Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 LR: Winter tires with BLE TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

Has anyone been able to purchase/install after market TPMS sensors for the 2021 Model 3/Y? The ones from Tesla are expensive (TMPS for most manufacturers are expensive not just Tesla).

I am looking into installing winter tires (car slips a lot when in max regen mode) for my car and have following options

1) Install winter tires on new set of rims & transfer TPMS from current tires. In summer revert TPMS back to all-season setup.
2) Purchase separate TPMS for new tires but they are expensive & back ordered.

Btw has anyone installed 215-50-18 tires or 245 series?

Thanks!

Tirerack.com stocks the TPMS at $95 each. I recently upgraded by 2019 Model 3 to a 2021 version and discovered the snows' TPMS wouldn't work. (BTW, they were Blizzak 235/45R18 and they work well on both cars. I just have to live with the TPMS error message)

I'll probably spring for the sensors when I put the tires on for next season.

Hey Guys,

Has anyone been able to purchase/install after market TPMS sensors for the 2021 Model 3/Y? The ones from Tesla are expensive (TMPS for most manufacturers are expensive not just Tesla).

I am looking into installing winter tires (car slips a lot when in max regen mode) for my car and have following options

1) Install winter tires on new set of rims & transfer TPMS from current tires. In summer revert TPMS back to all-season setup.
2) Purchase separate TPMS for new tires but they are expensive & back ordered.

Btw has anyone installed 215-50-18 tires or 245 series?

Thanks!
If you want to just inhibit the TPMS warning you can consider getting the Bonus Module from Ingenext (Ingenext).
They are based in Quebec so no issues with shipping to anywhere in Canada. The Bonus Module is about the same price as 4 BLE sensors with installation (rebalancing if you already have tires mounted like me) and you get many additional functions especially if you have a SR+ like me. It unlocks rear heated seats with controls via the rear window switches or web interface to module. Also unlocks interior ambient lights (footwell for 2021 SR+). For all M3s, you get auto driver door open, proximity frunk and trunk open (using driver side proximity sensors), drift mode (disable traction control), manual wiper control via left steering wheel stock instead of touch screen, and ability to enable battery pack heating (useful if you are going to use DC fast charger other than Tesla).

Another winter feature listed in their manual but not on Module web page is Wiper Winter Mode which puts the wipers in service mode position automatically when vehicle is in park and temperature is below freezing.

Note, the Boost 50 module also includes the same functionality (in addition to power boost) if you want to increase the power of your AWD LR but costs approx. $850 CAD more than Bonus module.

Just ordered mine (Bonus Module) and hope to receive and install this weekend.

Reactions: MODEL+
If you want to just inhibit the TPMS warning you can consider getting the Bonus Module from Ingenext (Ingenext).
They are based in Quebec so no issues with shipping to anywhere in Canada. The Bonus Module is about the same price as 4 BLE sensors with installation (rebalancing if you already have tires mounted like me) and you get many additional functions especially if you have a SR+ like me. It unlocks rear heated seats with controls via the rear window switches or web interface to module. Also unlocks interior ambient lights (footwell for 2021 SR+). For all M3s, you get auto driver door open, proximity frunk and trunk open (using driver side proximity sensors), drift mode (disable traction control), manual wiper control via left steering wheel stock instead of touch screen, and ability to enable battery pack heating (useful if you are going to use DC fast charger other than Tesla).

Another winter feature listed in their manual but not on Module web page is Wiper Winter Mode which puts the wipers in service mode position automatically when vehicle is in park and temperature is below freezing.

Note, the Boost 50 module also includes the same functionality (in addition to power boost) if you want to increase the power of your AWD LR but costs approx. $850 CAD more than Bonus module.

Just ordered mine (Bonus Module) and hope to receive and install this weekend.

Sounds very interesting! The "drift mode" feature sounds similar to MountainPass Performance's Party box. Please report back after you have spent some time with this module.

Sounds very interesting! The "drift mode" feature sounds similar to MountainPass Performance's Party box. Please report back after you have spent some time with this module.
Will do but I don't know how much opportunity I will have to test out drift mode. The Ingenext module completely disables both stability and traction control whereas the MountainPass Party box disables stability control yet only alters default traction control to allow more wheel spin than default program. For track use, I am sure the MountainPass product is superior. The drift mode on the Ingenext is more for the ability to try burning out tires in record time:). I would rather not try that with my winter tires. Maybe in the spring;)

Reactions: MODEL+
Will do but I don't know how much opportunity I will have to test out drift mode. The Ingenext module completely disables both stability and traction control whereas the MountainPass Party box disables stability control yet only alters default traction control to allow more wheel spin than default program. For track use, I am sure the MountainPass product is superior. The drift mode on the Ingenext is more for the ability to try burning out tires in record time:). I would rather not try that with my winter tires. Maybe in the spring;)

I meant the features this module is offering in general. Will be happy to hear from an end user vs just watching one of their promo videos haha.

Installed the Bonus Module from Ingenext today and everything I've tried works as advertised. Note, trying to access and release the connector on MCU to install the Bonus Module Y cable takes extreme patience especially if you have "FAT" fingers like me. Probably took me 1 hour with several 5 minute mental health breaks to remove connector and install new module. I am not looking forward to removing anytime I need to take my car in for service. I suggest you find someone with very slender hands to do the install to minimise frustration.

So the TPMS inhibit appears to just inhibit warning of no sensors present. The TPMS screen just shows no value but no more warning of TPMS not functioning. I suspect the unit puts the MCU in a perpetual "learning" mode which I experienced for the first few km of driving after changing from my OEM tires to winter tires. Then again I only went for a short drive and will have to see if anything changes.

The heated seats work using either the window switches or the web page connection to the Bonus Module. The footwell ambient lights also now turn on (very dim). I activated auto door open with additional hands free trunk opening. Both work reasonably well. Note the hands free trunk opening works for both opening and closing a powered trunk (2021 model 3). I'll probably post a new thread as a mini review of the unit in the next week or so.

hahah "mental health breaks" lmao.
Thanks for reporting back. Do you feel like it's worth the $450 so far? What do they say about if a new firmware comes out and the module no longer functions as advertised?
For a SR+ it is definitely worth it considering it unlocks the rear seat heaters which is a $400 CDN option from Tesla plus it enables control by the rear occupants via window switches. The other features, one has to decide for themselves. I think the auto door open with hands free trunk open is also potentially worth it if you don't like to use the push in handles and it saves me from adding a kick sensor for the trunk ($80-$200 part from Tesla Offer).

The unit prevents all firmware updates from Tesla until you enable it from the web interface control of the Bonus Module. Ingenext maintains a web page where they indicate which firmware are compatible with the unit SAFE TESLA UPDATES FOR BOOST 50, GHOST UPGRADE AND BONUS MODULE
The latest update 2020.48.35.5 was confirmed on their web page I think within 2 days of being mentioned on this forum (so they are pretty quick to confirm).

The Bonus Module came with USB connector for potentially applying updates if required due to Tesla firmware update incompatibilities.

• Informative
Reactions: positiv and MODEL+
These guys are also in Canada and sell packages with BLE TPMS sensors installed: Buy discount tires and low price wheels online - PMCtire Canada

Their prices for the sensors seem to be higher than Tesla sells them for themselves.

That being said, if you consider the price of the wheels, sensors, tires and installation, the winter package Tesla sells on 18" aeros is not a bad deal at all.

Reactions: Dynamite647