Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Perf vs 2021 Model S LR Plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just hear from the Tesla community that the S is last to get the updates.

Regarding passenger legroom, I am referring to the two back seats and not the one next to the driver. I sat back there and it’s much tighter than the S.

With the 3 you can use the phone's bluetooth as the key, does this count as some new tech that is in 3 and not S?

This thread is funny. OP posts in a model S forum and most recommendations are for the S.

OP should post in the model 3 forum and watch how everyone recommends the 3.

I debated the same, S vs 3, I ended up with the 3 because the S felt like a boat. I didn't like the high dash, and the interior felt dated.

Most posts are going to be confirmation bias....

Personally, if you need space, the CT next year is also a nice option to consider.

Last edited:
Reactions: bomax
We have 2017 S 100 (long range) D; 2018 3P- (stealth).

S is the highway champion.
  • Air suspension for smooth ride.
  • Better range above 65 mph. Model 3 efficiency drops like a rock at higher speed. S gearing, motors and air suspension in Low reduce the penalty.
That's interesting, its my first time hearing the Model 3 efficiency difference when compared to the S at speed 65 mph+

This thread is funny. OP posts in a model S forum and most recommendations are for the S.

OP should post in the model 3 forum and watch how everyone recommends the 3.

I debated the same, S vs 3, I ended up with the 3 because the S felt like a boat. I didn't like the high dash, and the interior felt dated.

Most posts are going to be confirmation bias....

You made an excellent point, OP really should post in Model 3 thread.

Or post on Reddit :) The reddit forum loves their M3

That's interesting, its my first time hearing the Model 3 efficiency difference when compared to the S at speed 65 mph+

The 3 has a better drag coefficient (0.23). S used to be 0.26, and then 0.24 with the new bumper design. Frontal area on the 3 is also narrower than the S. Rim selection and tire choice is going to matter too. You also have less mass to accelerate.

Remember the S improvement with Raven is because they upgraded the motor to the same type that the model 3 uses (permanent magnet). That's about 4% improvement in efficiency over the old induction motor.

Has anyone else noticed that the view out the windshield is better in the 3 compared to the S because there's no dash in the 3?

Front view is worse in the Model S, for sure. Not only because of the dash - it also depends on your seating position, of course - but also because of the thicker A-pillar.

We have many roundabouts here. Behind the A-pillar, it's possible to hide a whole truck, literally! I have to be extra careful, not forgetting to double check whether there is a car, bike, truck... ;) behind the pillar before driving on.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sunshine Speed
[QUOTE="ahhlun, post: 5169519, member: That's interesting, its my first time hearing the Model 3 efficiency difference when compared to the S at speed 65 mph+[/QUOTE]
Look on the 3 forums. Some disappointment about road trip range. Responses about rated range possible below 65 or 60 mph.

I’m reporting empirical evidence based on thousands of road trip miles in both vehicles.

My easiest yardstick is Philadelphia-DC round trip to visit our daughter. Our S makes the journey reliably, without recharge, except in really cold weather. Neither my wife nor I have ever managed to do it in the 3.

I had the exact same debate. Originally I was debating going with a used 2017 model S vs new, this forum convinced me to go new since the technology evolved so much. I thought my mind was set, went to the factory and was there for about 2 1/2 hours with a friend and we test drove both the Model S LR and Performance 3. I loved the luxuriousness and the comfort of the S, but the 3 was so damn fast and fun to drive and didn’t feel like tank. I ended up ordering a performance 3, delivery date 21-31 December!

The 3 was honestly not as comfortable as the S. The seats were firmer to me and did not hug me like the S. I could not stomach paying for a Model 3 Performance with FSD for 70k+ if I was not even getting some of the creature comforts like heated seats, heated steering wheel or air suspension. The 3 interior is awesome, but all it is a screen and a badass vent system. Nothing else. I can't pay top dollar for that, so I went with the S. The S is a good blend between tech and tactile which is what I also like.

About a year ago I was faced with a similar dilemma: Model S Performance vs. Model 3 Performance. I test drove them back to back and I was impressed by how similar the 3 felt to the S off the line. I was kind of sold on the S and placed the order but after waiting a few weeks I started to have second thoughts. I mulled over the many differences and opinions similar to the ones stated in this thread and in the end it just felt like the extra almost 1K or so a month (since I financed for 5 years) could not be justified and could be better used elsewhere such as mods or customization or something entirely non-Tesla. I ended up changing the order to a 3 and I’m reasonably satisfied with the choice.

About a year ago I was faced with a similar dilemma: Model S Performance vs. Model 3 Performance. I test drove them back to back and I was impressed by how similar the 3 felt to the S off the line. I was kind of sold on the S and placed the order but after waiting a few weeks I started to have second thoughts. I mulled over the many differences and opinions similar to the ones stated in this thread and in the end it just felt like the extra almost 1K or so a month (since I financed for 5 years) could not be justified and could be better used elsewhere such as mods or customization or something entirely non-Tesla. I ended up changing the order to a 3 and I’m reasonably satisfied with the choice.

The 3 is most definitely a better bang for the buck, but, they are also not targeting the same audience.

I ended up changing the order to a 3 and I’m reasonably satisfied with the choice.
Depends on your needs, speaking storage, mostly.
He will have kids he thinks. I test drove the M3P. But with my S, going for a walk in the countryside on weekends, we open the hatch, put in a stroller and both children's bikes, close it an go. Theoretically, the Model 3 might have enough storage volume. But the opening...

It would have been the 3LR anyway. Bike rack on hitch.

Yes, bit that's where similar aspects end, almost. The Y can tow from factory and has better folding seats. But it's got no air suspension, no heated steering wheel, the moronic wheels and looks like a SUV which is ugly by principle :)
i think it's getting the heated wheel just like the 3 is, so that difference is going away.

the comparison between the Y and S makes more sense for a family purchase.

Reactions: 46&2
of course!

Still, so far, I dislike the Y, optically. Got to see it in person, first.
you haven't seen one in person? they're all over here by me, in chicago-land. i think they look decent, just a bigger 3 in most aspects, as originally advertised.

but there's nothing wrong with an S. i loved my P85 and the car has more than ample cargo room. some people prefer cars to SUVs, nothing wrong with that either. the S is an incredible car.

i just felt that from a comparison perspective, the Y was a better match to the S in terms of family cargo space vs the 3 being compared to the S. that's really my initial and main point here.

Reactions: 46&2