Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 heater not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any fix for this issue? Looks like it's a serious concern, LOTs of people on YT reporting this in comments. Monday stock crash incoming? Sounds like recall is needed.

Just a FYI, “lots of people on YT” does not equate to any statistically relevant data. Really premature to suggest a stock crash is coming because of this.

Hi everyone. I just traded my 2018 M3 for a 2021 Model 3 performance last week. I am having issues with my heater. It doesn’t work. Is this a new issue? I never had issues with my 2018 but I know they changed something on the 2021 heat pump? I have an appointment late this week but wondered if anyone has come across this yet?

OP, would you please update us on the status of your issue? Was it fixed to your satisfaction, and did the SC share any useful information on the cause or the repair? Many thanks.

1. Panel gaps. Yes you’re probably over-analyzing, especially if you have been reading online because the reports of Tesla panel gap issues are greatly exaggerated and lead to FIA. That doesn’t mean yours aren’t out of line, just that the general issue is exaggerated. My understanding is they can adjust the trunk and other panels for you at the Service Center, just make an appointment. I wouldn’t know as my fit and finish were flawless upon delivery (Oct 2018). Maybe have a trusted friend look at them with you to help you determine if the issue is real or more FIA.
2. The heat issue. None of us know how widespread this is right now, could affect a small number of cars or all of them. As you said, it doesn’t really impact you but best to have it looked at and fixed under warranty so it doesn’t hurt your eventual resale value. Perhaps combine the appointment with your panel gap adjustment.
3. FSD. I did not purchase and won’t until it actually works really, really well. Yes that will cost me more money (eventually) but I still think Tesla is years away from a really solid, reliable FSD product. They are making good progress and the current beta on city streets looks amazeballs. IMO you have a long wait ahead of you before you can plug in an address and the car drives you there while you do something else (Nap, read, etc).
4. The car. Still for me, this is the best car I have ever owned by a wide margin. That’s after 2+ years and over 99k miles. Had a Lexus ES in the past, wife currently has a Volvo S60, and neither of those or anything else I’ve ever driven can compare.
Cheers for the thoughts and detail.

On a couple things though. The heat isn’t just for resale but I also plan on making road trips again with this car. I will want the heat to work. Even in Cali the cold at night during winter can get down to 30-45 degrees. In fact, there is only a couple months a year where the night temp doesn’t get below 50 so that one is more than a resale issue.

This morning, and I should tell you I gave my plug in hybrid Chevy Volt to my ex-wife and I went this morning to look it over and there is no visible gaps to be seen. There are a couple on my m3 and I am fine with them all but for the one on the trunk because maybe I’m looking at something that will get worse as I open and close the trunk over the years. Who knows if it’s causing leaking and eventually mildew over time? That one at the very minimum, I noticed on my own while I didn’t notice the other ones until I started to do a deeper inspection after seeing it. I figured the online stuff would sway me so I did a full once over before taking delivery (even did not let them put the money down and deliver the car because I didn’t want to give them my money until I looked it over), however I am still within the 7 day period so I can tell them whatever I want and if I feel it should be fixed, it probably should be because I’m forgiving and pretty laid back about such things.

I am sure there are things I’m not mentioning because I consider them to be within my threshold of tolerance. I find it commendable to be that way and appreciate your attitude about it. People can be too over the too and I also believe there are a lot of people that by the M3 and are probably spending more than they have on any car they’ve ever owned and want perfection and don’t we all but I am a realist.

My volt was a bit less than my Tesla as taken and I only have 2021 SR+ and I am pretty sure that their QC couldn’t have been more (if there was any) because I happen to know the day mine was assembled (friend at the line) and it was in LA within 16 hours of being assembled which is great but doesn’t lend itself to much QC.

That you would even consider the possibility of the heat not working as an option but for the resale shows you’re kinder than even me in this regard and I haven’t met my match on tolerance until I think you. I find the online community to be more of a help (“ok Adam, you’re not crazy”) as some of the stuff I have learned even since yesterday is stuff that I had thought but figured was for other reasons (see below) which you might say is just an inversion of the process we discussed of reading the problem.

For instance, I got a new booster for my daughter with a new mat to put on the passenger side back seat and every time she shuts the door, it didn’t close all the way, which is a new problem for any of our cars and she drives around in 3. Often I have to get out of the drivers seat and to reclosd the door for her because it doesn’t close all the way. Turns out this is a know issue with adults closing doors from even the outside. I put the blame on the new car seat but no, I have to slam the door pretty hard to make it close. Didn’t think much of it and frankly can even live with it but it’s definitely a QC issue and I knew noting of it and found it annoying but didn’t learn it from the forums because I didn’t know about it but learned after the fact so I can’t blame my mind for that one and adults are having to close the door with almost a slam to get it to shut.

As for the FSD, the sales rep assured me it would be there by the end of the year or middle of February and she is extra nice and would not lie and say didn’t say that. If I paid 10k for a smart summon that won’t work and a lane changer than I will be getting a beta or a refund for my FSD. I wouldn’t pay 10k for that ever. I figured since they just released the beta and hiked it to 10k from 8k in a couple weeks or a month that he must have plans to release it soon. Combined with the fact that they are moving to Cali and so probably no special favors from Cali in the future, my doubt went high. It is one thing to be sign something and another to be told “for sure” something for a sale. I even, with her consent, recorded her saying that it was going live by mid February at the latest.

Sounds like I don’t like the car, but to the contrary, for the first time since I had my Volt (which when I had it I liked better than my 750il), I look forward to driving it daily. It’s such a wonderful car and experience to drive but that doesn’t mean that they should get a pass for absolutely terrible QC.

Sure I hope they make their half milk quota but they should still take the time to QC the cars. Back to my earlier statement of they are not rushing then out, well it’s certainly possible, as I know the case with mine is that the QC never really happened and I’ve seen videos on line where a person that ordered a car in October (same exact one as mine but for color and they make them in batches of color), waited 9 weeks for his and had the different color tape marked all over in areas that needed fixing and they weren’t fixed so mine that was ordered in mid November was delivered on the exact same day, Dec 27th.

So I don’t think they are making the cars faster and causing problems as it’s all automated but I am not going to foot the damage that should have been QC’d and fixed at the factory regardless of whether or not they can match Elon’s statement this year from 2014. I get that it’s free publicity and a feather in his proverbial hat and I am a fan of his as a modern day developer of things including all his other endeavors but I want and deserve my car to be at least a 75% acceptance rate of a new car in a mid-luxury price.

Still think you’re getting a lot for your money when you buy a Y or a 3 but it’s a hefty purchase and I want what is wrong (just the major things) to be fixed. I still don’t know if the parking issue is me or the car now. I was blaming everything technical on me as a user because I never used the GUI on a Tesla ever before now but some things don’t add up.

If it was 2014 and they were building 600 by hand a year, I would look at everything with different eyes but losing function so this publícalo traded S&P blue chip stock, should deliver.

In general I do agree with you though, thanks for the response!

Adam

Sorry for adding more to the *TLDR post above but I figured out how to at least get HOT air to blow out of my vents which is probably good enough for me although I did just file an appointment with an SC for January 20th at 11:30.

I wish it mattered that I filed it within my 7 days.

So what I did was just to take it out of “auto” and then it works as long as it’s just blowing the air from the non automatic screen.

Seems pretty odd and definitely lends itself to a software/firmware issue as it’s definitely blowing hit air at 80 out of the front and back vents but if I giren it on auto it just shuts off after you go to the high numbers.

Sorry for adding more to the *TLDR post above but I figured out how to at least get HOT air to blow out of my vents which is probably good enough for me although I did just file an appointment with an SC for January 20th at 11:30.

I wish it mattered that I filed it within my 7 days.

So what I did was just to take it out of “auto” and then it works as long as it’s just blowing the air from the non automatic screen.

Seems pretty odd and definitely lends itself to a software/firmware issue as it’s definitely blowing hit air at 80 out of the front and back vents but if I giren it on auto it just shuts off after you go to the high numbers.

Glad you got the heater to work. Bad time not to have heat. I have a 2018 Model 3 so have not experienced this issue but have read on the forum posts about how Auto works in ways people weren’t expecting it to. Sorry can’t be more specific and I don’t use Auto and I have the older heating system. Comments might have had to do with defrost of windshield?? which would have involved the heating system however. Just remember a few people saying they took their setting off Auto and it resolved their issue.

About some of your other mentioned issues, Did want to mention that there will be a breaking in period for the door seals that require closing the doors with a harder push/pull. It was that way with my car and recall others comments from the time I picked up mine. After a few weeks no longer felt the need to almost slam the door for it to close completely.

If you’re talking about a trunk lid panel not being centered (pictures?), they can do a lot to adjust the trunk from positioning side to side and up and down to be flush with rear panels fit.

I had a frunk hood adjustment done on my car after delivery and they resolved it. Been a great car in the 2+ years since getting it and wish you the same happiness with yours. Wouldn’t ever own an ICE again or a hybrid actually. Love our Teslas too much to consider any switch.

As for service issues I’ve used mobile service for AC filter condenser cleaning, upgrading my HW2.5 system to HW3 and FSD, and just recently my charge port door needed replacing (wouldn’t open). Techs were great and loved the “home service”, especially work done during covid. Would like to see a SvC open up closer to where we are still in event car needs something mobile can’t handle. Wish we could call up and speak to someone at times instead of scheduling service via app especially if you have more of a question, but don’t see that happening anytime soon anyway. Did have a wait, along with many others upgrading, for the HW/FSD parts to come in last year and my charge port door appt did get rescheduled in December as the part hadn’t come in yet. Other than better communication and quicker availability of parts, been a very happy owner.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 95gator
As for the FSD, the sales rep assured me it would be there by the end of the year or middle of February and she is extra nice and would not lie and say didn’t say that.

She's a salesperson, and isn't given any more information on the FSD rollout than any of us are. She might be a total sweetheart and not maliciously lying but she is almost certainly wrong. It's like asking Apple Store sales staff about the iPhone 13. They don't know, and won't know anytime soon, because they are low-level, easily-replaced employees without a need to know.

That's really bad news if it's a physical part that has to be replaced rather than an OTA software fix. They're looking at a massive recall, if so.
Honda just had a recall for over 1.4 million vehicles to "repair drive shafts that can break, window switches that can overheat and a software flaw". You can search it easily and conclude that is massive. If there is a part replacement needed for the 2021 Model 3 and/or Y for heat pumps you are talking about a fraction of the cars Tesla has sold. Short sellers of course will want to conclude massive issues because they want to make money from bad news. My guess is Tesla has already gotten the data needed to identify the issue and will fix the issue without any massive recall. The heat pump has also gone through many changes over the past few months, so there is currently no way of knowing if all heat pumps have an issue. But even if all heat pumps need a part this is not massive.

Glad you got the heater to work. Bad time not to have heat. I have a 2018 Model 3 so have not experienced this issue but have read on the forum posts about how Auto works in ways people weren’t expecting it to. Sorry can’t be more specific and I don’t use Auto and I have the older heating system. Comments might have had to do with defrost of windshield?? which would have involved the heating system however. Just remember a few people saying they took their setting off Auto and it resolved their issue.

About some of your other mentioned issues, Did want to mention that there will be a breaking in period for the door seals that require closing the doors with a harder push/pull. It was that way with my car and recall others comments from the time I picked up mine. After a few weeks no longer felt the need to almost slam the door for it to close completely.

If you’re talking about a trunk lid panel not being centered (pictures?), they can do a lot to adjust the trunk from positioning side to side and up and down to be flush with rear panels fit.

I had a frunk hood adjustment done on my car after delivery and they resolved it. Been a great car in the 2+ years since getting it and wish you the same happiness with yours. Wouldn’t ever own an ICE again or a hybrid actually. Love our Teslas too much to consider any switch.

As for service issues I’ve used mobile service for AC filter condenser cleaning, upgrading my HW2.5 system to HW3 and FSD, and just recently my charge port door needed replacing (wouldn’t open). Techs were great and loved the “home service”, especially work done during covid. Would like to see a SvC open up closer to where we are still in event car needs something mobile can’t handle. Wish we could call up and speak to someone at times instead of scheduling service via app especially if you have more of a question, but don’t see that happening anytime soon anyway. Did have a wait, along with many others upgrading, for the HW/FSD parts to come in last year and my charge port door appt did get rescheduled in December as the part hadn’t come in yet. Other than better communication and quicker availability of parts, been a very happy owner.
Cheers pal. Took my first road trip today and holy crap if the car didn’t improve. I think getting some FSD on the highway and the cameras calibrating for lane changing (also was surprised it let me drive past 25 miles over the speed limit if I wanted to which I don’t but nice to know I can do 10 :) ) also the smart summons and the “lane change” now work as they are calibrated after driving that much (from LA to Newport Beach).

Good to hear about the door, I thought that might be the case.

Funny you say that unsure comment about the defroster on the heat. Without much real reason, I thought that might be something to do with it. Either way, I am fine on getting the air to blow hot without it being on auto. I prefer manual anyway usually.

And yes, the one gap is under the trunk. It’s just uneven and leaves a gap that is too big on one side vs the other.

I’ll send a pic tomorrow. It’s getting late. :)

Cheers for the response. Today I felt a lot more familiar with the car. There is a tiny learning curve to the GUI but it’s intuitive and the car is just insanely fun and I beat a Porche 911 in a parking lot (about 300 yards) and I mean I was done when he was in 3rd gear and I don’t even have the performance. Lol. Love it. I can’t believe it’s faster than my Volt.

She's a salesperson, and isn't given any more information on the FSD rollout than any of us are. She might be a total sweetheart and not maliciously lying but she is almost certainly wrong. It's like asking Apple Store sales staff about the iPhone 13. They don't know, and won't know anytime soon, because they are low-level, easily-replaced employees without a need to know.

She’s actually a regional sales manager and knew a lot of things that were going to happen before they did and exactly as they did. She was cool as hell and her and my girlfriend have all started hanging out since we’ve met her so no. She’s not blowing smoke. She even tried to talk me out of the FSD because she said “don’t you want to drive it”. No, I don’t. I am looking forward to level 5 autonomy one day where I can relax and watch Netflix and wait to arrive. Then when I feel like driving, I will.

Honda just had a recall for over 1.4 million vehicles to "repair drive shafts that can break, window switches that can overheat and a software flaw". You can search it easily and conclude that is massive. If there is a part replacement needed for the 2021 Model 3 and/or Y for heat pumps you are talking about a fraction of the cars Tesla has sold. Short sellers of course will want to conclude massive issues because they want to make money from bad news. My guess is Tesla has already gotten the data needed to identify the issue and will fix the issue without any massive recall. The heat pump has also gone through many changes over the past few months, so there is currently no way of knowing if all heat pumps have an issue. But even if all heat pumps need a part this is not massive.

Why are they putting out cars with diff hardware within such a short period of time? This tells me they aren’t testing properly and are solely focused on pushing sales.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
The hardware changed for 2021, and it's for the better, even if there are some initial issues... but that wasn't the case with the OP. He reported it working fine in manual mode, so it's definitely NOT a hardware issue. Maybe a software glitch, if at all. I've never used auto on ANY of my vehicles because it never works right, at least for me, so there might be nothing wrong with the OP's car. Just like with the wipers, which are also crap in auto mode, it's probably just that they don't work as we expect. I'll use both in manual mode (like I always do), and problem solved :).

Reactions: DDHEverything
They are likely just putting in the new parts when the suppliers have them available. Its hard to get different suppliers to hit 1 date so they just take them as they come. Those Performance M3 folks that got delayed until March next year got a nice reward for the delay.

In the US, recalls are generally for safety defects and/or non-comformance with FMVSS. Heaters not working wouldn't meet that bar anyway.
But with the new octovalve system being used for heating and cooling all major systems in the vehicle it is a little more serious than just loss of cabin heat. If it is faulty batch of parts it would be in their best interests to recall. But after sales service is defiantly not their strong suit.

Reactions: DDHEverything
Maybe not, since that was their estimate, within 0.5% of the final tally.
Yeah, I read that that article is being negated by Tesla and they say, and I think it's fair even if they missed the mark by 450 cars give or take, they can say they made the half mill mark and I'll be happy to give them the okay.

As for concerns that a couple people here said the Tesla stock would take a nosedive and "crash" and possibly be "held" which they do to stop a stock from dropping to incredible lows off of news shows how in a bubble us people on forums talking about their cars really are.

Currently TSLA chilling on the S&P index just keeps getting higher value. It is sitting pretty at about 731.88 (nearing 732, a year high as each new day brings a new high for the most part). It's insane what TSLA did this year in value. Even Elon is trying to bring it back because it WILL pull back a some point. This is crazy speculative value if I've ever seen it. The release of the other EVs don't seem to be effecting the meteoric rise in stock which I expect to see split as I know their are a bunch of middle to upper middle class (and wealthy) people who would love to own some of this stuck without having to spend the $733 (up $25.32) today. So if you bought stock at the close on Friday (or whenever they closed last, don't know exactly because of the holiday), you would have made $25.32 a share.

Also, to show you how fast the stock has taken off from 2012-2013 it went from a penny stock to about $6 and then stayed pretty stagnant and slowly but surely by about 2014 made it's way to about $40. From about 2014-2019 it slowly but steadily without many dips of interest made it's way up to $40 and then to $70 for several months in 2019. THEN 2020, the only person who had a banner year in the world might have been Elon Musk. 2020 January started at about $80 and by February of 2020 it went as high as 160 at one point and then COVID happened and along with everything else in the stock market, TSLA took it's only drop of significance back down to to about $85 a share but with the amount of shares it was selling, the capital on that was significant and the eyes of the banks and apparently as we soon found out, the S&P was keeping it's eye on this company that was changing things in the car world.

THEN, when it became apparent that this company wasn't going to be a player, it was going to change the game, it went INSANE starting in March if you bought TSLA stock, most people would tell you, "you're crazy, you're buying a purely speculative purchase on an idea that's pretty out there and ridiculously ambitious", much like many people told Amazon buyers because they hadn't turned a profit before nearly a decade but there was a lot of money coming in.

ANYWAY, so if you managed to buy TSLA at 85.51 (near it's low in March) per stock, that would be at this moment worth the afore mentioned $735.48 which it is currently at (by the way, when I wrote 731.88 at the beginning of this post and I type extraordinarily fast, you would have made $4 per share during the reading of this post. Because now its at that number. So it is now up basically $30 a share today and still room as the day is in the middle on the East Coast and it definitely is not "CRASHING", the sky is not falling on TSLA and in fact they are nearly 4.5% more valuable now than they were this morning with a capital value of $693.27 BILLION DOLLARS. Good God.

It just went up another .75 cents when I wen to check and apparently the high is 744.49 (which it might have been at today but that's the 52wk high which is the high of the entire company ever).

Sorry to go so off topic but I just googled TSLA to get the stock price and was amazed at the capital they have. They are sitting on more money than most companies in the entire planet. For the amount of money they make, having a market cap val of having a TRILLION dollars in its site is absolutely absurd. I'm a risk taker and I don't know if I would ever buy that. It sure is fun to watch that stock though.

Yeah, no crash yet but there will definitely be a major dip if there is an actual recall for something, but my guess is there won't be. The heat thing is apparently a very easy fix, even there is one.

WOW, mods that was off topic although we talked about it and very long. Sorry for both but I am procrastinating trying to work. :)

EDIT: It is now at 736.08 (and I edited this 20 seconds after I just went to check before I closed the window with the stock price).

So now it's legit over $30 per share today at right now $30.41 per share more than the opening bell. THAT IS. INSANE. I never do that period thing to make a sentence point before but wow.

yeah it really is off topic (lol), but I am also surfing here attempting to avoid doing some work as we return back from the holiday break (lmao).

Anyway, I am not going to move it, but would encourage any other discussion about TSLA as an investment to be directed to the (very active) community that is here on TMC specifically for that. You can find it here:

TSLA Investor Discussions

I dont participate in that part of TMC (I dont own any TSLA), but I understand that community is very active, and might interest you, as it appears you have some interest in the topic.

• Funny
Reactions: 95gator