointment.

2018 Model 3. Front heater stopped working on an hour drive in -29°C this weekend. Opened service center request.

Similar symptoms, rear heat worked fine. Taking the heat off manual did not allow heat in the front.
I can feel your pain!
Don<t wait for an appointment and go to the service center right away.
They changed my sensors 2 weeks ago, and the car seems normal!

I have a 2021 M3 and am in Montreal, Canada. Earlier today, as I got in the car, I was greeted with a message on the screen saying that an "unexpected condition" had been detected with the heating and cooling system of the car, that replacement parts had been ordered, and that I schedule a service appointment via the mobile app. Interestingly enough, I don't perceive an issue as the car seems to still heat properly.

Curious to see what they say at Tesla when I bring the car in and what they change. I'll advise after my appointment late next week.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
I just had this part replaced as well, though I thought it was for HVAC. They disassembled my dash to install it, and now it’s rattling like crazy. They’re now trying to address this. How did your install go?
No parts replacement occurred as service could not reproduce the issue. I suspect one of two things occurred:
1) Cars engineered in California didn't expect/test what happens when driven at -35°C @ 120 km/h for an hour. Freezing of something or no operational mode to keep heat to the cabin.
2) An actuator in the car froze and could not operate causing the issue.

I can only hope all the 'cold weather improvements last winter/spring may have been to address this?

My car never had a problem with heat, although I only very briefly tested it when I got the car (we don't have much cold temps here in CA). But my car is in service for other things, and they are preemptively swapping out the pressure sensors:
PT Sensor, Low Pressure(1510048-00-C) 1.00
PT Sensor, High Pressure(1510047-00-C) 2.00
They say to do this they would have to drain all the Freon and refill it.

I'm guessing it's this bulletin (although the part numbers are different):
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10190907-9999.pdf
Found on NHTSA:
2021 TESLA MODEL 3 4 DR RWD | NHTSA