Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Needs New Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car delivered in June of 2022. Have had no issues really with the car except the steering wheel stopped working (couldn’t adjust it) they fixed that under warranty. Fast forward to a year or so later and I get a notification on my screen “max charge level and range may be reduced… schedule service soon”. Scheduled a service just to be told I need a new battery pack. This is a brand new car is this even normal? Of course it’s being fixed under warranty but I’m afraid this will happen quite soon again and I’ll be stuck paying for a new battery pack on a new car.

My steering wheel couldn't be adjusted a few years back. Tesla sent out mobile service and he plugged in his computer to my car and reinstalled software and said sometimes it needs this to get right. Well, now my car is outside of the warranty and I wonder how much it will cost me should it ever happen again. This is one thing I hate about software based vehicles and something that should be covered for the life of the car.

I got my car delivered in June of 2022

Fast forward to a year or so later
Are you posting from the future, or did you get your car in June of 2021 (not 2022 like it says here)? The only other post you have here currently is in September of 2021, attempting to get people to use your referral code for an order (which we dont allow here actually, but seems to have been missed by moderators back then).

It sounds like from your own description, the car is a year old, which is still pretty new, but not "brand new". Your car purchased in 2021 would have a battery warranty till 2029 or either 100k or 120k miles depending on model miles, so if it happens again "quite soon" you would have nothing to worry about.

No one would consider a 8 year old car "new" at that point so I am not quite sure what the basis is for this concern other than annoyance at needing to have the car in service right now, which I do get.

There is NO reason why one failure would imply that the new part would fail the same way. That happens only when there is a known defect on that particular series of parts. there is no such known failures on the battery packs of model 3s. You were unlucky, your pack failed and they gave you a new one. You should be good for the life of the car now. That's what warranties are for.
The same thing happens on other cars. Full ICE engines need replacement early in a car's life sometimes. Do you hear about it often? Nope, it's a rare sight. That's what warranties are for.

I got my car delivered in June of 2022. Have had no issues really with the car except the steering wheel stopped working (couldn’t adjust it) they fixed that under warranty. Fast forward to a year or so later and I get a notification on my screen “max charge level and range may be reduced… schedule service soon”. Scheduled a service just to be told I need a new battery pack. This is a brand new car is this even normal? Of course it’s being fixed under warranty but I’m afraid this will happen quite soon again and I’ll be stuck paying for a new battery pack on a new car.
I received the error code BMS_a079 unable to charge maximum charge level reached, a few days ago. I have an appointment with my service center to replace the high voltage battery. I was told it will take 3-4 weeks to complete the repair. This is on a 2021 Model 3 Performance with 27k miles on it.

I received the error code BMS_a079 unable to charge maximum charge level reached, a few days ago. I have an appointment with my service center to replace the high voltage battery. I was told it will take 3-4 weeks to complete the repair. This is on a 2021 Model 3 Performance with 27k miles on it.
Just got same on my 2021 model 3 performance today with 23500 miles. Did they install new or refurbished battery?

Just got same on my 2021 model 3 performance today with 23500 miles. Did they install new or refurbished battery?

Why would you expect a new battery for a car thats 2 years old? what you should expect is what the warranty states, which is a battery with at least the same range as your current one.

Also, the person you are asking has not logged into TMC since making the original thread post, in Dec of 2022, so they are unlikely to answer... but Tesla installs refurbished batteries in almost all cases so that is what you should expect.

There is NO reason why one failure would imply that the new part would fail the same way. That happens only when there is a known defect on that particular series of parts. there is no such known failures on the battery packs of model 3s. You were unlucky, your pack failed and they gave you a new one. You should be good for the life of the car now. That's what warranties are for.
The same thing happens on other cars. Full ICE engines need replacement early in a car's life sometimes. Do you hear about it often? Nope, it's a rare sight. That's what warranties are for.
But there IS a know defect for Q3, Q4 2021 and Q1 2022 Model 3 Performance. There is a big thread in the german forum with a lot more people having the same problem. For cars build in that time and assemblied in shanghai it seems that its not the question if the high voltage battery pack will fail, but when. First symptom is range loss which is far faster than the average (10% in less than 2 years, even when you baby the battery). My M3P came from 507km of range when new down to 450km range (all with the 20" inch wheels selected, keep in mind smaller wheel diameter selected in the in car wheel configuration menu will increase displayed range). This monday it greeted me with BMS_a079, reduced power and not able to charge past 50% anymore. I got a service sheduled and surprise, surprise, the HV battery needs to be replaces. Tesla wont admit it but they know about that problem, as stated from other forum mebers after communication with Tesla service employees.

But there IS a know defect for Q3, Q4 2021 and Q1 2022 Model 3 Performance. There is a big thread in the german forum with a lot more people having the same problem. For cars build in that time and assemblied in shanghai it seems that its not the question if the high voltage battery pack will fail, but when. First symptom is range loss which is far faster than the average (10% in less than 2 years, even when you baby the battery). My M3P came from 507km of range when new down to 450km range (all with the 20" inch wheels selected, keep in mind smaller wheel diameter selected in the in car wheel configuration menu will increase displayed range). This monday it greeted me with BMS_a079, reduced power and not able to charge past 50% anymore. I got a service sheduled and surprise, surprise, the HV battery needs to be replaces. Tesla wont admit it but they know about that problem, as stated from other forum mebers after communication with Tesla service employees.
If Tesla wasn’t honouring the warranty I would understand being upset….but they are. It’s unlikely that they will replace it with one that has the same defect…so all is good, no?

• Love
Reactions: Scelto and GtiMart
If Tesla wasn’t honouring the warranty I would understand being upset….but they are. It’s unlikely that they will replace it with one that has the same defect…so all is good, no?
The problem isnt the defect. Thats what the warranty is for.
The problem is the immense range drop in only 2 years, even when you baby the battery.
Tesla will replace the battery with a refurbished one most of the time, the older and more miles you have, the higher the chance you get a refurbished one.
In my case it is a refurbished one which has 460km of range. And thats a 10% drop in range after 2 years.
This is much higher than the usual calendar degradation.

Reactions: Bouba