Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 LR with Premium Connectivity - Netflix doesnt work [confirmed issue with specific car]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is it confirmed Netflix/Youtube etc does NOT work using ATT LTE?
At least on my 2021 M3 LR, no such thing. I can only watch Netflix (and any other 'premium connectivity' feature, like streaming) when car is connected to my home Wi-Fi. So stupid. And no, our phones as Wi-Fi hot-spot didn't work either. The only thing I can do is to listen to Spotify.

Is there a supercharger near you? If so, go try it out today to be sure that supercharging is not a problem. To avoid that problem, be sure that battery pre-heating is enabled.
Yeah, I tried it already, precisely for that reason :). And it worked fine (have free supercharging this year). Oh, and the only supercharger in town is 2+ miles from my house, so great news.
Hey, where is the battery pre-heat option? Don't remember seeing it, but I'm sure it's enabled, since when I 'pre-condition' the cabin from the app, car makes a very loud noise that I'm sure is exactly that. Plus there's plenty of regen even when the garage (and outside) is like 50F.

Going on a long trip Thursday, leaving at 6:30am, when it'll be close to freezing. First leg will be 135 miles, so will charge the car to 90%, which should be more than enough to make it there above 20%, even at 80+ mph, and heat on. Tried 'a better route planner' with worst-case scenario input, and I should get there with 34% or so. I stated to arrive at superchargers with 20% (not 10%); can you set that up on the car's nav? I will use the car's nav, but took pictures of the amount of charge needed according to the site above, to know how much to charge the car, since the car might assume 10%, to minimize charging time. I don't want so little margin, since it can get very windy (a head wind, no less) in that area, which would reduce efficiency even further. It'd only add 10 minutes of charging from 10 to 20%, so a very safe approach IMO, especially being new to EVs.

Last time I tried netflix (with premium connectivity) about a month ago or so it worked fine using the cars data like its supposed to.

There is no "battery pre heat option" to check on a model 3. You put in a supercharger as the location in the nav and it will do it bu there is no option to click for it on a model 3.

At least on my 2021 M3 LR, no such thing. I can only watch Netflix (and any other 'premium connectivity' feature, like streaming) when car is connected to my home Wi-Fi. So stupid. And no, our phones as Wi-Fi hot-spot didn't work either. The only thing I can do is to listen to Spotify.

Yeah, I tried it already, precisely for that reason :). And it worked fine (have free supercharging this year). Oh, and the only supercharger in town is 2+ miles from my house, so great news.
Hey, where is the battery pre-heat option? Don't remember seeing it, but I'm sure it's enabled, since when I 'pre-condition' the cabin from the app, car makes a very loud noise that I'm sure is exactly that. Plus there's plenty of regen even when the garage (and outside) is like 50F.

Going on a long trip Thursday, leaving at 6:30am, when it'll be close to freezing. First leg will be 135 miles, so will charge the car to 90%, which should be more than enough to make it there above 20%, even at 80+ mph, and heat on. Tried 'a better route planner' with worst-case scenario input, and I should get there with 34% or so. I stated to arrive at superchargers with 20% (not 10%); can you set that up on the car's nav? I will use the car's nav, but took pictures of the amount of charge needed according to the site above, to know how much to charge the car, since the car might assume 10%, to minimize charging time. I don't want so little margin, since it can get very windy (a head wind, no less) in that area, which would reduce efficiency even further. It'd only add 10 minutes of charging from 10 to 20%, so a very safe approach IMO, especially being new to EVs.

Please go start a support case because Netflix is supposed to work with the built in LTE. That's the point.

="rrolsbe, post: 5264125, member: 58010"!

So is it confirmed Netflix/Youtube etc does NOT work using ATT LTE? If so, did this happen after a recent firmware update? My current firmware version still has the old UI ie.. large nav screen area. I have downloaded the current version but have not installed it yet. If an owner had to sit in a long line for covid testing/vaccination, watching something to pass the time would be helpful. Oh, this would require a change to allow watching videos at low speeds ie.. below 2-3MPH (Covid mode). There is probably some federal law that would not allow this.

No its not confirmed. In fact, the opposite is confirmed, as I went out and specifically tested this on my car yesterday, and premium connectivity still works to stream netflix etc same as it did on earlier firmware updates. My car is on 48.30 and it still works fine.

There is either something wrong with that persons car, or they are expecting something that does not exist (tesla vehicles to broadcast a hotspot, as they dont do that). Since you have already used this, it should work the same way you are used to, and expect.

No. YOU don't understand I was told Tesla said no more LTE on 2021s. Can you get that into your head??? Waiting on a callback from Tesla HQ to see if the Tesla store manager is right... which I assume he is, unfortunately.
So despite the fact that MULTIPLE people (with 2021's) are reporting that they have LTE and there only appears to be ONE CAR (yours) without, you're sure that's the case?

Again: distinguish between the basic LTE that is included in every car (except yours apparently yours) and the Premium which is $10 per month.

I'm sure that "one guy" was right because it is a well-established fact that every Tesla employee is up-to-date on every single aspect of the line and I am sure that you clearly understood what they were saying.

Or just possibly there is something wrong with your car.

No. YOU don't understand I was told Tesla said no more LTE on 2021s. Can you get that into your head??? Waiting on a callback from Tesla HQ to see if the Tesla store manager is right... which I assume he is, unfortunately.
But that claim is completely false though. I have a 2021 SR+ that I just took delivery of 2 weeks ago and it has LTE (LTE logo on reception bar and Youtube streaming works perfectly fine via my Premium connectivity 30 day trial).

As others point out, the basic features (available without Premium Connectivity) like navigation, maps, and most of the app features won't work if there was no LTE.

Does your screen not show the LTE reception? (circled in red from picture off internet for older versions)
Model_3_LTE.jpg

Nearer to top right corner for my 2021:
lte.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gasaraki
Stopped following my thread after not getting any help. But just solved the issue today. Tesla checked, and for some reason, LTE wasn't activated on my car, but it's working now. And now the manager said I understood wrong what he said, which was very clear to both myself and my wife: That Tesla removed the option for 2021 because everybody has unlimited data on their cell phones, so owners can use that instead. But the problem is Netflix doesn't work from the phone as hot-spot (as expected). So when a 2021 owner alerted me it worked on his 2021, I immediately started investigating how to talk to Tesla HQ. Not sure what happened, but glad it's resolved right before our long trip.

Thanks for letting us know the resolution, which ended up being "there was a problem with your car so it needed to be checked out".

In any case, this is the second time you have mentioned things that "tesla manager" has said that dont make a bunch of sense. Its sad, because as a new owner you would expect them to be able to tell you correct information, but you are not the first person to hear "stuff that doesnt make sense" from a tesla employee.

I would recommend not paying too much attention to that tesla manager, because either there is a communication issue with them understanding what you are asking, or they simply dont know much about how some of these things work, and neither one is great for you getting good information from them.

Reactions: Kevy Baby and Need
Thanks for letting us know the resolution, which ended up being "there was a problem with your car so it needed to be checked out".

In any case, this is the second time you have mentioned things that "tesla manager" has said that dont make a bunch of sense. Its sad, because as a new owner you would expect them to be able to tell you correct information, but you are not the first person to hear "stuff that doesnt make sense" from a tesla employee.

I would recommend not paying too much attention to that tesla manager, because either there is a communication issue with them understanding what you are asking, or they simply dont know much about how some of these things work, and neither one is great for you getting good information from them.

Yeah, I don't get it. We're the professionals here. ;):D:p

Don't listen to "tesla managers". We know what's up. When we said that OP needed to start a support ticket because it's not right, we know what we are talking about. I don't get why OP started arguing with us and said Elon removed LTE... o_O
I use the Netflix every time I supercharge.

• Funny
Reactions: dmurphy

Oh, we heard you. But we, collectively, have a much better understanding of these cars than most Tesla store employees and managers.

I’ve read and studied the Model 3’s Theory of Operations technical documentation. I doubt the same is true for almost any store manager. And that’s just me. There’s hundreds, if not thousands, of members here with much more knowledge and experience than I’ve got.

So when I said “The car has a modem, it’s used and whomever told you anything else is either confused or just full of it.” — I really meant it.

The LTE modem (or, shortly, a 5G chipset ... but you didn’t hear that from me.) is a *core critical* component. You’d be missing a lot - a ton - with it offline.

Welcome to the FULL Model 3 experience! Once you accept and understand that what you have is a super powerful iPad with wheels, the car just becomes infinitely more useful to you.

Glad the issue is solved — next time you have a problem, post it here. I guarantee you’ll get much better answers than the guy at the front desk. :)