Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 LR to older Model X for more space.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, 👋
Looking for opinions and suggestions here.

It's been about a year now with my Model 3 Long Range(Fremont) and I love it but with a family of 4 with two child seats in the back. I wish for a little more space both in storage and the inside. Too bad Model Y not coming to Japan yet.

I also have a new Model X in reservation. Made a reservation before they took out the price from the website. So with no tentative delivery date for a new Model X, I'm thinking about selling mine and getting a used 6 seater 2017 or newer(whichever I could find)Model X and changing it later or even canceling my model x reservation if things work out with the X.

I'd love to hear more from Model X owners here about the experience (good or bad) or some common issues with the X or even if you will ever trade your X with model 3.

Things that I'm concerned about so far
- less range on Model X than Model 3 (even with 100D or Long Range)
- Older tech (MCU, etc) I have sent an email asking about an MCU upgrade but haven't gotten a reply yet.
- ???

Thanks in advance! 🙏

Attachments

• 272111112_660153131845610_3804254793233525831_n.jpg
    272111112_660153131845610_3804254793233525831_n.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 141
Hi all, 👋
Looking for opinions and suggestions here.

It's been about a year now with my Model 3 Long Range(Fremont) and I love it but with a family of 4 with two child seats in the back. I wish for a little more space both in storage and the inside. Too bad Model Y not coming to Japan yet.

I also have a new Model X in reservation. Made a reservation before they took out the price from the website. So with no tentative delivery date for a new Model X, I'm thinking about selling mine and getting a used 6 seater 2017 or newer(whichever I could find)Model X and changing it later or even canceling my model x reservation if things work out with the X.

I'd love to hear more from Model X owners here about the experience (good or bad) or some common issues with the X or even if you will ever trade your X with model 3.

Things that I'm concerned about so far
- less range on Model X than Model 3 (even with 100D or Long Range)
- Older tech (MCU, etc) I have sent an email asking about an MCU upgrade but haven't gotten a reply yet.
- ???

Thanks in advance! 🙏
I just did exactly that. I wanted to order the refresh X but was told at least 2 years delivery to japan for ordering a new model x today due to the chip shortage and japan not being a priority market at the moment and not being a high volume product to begin with.
So I went with a used 2017 100d with all the specs I wanted. There are only about 20 or so used Xs available country-wide at the moment according to the major used car sites (goo, car-sensor etc).
I’ll be picking it up next week and will keep you updated. I got the used dealer to install an auto-frunk through the dealer. They are sending it to Tesla to be inspected and serviced if necessary before I pick it up. While there Tesla is upgrading it to MCU2.0 and AP hardware 3.0. The upgrade is 230,000 for MCU 2.0 and I think AP3 is free because it has the enhanced AP package. The dealer also gave me a 3 year limited warranty and roadside assistance for 600,000.
My first tesla so hoping it will be good

Attachments

• E1A02969-F39B-451C-AD7E-8E952AEA4F19.jpeg
    E1A02969-F39B-451C-AD7E-8E952AEA4F19.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 673C945D-385A-413C-8860-C52BE17C90FE.jpeg
    673C945D-385A-413C-8860-C52BE17C90FE.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 57
@apisit , I'm a long-time Model X owner (since it was introduced in Japan in Jan 2017) with 98,000km, so that I can give you some tips.

>less range on Model X than Model 3 (even with 100D or Long Range)

I believe so. In terms of EPA range, Model 3 LR exceeds at least 499km, whereas my X P100D EPA range is 462km (I think X 100D or LR is better but does not exceed Model 3 LR range). In addition, in winter, Model X uses an inefficient PTC heater for cabin heat. In contrast, Model 3 newer models use a heat pump, which is usually 2x to 3x more efficient than PTC in our mild Tokyo weather.

>Older tech (MCU, etc.) I have sent an email asking about an MCU upgrade
You can upgrade at the Tesla Service Center, but 2017 has AP2, not AP2.5, and Tesla only upgrades the autopilot computer to AP3, the dashboard screen, and MCU2 (center screen). The differences between (AP3 upgraded from AP2) and (AP3 upgraded from AP2.5) are cameras. AP2 had CCCB cameras, whereas AP2.5 or later cars have RGB cameras. Not sure these cause any issues with FSD in the distant future, but at this time, the only problem is your dashcam footage looks a little bit yellow-ish. I heard a rumor that some people receive camera upgrades from CCCB to RGB in the US, but I think that's not yet very common.

Model X has a few key differences from Model 3.
1. The body is quite more enormous. It is wider than GM Hummer. As a result, model X won't fit in most mechanical parking. For coin-operated parking lots, if you have 22inch wheels, you usually have 5mm left on each side of your wheels.
Above are 20-inch wheels.

2. Panels gaps are wider in Model X, and they are difficult to fix.

3. FWD (falcon wing doors) are lovely and very useful, but try opening and closing it before committing to buy. Some FWDs rub against body panels. A rubbing sign of 1cm is acceptable.

4. Model X received a lot of mid-production changes. Unfortunately, it means you need a lot longer time to receive repair parts. In the past, I heard a few months wait. My case is very, very, very special, but it took one year and three months to repair.

@apisit , I'm a long-time Model X owner (since it was introduced in Japan in Jan 2017) with 98,000km, so that I can give you some tips.

>less range on Model X than Model 3 (even with 100D or Long Range)

I believe so. In terms of EPA range, Model 3 LR exceeds at least 499km, whereas my X P100D EPA range is 462km (I think X 100D or LR is better but does not exceed Model 3 LR range). In addition, in winter, Model X uses an inefficient PTC heater for cabin heat. In contrast, Model 3 newer models use a heat pump, which is usually 2x to 3x more efficient than PTC in our mild Tokyo weather.

>Older tech (MCU, etc.) I have sent an email asking about an MCU upgrade
You can upgrade at the Tesla Service Center, but 2017 has AP2, not AP2.5, and Tesla only upgrades the autopilot computer to AP3, the dashboard screen, and MCU2 (center screen). The differences between (AP3 upgraded from AP2) and (AP3 upgraded from AP2.5) are cameras. AP2 had CCCB cameras, whereas AP2.5 or later cars have RGB cameras. Not sure these cause any issues with FSD in the distant future, but at this time, the only problem is your dashcam footage looks a little bit yellow-ish. I heard a rumor that some people receive camera upgrades from CCCB to RGB in the US, but I think that's not yet very common.

Model X has a few key differences from Model 3.
1. The body is quite more enormous. It is wider than GM Hummer. As a result, model X won't fit in most mechanical parking. For coin-operated parking lots, if you have 22inch wheels, you usually have 5mm left on each side of your wheels.
Above are 20-inch wheels.

2. Panels gaps are wider in Model X, and they are difficult to fix.

3. FWD (falcon wing doors) are lovely and very useful, but try opening and closing it before committing to buy. Some FWDs rub against body panels. A rubbing sign of 1cm is acceptable.

4. Model X received a lot of mid-production changes. Unfortunately, it means you need a lot longer time to receive repair parts. In the past, I heard a few months wait. My case is very, very, very special, but it took one year and three months to repair.
Great information!
I was very surprised and sad to hear the Model X will not fit in my tower parking based on all measurements except height. It is 3 cm too long, 200 kg too heavy, and 14 cm too wide. I was surprised, as this tower is able to fit Alphard, X5, Lexus LS, Benz S-class, land cruiser prado, even Delica with a high roof. Model X is really big.

Please allow me to hijack this thread for a moment. All Model X questions, so hopefully it is relevant.
Hiroshiy-san, how is it for typical parking spaces at supermarkets or shopping centres? Do the wheels extend over the lines? Also, what is your real world range like?

Also, does it tend to fit in automatic washers here, or is handwashing the only way to go?

Last one (for now), I was quoted around 13,000yen a month for insurance. Is this a typical cost? I was surprised as it was about the same as I was paying for a significantly cheaper Benz.

@Pillage
Thanks 🙏 Exactly like what you said. Chip shortage and other things. My Tesla Advisor said the same that it could be about 2-3 years. I guess I'm going to get a used one for now. Thanks for the photos. That's a great looking combination! Love blue and black trim! I'm sure you will enjoy your new model X.
Did you have the dealer do the black trim as well? If you don't mind me PMing you, I'd like to know more details about the dealer and the car.

@hiroshiy
Thanks 🙏 Great information and tips. Wow.. waiting a year and 3 months to repair 😮
I moved from Tokyo to Nagano last year and am glad that I don't have to worry about finding parking anymore but the roads around here are quite narrow. However, seeing a fair amount of G-class and a few model Xs around. Maybe narrow roads would be less of an issue.
I knew about a new heat pump in the newer model 3 being very efficient but didn't know it's that much more efficient than the older ones. It's cold around here so having better thermal management would be ideal but the old one should still be enough I assume. Falcon Wing Doors would be amazing for us getting kids in and out. (my lower back would thank me)

Gonna move forward with getting a used X now.

Thanks again @Pillage and @hiroshiy