Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 LR vs 2020 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t want to beat a did horse here but I was just thinking… Let’s say I decided I really do want to get the performance if I wanted to get an even better price And maybe get even better value wouldn’t a 19 have pretty much zero difference compared to a ‘20. And even if the miles are lower I can likely get it for less

The used market has been very high for a while, are you sure you're getting enough of a saving over purchasing brand new? It not unheard of for people to pay higher than new for a used Tesla just because they don't want to wait in line. That's not a worthwhile trade-off to me. A new car gets you a brand new battery, maximum warranty, and the latest technology.

Just make sure you know your numbers well. And if the price of a 3 year used P is the same as a brand new LR, that's an easy decision in my opinion... get the new LR.

Reactions: tm1v2
The used market has been very high for a while, are you sure you're getting enough of a saving over purchasing brand new? It not unheard of for people to pay higher than new for a used Tesla just because they don't want to wait in line. That's not a worthwhile trade-off to me. A new car gets you a brand new battery, maximum warranty, and the latest technology.

Just make sure you know your numbers well. And if the price of a 3 year used P is the same as a brand new LR, that's an easy decision in my opinion... get the new LR.
+1 If your budget and situation allows it, in the current market, it makes more sense to buy a new car

Reactions: DocHolliday
From 21 to 22 for the long range were there any changes at all really? Because somehow there’s a dealership near me that’s selling a 22 for about the same price actually even less and I looked at the history and everything and it’s all fine so I don’t know why there a listing at that price maybe its the end of the month idk 🤷🏼‍♂️

Trust me That’s what I’ve been dealing with. But I’m also having a third-party who specifically deals with Teslas doing an inspection on whatever I get. On the tesla site, the used ones from the site seem to be going for more and there’s also almost a 30 day waiting period and I’m in a weird position compared to most. I got in an almost deadly accident six months ago and my Mercedes was totaled. So my reason for not wanting to wait I feel slightly more understandable than just being impatient.

You might know this or maybe you don’t but inventory is so bad right now the large majority of used Teslas for sale are at dealerships from a different make it’s like pretty normalized at this point I think. The problem with that is a lot of the people there or salesman know nothing about Teslas because it’s a completely different animal as you know. But I can also kind of play that to my advantage since I’ve done a fair share of reading online and researching about it by now

From 21 to 22 for the long range were there any changes at all really? Because somehow there’s a dealership near me that’s selling a 22 for about the same price actually even less and I looked at the history and everything and it’s all fine so I don’t know why there a listing at that price maybe its the end of the month idk 🤷🏼‍♂️
@Around04 Beginning late 2021 calendar year, Tesla started switching Model 3 and Y builds to use MCU3 infotainment computer instead of the older, slower MCU2. MCU3 cars also have a Lithium low-voltage battery (15V) instead of lead-acid (12V), and many also have heated wiper rest. There were several months at least where both MCU2 and MCU3 were coming off the line in Fremont though, not all 2022 cars have MCU3!

For now MCU3 software features are the same, it's just faster, though of course that could change in the future eventually. There is zero driving experience advantage to MCU3, except smoother backup cam, but it will load games, YouTube, etc faster and may get more advanced games in the future. (Maybe, not guarantee.)

There are a few downsides to newer cars though. First in mid-2021, around April I think, calendar year Tesla stopped including passenger lumbar support and the forward radar sensor (not sure if those changes were made together or separate). Without the radar sensor, OR if you have FSB Beta (regardless of sensors), your car is "Vision-Only" (VO) for TACC (adaptive cruise control), and in my experience VO TACC is worse than any hardware version of radar-based TACC. (My Model 3 is VO, and I've driven many many Model S loaners with AP1, AP2.0, AP2.5 with radar.) While it's possible to retrofit the hardware for both radar and passenger lumbar, the car won't use either unless you get its software config updated to match, which Tesla generally refuses to do for any unofficial retrofit.

Next, in late calendar year 2021, late October I think, Tesla stopped giving the front USB-C ports a data connection to the MCU, so they can no longer be used for USB music or gamepads. I believe virtually every single MCU3 lacks the data connection from the factory, as well as virtually every Model Year 2022 3/Y i.e. cars built from November 2021 onward. Cars without this data connection currently lack games that require a gamepad, namely Sonic, and continue to lack those games even if you retrofit data ports. (USB music/storage will work with retrofit though.)

Final 2022 regression I know of is Tesla has run out of the newer matrix LED "global" headlights at times lately and built batches of 2022 Model 3's with the old "premium" reflector lights. Again even if you retrofit the hardware you'd need a config update too and Tesla usually won't do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocHolliday
So this guy reached out to me because he knew I was looking for a model three and from the looks of it he basically ordered one and it’s coming next week and is pretty much selling his spot in the line for $2800.

So it would be brand-new and like cheaper than anything else ever.

That’s beside the point. Is this even like possible to do but I feel like first of all it’s definitely not allowed and even if it wasn’t like monitored, would it even be possible?
Or is this just clearly a scam.

I took screenshots they are attached

Attachments

• 49220743-000B-41D2-BA47-B5C29D98959F.png
    49220743-000B-41D2-BA47-B5C29D98959F.png
    516 KB · Views: 74
  • BC18250C-69E8-4F8A-8385-4063809271B7.png
    BC18250C-69E8-4F8A-8385-4063809271B7.png
    410.8 KB · Views: 56
So this guy reached out to me because he knew I was looking for a model three and from the looks of it he basically ordered one and it’s coming next week and is pretty much selling his spot in the line for $2800.

That’s beside the point. Is this even like possible to do but I feel like first of all it’s definitely not allowed and even if it wasn’t like monitored, would it even be possible?

Tesla put a stop to selling your reservation Earlier this year. You need prior written prior approval from them. Essentially, a Reservation holder would need to buy it and pay TTL - then resell it.

Due your due diligence first.

You do realize you are basically saying:

"Someone I dont know, unsolicited, reached out to me to try to sell me their tesla reservation for $2800", right?

To answer your other question, correct, tesla does not allow this, however some people work around it in a few various ways, that require some trust between both parties. Are you willing to trust someone who reached out to you, unsolicited, that you dont know, and gamble $2800 on a process that is absolutely not allowed by tesla (but that some people work around?)

Different people have different levels of risk tolerance, but, for myself, there is NO WAY IN HECK I would ever respond to an unsolicited chat thats basically "pssst... hey buddy... I hear you want to buy a tesla..... have I got a deal for you" even if "some people" have figured out loopholes in making these transfers.

It wasn’t out of the blue but trust me that’s why I took a screenshot because I wasn’t really anything less than skeptical from the start and I just wanted to see what the rule was on it.
My better thinking figured Tesla had some kind of restrictions in place.

I wasn’t about to be like “oh great do you take MasterCard?” 😅… I’m naturally skeptical of everything so my antennas were up from the jump.

I wanted to see what everybody’s take on this was because I’ve read it one place and now I feel like I’m kind of seeing it everywhere.

Would you guys agree that it’s safe to say out of all three trims the LR AWD Is actually probably the least fun to drive and Ranked probably last as far as strictly handling of the vehicle with obviously performance being first and then everybody says standard range plus actually handles a lot better because the RWD is Actually a better experience and also because it weighs about 500 pounds less due to the one motor. Agree or disagree ?

I wanted to see what everybody’s take on this was because I’ve read it one place and now I feel like I’m kind of seeing it everywhere.

Would you guys agree that it’s safe to say out of all three trims the LR AWD Is actually probably the least fun to drive and Ranked probably last as far as strictly handling of the vehicle with obviously performance being first and then everybody says standard range plus actually handles a lot better because the RWD is Actually a better experience and also because it weighs about 500 pounds less due to the one motor. Agree or disagree ?
RWD models are now only less than 200 lbs lighter than the LR AWD due to the RWD switching to the heavier LFP iron batteries. So no, with the 2022s, I don't think the RWD is the better "driver's" car than the LR. The 2021 or older RWD were almost 500lbs less like you said.

Agreed with @XPsionic, the current LFP RWD is surely the least fun in the Model 3 lineup. It's both heavier and slower than the old NCA RWD Model 3's (SR+, MR, LR). And the dual motor cars are much more powerful for minimal extra weight (vs LFP RWD). I'm sure the LFP RWD drives well in its own right, and the LFP chemistry has its advantages, but for driving fun and performance any NCA Model 3 will be better.

@Around04 I see you're in Boca Raton. South Florida doesn't exactly have a lot of twisty roads that I recall. As in, none. :) Will you be taking your car to racetracks or autocross? Or regular road trips to places with hills and mountains? If not, I'm going to say these handling differences won't really matter for you, nor will Track Mode.

Agreed with @XPsionic, the current LFP RWD is surely the least fun in the Model 3 lineup. It's both heavier and slower than the old NCA RWD Model 3's (SR+, MR, LR). And the dual motor cars are much more powerful for minimal extra weight (vs LFP RWD). I'm sure the LFP RWD drives well in its own right, and the LFP chemistry has its advantages, but for driving fun and performance any NCA Model 3 will be better.

@Around04 I see you're in Boca Raton. South Florida doesn't exactly have a lot of twisty roads that I recall. As in, none. :) Will you be taking your car to racetracks or autocross? Or regular road trips to places with hills and mountains? If not, I'm going to say these handling differences won't really matter for you, nor will Track Mode.
Well I guess you haven’t been on A1A too much then because down there it’s like a dream come true as far as this stuff. Only difference is you’re not carving out mountains you’re just at sea level so your chances of dying are a couple percentages lower.
You are not wrong though other than that and one or two other spots I know it’s pretty straightforward drivers Ed type of roads around here hah

Not that anybody is holding their breath on this thread but I actually have it down to two private buyers right now theyre both 2020 vehicles (The 2021 I originally posted about, the dealership said they mistakenly sent me a price to good by $2k and also had so many jerk off extra dealership fees that I told them to take a walk 🤷🏼‍♂️)
So it’s really actually more a question of personal preference because one of them is a better trim but the one that’s A lower trim has the exact paint job in nardo grey that ($4000 difference) I want already and about 10,000 less miles and costs like $5k less. But the other vehicle is a long range and also has the $2000 speed boost purchased already A few other cosmetic upgrades she added and has literally brand new tires and OEM rims on it from June. Also looks immaculate in its pictures to be honest.

If anyone is actually interested I can post both listings here so Ppl can get an idea of what price points are like in The Used market for model 3s right now etc but If nobody requests i won’t bombard this thread anymore than I already have😅

Once again thanks for any and all help or feedback 🤙🏼
It’s startling how little the so self-proclaimed “auto experts/professionals” in general know about these. It’s truly like no other