Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket yoke steering wheel in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok. Well for one I like the lower relaxed position while driving straight. Also high speed turning the yoke position feels more connected. The only negative is tight turns you have to choose hand position from sides or bottom.
For me, there are zero negatives with the yoke. Those tight turns you mentioned were/are never really a negative for me… just different than what I was accustomed to when using a round steering wheel. Fortunately, with just a little bit (less than 1 week) of driving in various conditions, I can honestly say all tight (and even the occasional quick emergency) turns have become easy, almost second nature to me. I no longer have to “think” about the best way to grab/hold the yoke to make the most efficient/safest turn. Everything just comes naturally now. The learning curve is very quick, folks… at least it was for me.

Perhaps I’m just a quick learner and/or someone who simply has an open mind about trying out new things and giving it a fair shot before deciding it may not be for me.

Photo flexing my stuff for those who missed my earlier post/photos 😎

A7940D3F-6773-4EB3-9D41-DE9AEFDBDEBB.jpeg

Last edited:
For me, there are zero negatives with the yoke. Those tight turns you mentioned were/are never really a negative for me… just different than what I was accustomed to when using a round steering wheel. Fortunately, with just a little bit (less than 1 week) of driving in various conditions, I can honestly say all tight (and even the occasional quick

totally agree!
Can't wait to install mine.

totally agree!
Can't wait to

totally agree!
Can't wait

totally agree!
Can't

totally agree!
totally agree!

totally agree

totally

While this post sure is polarizing it's important to remember that folks do LOTS of things that don't improve the car. Bigger, heavier wheels. Aero kits that don't do anything. Carbon accents etc. None of those things make the car drive better, faster etc. Bottom line is they look cool and you accept the cost. So it is with the yoke. Of course it isn't better to drive with. The idea is that it looks very cool and it does. Just like you get used to a rougher ride with bigger wheels and less performance, you get used to the ergonomics with a yoke. That's a price some are willing to pay and that's ok!

While this post sure is polarizing it's important to remember that folks do LOTS of things that don't improve the car. Bigger, heavier wheels. Aero kits that don't do anything. Carbon accents etc. None of those things make the car drive better, faster etc. Bottom line is they look cool and you accept the cost. So it is with the yoke. Of course it isn't better to drive with. The idea is that it looks very cool and it does. Just like you get used to a rougher ride with bigger wheels and less performance, you get used to the ergonomics with a yoke. That's a price some are willing to pay and that's ok!
You are a wise man... or woman!!! 😄

It's not that hard is true. But the point is why? It's easier with a full wheel

Well... I'm a UK Qualified Advanced Driver, for cars & motorcycles... I've been a Professional car driver in my past, done a lot of training on closed race circuits, gymkhana, stunts etc

I was very interested to see how I got on with the yoke steering wheel... having spent 30+ years driving with a round wheel.

I like the yoke.

It can actually discourage bad driving habits... like holding the wheel at the top position with just one hand. It can then also encourage holding with both hands which is a good thing.

As an example, on a tight left turn, hooking your right hand underneath the yoke to initiate the turn, and bringing both hands to meet at the turning 'top position' of the yoke, allows for a smooth transition between controlling hands. 'Right' controlling hand up to the top, transfer to 'Left' controlling hand to the bottom. Then reverse procedure to transition back. Almost identical procedure for driver training.

A big benefit is being able to hook your hand underneath the yoke steering edge. This gives you way more leverage than a wheel. This means you can emergency turn hard left or right very quickly. Also perfect for a hard reverse J-Turn

In a normal 'old days' car, turning through chicanes, left, right, left, right, left, right... will cause a pressure drop in your power steering... this effectively increases the strength needed and can stop you turning the wheel it gets that hard. In this scenario the yoke would give you more leverage using the hook position.

Under normal driving conditions, I find the yoke & dashboard-less driving position to be quite relaxing. My concentration and focus having less distractions inside the cabin. Actually like riding a motorcycle... just you and the road in front of you. It's very nice actually.

I'd also add that this car offers a sense of occasion now, and I actively look forward to driving it. I got very bored of cars for many years, in favour of my motorcycles. But my car Mojo is back.

Car is now just missing a Heads up Display on the windscreen.

signal-2021-10-11-201932.jpg

Last edited:
The downsides that I've noticed to using a yoke...

If the steering wheel is moving quickly in an out-of-control manner, you may cause yourself an injury... the top half would act like hammers... so regaining control would be harder.

Fingers getting trapped between the indicator stalks on quick half lock transitions... this is a risk.

Having no counter balance weight at the top, might put extra pressure on self-drive servo motors, wearing them out quicker.

Air bag deployment stability, not having a top wheel bracing component.

When driving quickly through a turn, your hand/arm position might be over stretched... depending on your hand starting position. If not prepared in advance this may severely limit your additional turning potential mid turn. This also may reduce your steering accuracy and destablize the car once balanced mid-turn, especially if you have to reposition. Practice and experience is needed here, and correct yoke/seating distance from driver.

Phantom grabbing. Half the 'wheel' isn't there any more, so muscle memory may hinder you until you've got used to your yoke hand position discipline.

signal-2021-10-11-201932 (2).jpg

Last edited:
@PITA How dare you try to use reason/logic and science to justify your purchase! Don’t you realize yokes are only for reckless folks like us, who like to waste money on silly gimmicky things?! 😉 🤣

Seriously though, you have some good observations. I haven’t encountered any of the downsides you mentioned, but I have no doubt they may exist for some users.
As for the airbag stability, I’ve seen enough videos about how an airbag actually deploys and behaves during and after impact in Tesla vehicles (with both a traditional round and yoke steering wheel) to feel confident that airbag stability is not a real issue/concern with the two yoke models that you and I have our our Model 3. Of course, there is no test or real world data to substantiate anything. So, everyone must determine for themselves if the risk is indeed real or just perceived…