Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 LR vs 2020 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey I am pretty close to the finish line of deciding what are used car I want to buy a new nothing about these things a month ago but I feel like after the last month I have a decent amount of knowledge.
My downfall is that the first one that I test drove was a performance and my brain has been stuck there since.
But I have two different offers where I can buy either a 2021 long range with only 6000 miles or a 2020 performance with around 10,000 miles for about the same price.
I know a lot of this will come down to personal preference. Since the 2021 had a refresh and a handful of upgrades do you guys think it is worth it to just get that or is the performance still king in this situation

Any feedback is much appreciated thank you!!!

Disclaimer:
I know I am new when this is my first post please do not assassinate me for that my budget is relatively not a topic with this as they are the same price however I know the 21 would have a better resale value I’m assuming

only 4k miles different isn't that much. So I would just focus on the differences between 2020 vs 2021, and LR vs Performance. I'm sure others can chime in with much better knowledge, but just a few things off the top of my head are, double pane windows, center console update, black trim instead of chrome, etc.

And between LR and Performance, now that I just switched from 2019 Performance to a 2022 LR, I do miss it. So it's like you said, can you live with the difference? I can. The other thing you get with Performance of course is the brakes and track mode (which you can't get even if later you decide to spend $2k on the acceleration boost).

Thank you for responding. Well that’s what I’m trying to get a more solid idea on because some people tell me the upgrades or refresh from the 21 to the 20 they are like negligible and the other people were telling me it’s a massive improvement in no matter the trim. Other than the ones you mentioned n the glove box n smaller trunk and I guess slight difference in the silhouette I’ve heard it’s pretty identical

Range isn’t a factor I don’t take very long trips in my complex as many EV charging stations literally in my parking lot 100 feet from my condo.

Also I live in an area that’s Got completely packed like a city but it’s more on the urban/suburbs Side versus rural. Also it’s growing because everyone’s moving to south Florida (No state income tax, very little Covid restrictions) I test drove the 21 long range without the boost the other day and it was awesome and it’s been so long since I drove the performance I was more than satisfied.

I guess besides 0-60 straight line difference, is there anything else that’s noticeable on a regular basis when driving a performance vs long range ?
Also I’m already fully committed that I’m going to wrap it in a Nardo grey n get the red calipers, so I have a look in mind and I don’t like the wheels really on LR.
Is it possible or is it stupid to get other wheels or besides the aerodynamic ones that come with the LR 21 standard ?

I am not sure if you can edit a post I tried to see if I could but I couldn’t find it.. but i meant:
only 4k miles different isn't that much. So I would just focus on the differences between 2020 vs 2021, and LR vs Performance. I'm sure others can chime in with much better knowledge, but just a few things off the top of my head are, double pane windows, center console update, black trim instead of chrome, etc.

And between LR and Performance, now that I just switched from 2019 Performance to a 2022 LR, I do miss it. So it's like you said, can you live with the difference? I can. The other thing you get with Performance of course is the brakes and track mode (which you can't get even if later you decide to spend $2k on the acceleration boost).

Well yes as long as the mileage is under 20K it doesn’t matter to me because Knowing me I will probably sell it in 2 to 3 years which again is part of the reason why I’m getting this vehicle because the resale value is insane

Sidenote: I have been in the trenches of the resale market for year 2020 through 2022 for long range and performance model 3’s for like a month literally every day and I don’t think it’s coincidence that even newer performances always have a higher mileage from ppl 😂😂

Thank you for responding. Well that’s what I’m trying to get a more solid idea on because some people tell me the upgrades or refresh from the 21 to the 20 they are like negligible and the other people were telling me it’s a massive improvement in no matter the trim. Other than the ones you mentioned n the glove box n smaller trunk and I guess slight difference in the silhouette I’ve heard it’s pretty identical

Range isn’t a factor I don’t take very long trips in my complex as many EV charging stations literally in my parking lot 100 feet from my condo.

Also I live in an area that’s Got completely packed like a city but it’s more on the urban/suburbs Side versus rural. Also it’s growing because everyone’s moving to south Florida (No state income tax, very little Covid restrictions) I test drove the 21 long range without the boost the other day and it was awesome and it’s been so long since I drove the performance I was more than satisfied.

I guess besides 0-60 straight line difference, is there anything else that’s noticeable on a regular basis when driving a performance vs long range ?
Also I’m already fully committed that I’m going to wrap it in a Nardo grey n get the red calipers, so I have a look in mind and I don’t like the wheels really on LR.
Is it possible or is it stupid to get other wheels or besides the aerodynamic ones that come with the LR 21 standard ?

The better "value" in tesla model 3 land is in the LR model, especially since you can now get a "factory tune" with the over-the-air upgrade (performance boost). The performance is suited for:

1. People who like "the fastest one I can afford"
2. People who will utilize track mode / can tell the difference in track mode
3. People who want the OEM upgrades the performance has on it like spoiler, wheels.

I have a performance because I fall into point 1 above. This car is the "fastest car I can afford", as it relates to day to day driving. My wife has a performance Y when the standard range one would have been fine, because I am also a person who suffers from FOMO very much, and tends to buy the "highest trim / version I can afford" of most things I buy, and then "grow into them".

Even with the above being said, unless you are like me, or you will be tracking the car, the LR is usually a better buy for most. Buy the car, then get the performance boost for it like 1 month later or something. That will let you feel like you got a tune on your car, and it will be faster than just about anything else on the road you might come up against that isnt a Tesla, at least from a stoplight.

If you are performance minded, go for perf over LR. The 2021 changes are minor. I'm biased but I also have a coworker with LR that has mentioned over a dozen times that they wish they bought performance. Everyone's priorities are different though. Both are seriously amazing, you can't go wrong.

Reactions: 1100MCM
All right again thanks for responding . I am fully confident I’ll be more than happy with a long range. I guess the only thing I would say in relation to your message is I definitely suffer from FOMO in regards to stuff like this.
Does the performance retain value better because of its reputation or no because in this case it’s a year older and also because it’ll wear down quicker?

There's an older thread on this, but I agree with everyone else. If you plan to track the car, get the Performance.

I went with the LR and it is a great car. You can get the $2K boost if you want some more performance from it. The extra range is also nice. While I don't need the range for my daily commute it's great to have on weekends when we go to Orlando and back on a single charge. I don't plan to track the car and nobody really cares what it is. Most non-Tesla friends and co-workers think I have an S. :D

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
All right again thanks for responding . I am fully confident I’ll be more than happy with a long range. I guess the only thing I would say in relation to your message is I definitely suffer from FOMO in regards to stuff like this.
Does the performance retain value better because of its reputation or no because in this case it’s a year older and also because it’ll wear down quicker?
Trying to pre plan residual value (how much the car will be worth whenever you sell it) has never made sense to me as a metric for buying a car, unless you are going to buy it with the intention to sell in the next 1-2 years.

Right now, all of them are holding their value very well, comparatively speaking. In general, an older car should have had more depreciation, but "in general" doesnt apply to this car market. Its not a good time to buy a car... period... unless you have to. You are picking amongst overpriced options even as it relates to a car that holds its value well.

There is no "deal" now on a used (or new) car, so buy the one you want, and plan to hold onto it for long enough that the depreciation wont really matter.

Reactions: FLMan and tm1v2
For regular driving the 2021 LR over the 2020 P, easily. Overall they're the same car but the 2021 refinements are numerous and add up.

For more intense driving fun the 2020 P over the 2021 LR, easily. ;) If you're the kind of driver to really push your car hard around turns, you will want Track Mode. Or if you live life a quarter mile at a time, the P is for you.

For all the 2021+ improvements, none makes the car any faster or more fun. To most people the LR is already plenty fast, and it's basically just as fun right up until the overbearing nannies clamp things down. If that will be a problem for you then get the 2020 P, otherwise get the 2021 LR.

(@jjrandorin hit the nail on the head as usual. I fall into #2 from that post, as I'm sure you can tell!)

Worth mentioning: By many accounts Tesla softened the Model 3 suspension around the beginning of 2021. It sounds like you tested the 2020 P but not the 2021 LR. The 2021 may feel softer, with a somewhat smoother ride but less responsive handling.

(The main difference seems to be 2021 vs older, not LR vs P. For example 2021 M3P are reported to feel softer than older M3LR.)

Last edited:
One very important point I didn't see mentioned yet: Tesla doesn't much care about model year boundaries when introducing product changes, so most changes don't fall on those boundaries. Not all 2021 model year cars have all the improvements that we label as "2021+" on these forums. And every so often Tesla will quietly substitute an older or inferior part if they run out of the newer/better one.

Verify any features that are important to you! Don't assume anything from its model year or even its build date.

(This advice holds even if buying a brand new Tesla...)

The 18" wheels on the LR provide more cushion and are less likely to be damaged from a pothole, etc. I have an LR, it's a great, fast car (and that's without acceleration boost).

IMO, the larger wheels are the only downside to the P.

If you're buying a daily driver / commuter vehicle primarily for transportation, the LR might be a winner. If you can't have less than the fastest, you should definitely grab the P.

Truly though, you can't go wrong either way. Congrats on the car, good luck with your decision.

The amount of people who have responded and gave feedback on this so quickly is pretty incredible open in order for him to our communities in the past and never seen answers/help/engagement to a question so fast.
I actually just watched a video yesterday where someone purchased the 2021 three and they noticed no improvement in sound for the double paint window vs the 2020 they had. He mentioned later that there may be a panel gap problem in his driver‘s door because it seemed like a lot of the noise was coming from there🤷🏼‍♂️.

Which is also something that seemed a little surprising as well because I just read something the other day about that Sandy Munro (I don’t really know him but apparently he’s in with very well respected in big name in the car and electric car world) kind of eviscerated the original model three and when he drove the “refreshed” 2021 he was blown away how well put together the car was and how it seemed there were no panel gal issues whatsoever.

Lastly, (don’t want to bombard here)

1. I actually did test drive the long range 2021 on Thursday and loved it but is it pretty much widely accepted and understood that it is a much smoother/relaxed ride than the performance if that is something you desire at times.
2. I know the answer to this is coming from a very biased group but I’ve had a Mercedes in the past and Audi and as far as the way they drove compared to this they weren’t even in the same universe. Safe to say you’re gonna be in the top 5% as far as quality of how it drives with either one?

LR is fast, the P is just more aggressive from 0-60.

Daily driver, I prefer 18-19” wheels and tires. They are more comfortable, handle better, less prone to pothole damage (been there before on Texas roads) and less expensive to replace tires.

P - amazing 0-60, throw you back in your seat acceleration. Much harder hit than the LR off the line.

P’s bigger brakes only come into play if you track the car, as regenerative brakes do a majority of daily driving stopping.

2020 P”s suspension is lower and firmer. More sporty, however on rough road not so much fun.

Range - You’d expect the P to be less. Part due to the 20” wheels and tires, and more energy needed in the motors to preform their best.

Really depends on what you need and what your budget can digest.

Warranty - take into consideration which one best fits your ownership.

Resale value - that’s a wild card in the future with anything.

Both have their pros and cons. Can’t go wrong either way.

Flip a coin if you are still undecided.