Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 model 3 LR heat blowing cold. Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn’t it summer right now for you? Or is your Melbourne not in Australia?
Yes, I'm in Australia, it is summer, and it is warm. The symptoms for the failure here have been the climate control system blowing ambient temp air at the highest fan speed.

I made a service appointment via the app a few days ago and attached the error code. I got a call yesterday from someone at the local Tesla service centre who said they've ordered parts for the repair and rescheduled my service.

Got a VCFRONT_a161CompressorFault myself last December (same problem, no heat) which was fixed by replacing the compressor and supermanifold. Daughter's M3 got the dreaded VCFRONT_a447 error today. Both are SR+ 2021. She's already at 2021.44.30.7. Car was parked, plugged in, since last Thursday outside, temperature ranging from -30C to -5C. It's -16C now. Sucks
Hmm, somehow I lost the ability to edit my post... Anyway, she just got a called today. They're taking in her car tomorrow and lending her a car while it's being fixed. Only good thing to say about our service center so far :)

Yes, I'm in Australia, it is summer, and it is warm. The symptoms for the failure here have been the climate control system blowing ambient temp air at the highest fan speed.

I made a service appointment via the app a few days ago and attached the error code. I got a call yesterday from someone at the local Tesla service centre who said they've ordered parts for the repair and rescheduled my service.
Oh I see…I thought this error was for a malfunctioning heat pump. Must be a more general climate control or sensor error

Last edited:
I've been dealing with HVAC issues since September. I already had one set of actuators replaced, then another set, and while they were doing that they needed to replace a temperature sensor. I had to give them exact times I was using HVAC so they could look at logs. The problem STILL isn't solved. Three appointments, and I still can't get my car to provide heat consistently.
Could 'lemon law' be used in those circumstances?

Hey. I have a S Plaid. I first had this same error January 14. After 5 weeks tesla finally completed a full replacement of the climate system. Yesterday (2/24), not even a week after getting the car back, my car is now back to square 1. Same exact error. I brought it directly to Tesla and they assured me that there was no hardware issue, it was firmware. It’s absurd that after over a month of not having my car, waiting for parts, and not even having the car back for a week it’s already broken again. I’m honestly just ready to lemon law this car…

Hey. I have a S Plaid. I first had this same error January 14. After 5 weeks tesla finally completed a full replacement of the climate system. Yesterday (2/24), not even a week after getting the car back, my car is now back to square 1. Same exact error. I brought it directly to Tesla and they assured me that there was no hardware issue, it was firmware. It’s absurd that after over a month of not having my car, waiting for parts, and not even having the car back for a week it’s already broken again. I’m honestly just ready to lemon law this car…
I also have a Model S Plaid, and this morning (Feb 26 2022) the heater stopped working with an error code VCFRONT_a447. The car was making some strange fart-like noises to go with that.

Scheduled an appointment with the app for the earliest possible date (March 21 2022). 😔

Reactions: bkokes
I've been dealing with HVAC issues since September. I already had one set of actuators replaced, then another set, and while they were doing that they needed to replace a temperature sensor. I had to give them exact times I was using HVAC so they could look at logs. The problem STILL isn't solved. Three appointments, and I still can't get my car to provide heat consistently.
I had the same struggle after receiving my early heat pump car (Dec 2020 delivery). It went in to the shop 5 times before they sorted it (well, hopefully, haven't had the issue in a few months) and I think they replaced: high & low side evap pressure/temp sensors, the evaporator, and the compressor.

It's an odd intermittent issue, but I think it might be due to a marginally functioning compressor that occasionally trips in just the right conditions, but can reset after enough time or a full power cycle. One odd thing I had was that when it would go bad, occasionally it would pump full heat until you change the temperature at all, then it would cut off entirely. That one might have been due to faulty P/T sensors though.