Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket yoke steering wheel in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a question....

If the yoke or "chopped off" steering wheel's purpose is to view the screen infront of the wheel as seen in the model X and S, whats the purpose in the model 3? Theres only a dashboard? Now your down half your steering wheel.

Ok...it looks cool, and I guess if your gonna add an extra screen....but, well,....did I said it looks cool?

R

So I have a question....

If the yoke or "chopped off" steering wheel's purpose is to view the screen infront of the wheel as seen in the model X and S, whats the purpose in the model 3? Theres only a dashboard? Now your down half your steering wheel.

Ok...it looks cool, and I guess if your gonna add an extra screen....but, well,....did I said it looks cool?

R
The only reason for me buying this steering wheel is:-

a) It looks cool and reminds me of KITT from my childhood. It'll add an occasion to driving this car like nothing I've experienced before.

b) The Tesla cars with Advanced Summon are probably the nearest to KITT I've ever seen... so are probably one of the only cars to wear this Yolk Steering wheel, and 'pull it off'

c) It's yet another talking point, and it'll feel unique to me... it's my car... 😁

So I have a question....

If the yoke or "chopped off" steering wheel's purpose is to view the screen infront of the wheel as seen in the model X and S, what is the purpose in the model 3? Theres only a dashboard? Now your down half your steering wheel.

R

Good question. The answer will vary depending on the person/user.

For me, it is 100% about the different feeling/experience you will get when driving with a yoke. Perhaps not something that can be described & understood until you actually feel/experience it for yourself. Makes no difference if there is an additional instrument cluster in front of the yoke. It’s not about having or adding another display behind the yoke.

When I first bought my Tesla, I was super excited about the different driving experience compared to all previous ICE vehicles. The clean, minimalistic look and feel of the Model 3’s interior cabin, the instant torque, etc…. Hell, I still get excited about this driving experience/atmosphere in my Model 3. The yoke steering wheel adds another whole new level to that excitement and feel in my opinion.

Hope my less than eloquent description helps with your understanding.

The only reason for me buying this steering wheel is:-

a) It looks cool and reminds me of KITT from my childhood. It'll add an occasion to driving this car like nothing I've experienced before.

b) The Tesla cars with Advanced Summon are probably the nearest to KITT I've ever seen... so are probably one of the only cars to wear this Yolk Steering wheel, and 'pull it off'

c) It's yet another talking point, and it'll feel unique to me... it's my car... 😁
I have a Plaid and find the yoke more comfortable to drive, especially on long trips and when on autopilot. Looking forward to standardizing my Tesla fleet of two.
47B3003D-884F-4AC6-8D0F-1C46BB4F6FBF.jpeg
FEBA1A00-F5A4-42F1-8B3E-4CA08D2CE0A0.jpeg

Quick update on my order. I ordered directly from the Aroham store about 2 weeks ago and told them I was a bit picky about the fit/finish. So, requested they try to pick/ship one without any minor blemishes and with nice clean looking stitching. Yesterday, they sent me some photos showing the finished product and asked me if it would be OK to ship that product to me. When I viewed their photos, I notice the back side of the steering wheel has a seam line. This seam line is not present on my OEM steering wheel and also not present on the photos/descriptions shown on their website/product page. So, I asked them to build & ship me another steering wheel with no seams on the back side. I guess I‘ll have to wait a little longer to get my yoke…. Boo!!

First photo shown below is the wheel that they just built/finished and were going to ship to me.
Second photo shown below is taken from their website/product page.

So, just something for you guys/gals to be aware of…

49335356-FBB1-4BE5-A3C8-70EE5A31D66B.jpeg

E3B70570-56E0-476D-84FB-673C69498403.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Quick update on my order. I ordered directly from the Aroham store about 2 weeks ago and told them I was a bit picky about the fit/finish. So, requested they try to pick/ship one without any minor blemishes and with nice clean looking stitching. Yesterday, they sent me some photos showing the finished product and asked me if it would be OK to ship that product to me. When I viewed their photos, I notice the back side of the steering wheel has a seam line. This seam line is not present on my OEM steering wheel and also not present on the photos/descriptions shown on their website/product page. So, I ask them to build & ship me another steering wheel with no seams on the back side. I guess I‘ll have to wait a little longer to get my yoke…. Boo!!

First photo shown below is the wheel that they just built/finished and were going to ship to me.

View attachment 709560

View attachment 709561
@GreenHokie Hmmmm, not good - looks like crap. When you said you ordered it directly from the Aroham, that means you didn't order it via the like the OP provided, correct? That one takes you to "Homie autoparts store". Please confirm. @GreenHokie Edit: Did they agree they can, and will, make you a seamless yoke?

@BojangleGuy Does yours have a seam, or not?

Last edited:
I have a Plaid and find the yoke more comfortable to drive, especially on long trips and when on autopilot. Looking forward to standardizing my Tesla fleet of two. View attachment 709554View attachment 709557

Very nice! I am on the fence about buying the Model S Plaid. Unfortunately, after test driving another non-Plaid Model S, I still feel the S has that big boat feeling and still not as nimble/fun to drive as my Model 3. Cost is not the issue. If Tesla made a Plaid Model 3, I’d get one in a heartbeat and at whatever price point Tesla wants to charge!!

Come on, Tesla! Make it happen!!!

Reactions: PITA and jebinc
Quick update on my order. I ordered directly from the Aroham store about 2 weeks ago and told them I was a bit picky about the fit/finish. So, requested they try to pick/ship one without any minor blemishes and with nice clean looking stitching. Yesterday, they sent me some photos showing the finished product and asked me if it would be OK to ship that product to me. When I viewed their photos, I notice the back side of the steering wheel has a seam line. This seam line is not present on my OEM steering wheel and also not present on the photos/descriptions shown on their website/product page. So, I ask them to build & ship me another steering wheel with no seams on the back side. I guess I‘ll have to wait a little longer to get my yoke…. Boo!!

View attachment 709560

View attachment 709561
Wow. You are certainly a demanding customer. 😀

And nothing wrong with that, I should add. Shaker style build requirements, where the back of things must be of equal quality to the front, even if it is never to be seen 👍🏻

@GreenHokie Hmmmm, not good - looks like crap. When you said you ordered it directly from the Aroham, that means you didn't order it via the like the OP provided, correct? That one takes you to "Homie autoparts store". Please confirm.

@jebinc: Correct. I ordered mine from “Aroham Official Store”, which I presume is directly from the manufacturer.
Below is a screen capture showing the actual item that I ordered, as well as a direct link to their product page.
Looks like they raised the price by $50. When I bought mine, this exact same item was going for $450.

B197CF6A-7FE7-4AF4-A33D-C75A5E344E78.png

Reactions: JETS BLY
@GreenHokie I'm sure you did, but did they reply?! I preemptively asked for seamless, after seeing your post!
Hey there. I just sent them the IM this morning. Due to the time difference, they won’t see/respond to my message until later this evening at the earliest. Will report back…

A suggestion for you… send your seller the two photos from my previous post (showing the wheel with and without that seam). Communication with the sellers in China can be a challenge. So, photos help a lot to eliminate miscommunications.

Last edited:
Hey there. I just sent them the IM this morning. Due to the time difference, they won’t see/respond to my message until later this evening at the earliest. Will report back…

A suggestion for you… send your seller the two photos from my previous post (showing the wheel with and without that seam). Communication with the sellers in China can be a challenge. So, photos help a lot to eliminate miscommunications.
@GreenHokie Yes, I sent your pictures, along with my request, to "Homie autoparts". They have been pretty good at responding over night, although something is definitely lost in the translation!

Dang, that’s a good response from your buddy at Homie, BangMeGood Autoparts!! 🤪

Sadly, my dealing with Aroham Official Store has not been as positive. The person there keeps saying the seam on the back side is not a design flaw and asking me to accept it. Of course, I’ve told them I will not accept it and to build/ship me a new one without the seam. Screen capture of conversation attached below. Waiting for their response…

Perhaps I need to find me a homie at BangMeGood Autoparts to take care of my order!!! :p
Ahhhh, the joy in dealing with these overseas sellers…

3FB57BFF-3483-4E3D-BC73-0E3825321078.png

Reactions: jebinc