Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket yoke steering wheel in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I read a Tesla employee mention that the model 3 airbag is not designed for the yoke and one should keep the OEM steering wheel on untill a redesigned airbag is brought to the market. Essentially the model 3 airbag may fold over top of the yoke because their is no longer support from the top of the wheel.

Ive also heard that Tesla employees don't know everything and the airbag will still go up to the glass.

My question is, is the airbag in the new model s the same as in all Tesla vehicles and is there a way to find out? (Part number)

Thanks, I really love the yoke but if it's truly a safety issue it's not worth buying period.

A couple of questions as I'm considering the same yoke upgrade.
  1. Did you compare your Aroham yoke steering with Hansshow's yoke steering? If yes, I'm curious why you went with Aroham?
  2. Is the quality of the right/left scroll buttons the same as OEM? Do you notice cheaper plastics being used compared to OEM, or perhaps a different feel on the scroll?
  3. Have you tried the steering wheel heating element with your yoke? Does it work as promised?
  4. Can you try out the airbag functionality for us and report back? (j/k) ;)
1. Yes I did. It really came down to price. No reason to pay the extra for the Hansshow. They both are coming out of China and have identical build quality.
2. The core of the yoke is OEM Tesla. They just change the outer portion of the wheel. Hence the somewhat expensive cost. If it was just a Chinese knockoff it would be much less than $600
3. Yes heating element does work
4. Will report back on this

Reactions: JETS BLY
Consider this… The yoke steering wheel that comes standard in the Model S does not have the upper section. I think Tesla has already determined that an airbag does not need an upper section on the steering wheel to deploy properly and provide the intended protection for the driver. If you’re curious, just search for airbag deployment/crash test Model S with yoke, and you may find some answers…

OP, that’s a nice looking yoke. I almost pulled the trigger on that same one, but ended up ordering this slightly different model/variant from the same company (Aroham).

View attachment 706084
Have you got a link to this one? I searched but couldn't find it...

Why not? Looks cool. Makes your car different than others. Is actually super fun to drive with and does give you a better view.
For me, as I don't tend to drive much anyways, it would definately bring a sense of occasion... very different from driving my other car.

Not sure how my Wife might react, but I can probably win the guess on that one 😁😂

Would it pass a UK MOT Inspection?

T
not about being Grandpa but you're giving the insurer an *excellent* reasons to decline coverage or being sued by the opposing party. hope that form over function is worth it.
That theory would check out if the airbag caused the wreck or they could prove the steering wheel being different was solely the cause of the injury being claimed.
Otherwise it would be like saying your insurance won’t cover your car if you put new coils on it or a lift…

Reactions: lbowroom
You get to keep the original steering wheel, right?

Not sure about retailers/sellers located in the US, but none of the ones on AliExpress (China) require a core exchange from the buyer. So, yes, the buyer gets to keep his/her original steering wheel. This, of course, gives you the flexibility to easily change back to your original steering wheel in case you end up not liking the yoke.

Reactions: JETS BLY