Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 model 3 LR heat blowing cold. Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issue and error code in my month old 2022 MY with the V11 (2021.44.30). I dropped it off at the Tesla service center and they were able to fix it in two days. It appears to be hardware issue. I think I heard the service advisor say leak in the system and needed to replace radiator and supermanifold. I noticed this issue as my MY fail preconditioning which was followed by that error code. The only thing I had done different was the software update.

Did this fix the issue? Please keep us posted

Yeah my dad has a model Y coming in April but he doesn’t seem too phased by these issues. I guess I’m not as phased either. It’s disappointing for sure but countless new vehicles have issues and recalls and Tesla is a very new company

It really makes me think of my stint at GM during the northern winters in Alberta here. Regularly -20 to -30C with frequent dips to -40 and when all the new diesels had to have exhaust fluid by law. All these oil drilling companies bought a bunch of fleet trucks and they were all coming back in limp mode because the DEF(diesel exhaust fluid) kept freezing

We continually told out our customers that GM sells twice as many trucks in Cali than Canada and these cold weather things are after thoughts.

Even after us having to instal heaters on the fluid tanks, they were still having issues.

Extreme winters bring out the worst in all makes and models, old and new and most ICE issues leave you unable to drive. Atleast my Tesla still drove without the heat, although it sucked

Had the same issue after Supercharging without preconditioning the battery. When I got home I parked in the garage for 15 minutes and the. I did a full reboot of vehicle systems via Controls > Safety > Power Off, didn't touch anything for 3 minutes, then pushed the brake and heat came out properly. I did put the heat on Auto and Recirculate as I read in some posts.

Had the same issue after Supercharging without preconditioning the battery. When I got home I parked in the garage for 15 minutes and the. I did a full reboot of vehicle systems via Controls > Safety > Power Off, didn't touch anything for 3 minutes, then pushed the brake and heat came out properly. I did put the heat on Auto and Recirculate as I read in some posts.
That’s what worked for me

Safe to say for me, since the update I haven’t had the issue. It’s been -15 to -20C here since the update Preconditioning, heating, longer drives, etc have all been good!

Woke up to the same issue this morning: failed to precondition on schedule, VCFRONT_a447 error. Outside temperature overnight was -19ºC. I am on version 2021.44.30 but would caution that correlation does not imply causation.. this is the first very cold weather my car has seen, regardless of software version.

The weather will warm up considerably today so there's that... but I am concerned about the long drive back to civilization.

Reactions: Nikxice
Sharing this from the canada forum, it seems we should check our front grille flap when this happens?

Edit: I just saw 2021.44.30.2 rolling out, is this maybe the fix?
Sharing this from the canada forum, it seems we should check our front grille flap when this happens?

Edit: I just saw 2021.44.30.2 rolling out, is this maybe the fix?
Can confirm I have ice buildup around my radiator louver, and it was in the open position when the car was off otherwise. I'm going to try to get rid of this later today.

9E7B7318-A136-4DD1-817E-DFCD36F2C766.jpeg

Can confirm I have ice buildup around my radiator louver, and it was in the open position when the car was off otherwise. I'm going to try to get rid of this later today.

View attachment 754884
Well, I know that it never stays open when the car is off, so this means that it could be one of the symptoms. They could also show a message explaining, if this causes the compressor to stop.

Reactions: rypalmer
"This is a firmware issue currently under investigation by Tesla as it was recently discovered due to the recent extreme cold climates. "

It wasn't caused by recent cold. It was caused by an engineering oversight combined withTesla failing to adequately test their cars in cold real-world environments.

Reactions: Chemios
I just got this error (VCFRONT_a447) on my ‘21 SR+ w/ 2021.44.30.7 in very sunny 30°C / 86°F conditions sitting stationary on my driveway. The climate control system would only blow warm (ambient temp) air.

I shut down and restarted the car (safety->shutdown), and the system began working as expected.

After reading this thread, I checked the grille and area around the shutter and four a small rock behind the grille. I’m not sure if it was impeding the shutter, but it’s now removed (photo taken after it was removed).
95769D36-C7BA-4B3E-B0BC-1006CE502399.jpeg

Got a VCFRONT_a161CompressorFault myself last December (same problem, no heat) which was fixed by replacing the compressor and supermanifold. Daughter's M3 got the dreaded VCFRONT_a447 error today. Both are SR+ 2021. She's already at 2021.44.30.7. Car was parked, plugged in, since last Thursday outside, temperature ranging from -30C to -5C. It's -16C now. Sucks