Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance 18" Winter Tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Specs can be looked up online, can confirm they clear the performance brakes no problems. More detail here:
Model 3 winter wheels

But reading that link information it doesn't make sense...

It says the 18" wheels are the same specification as the Tesla 18" Aero Wheels... which people say don't fit the Tesla Model 3 Performance. Brake caliper size being the problem?

Quote "All versions use the same 18x8.5” et40 wheel specification as the stock Model 3 Aero wheel and use original Tesla centre caps, TPMS sensors, and wheel nuts."

So what makes these 18" wheels fit the Model 3 Performance, when the Tesla Model 3 aero wheels don't fit?

But reading that link information it doesn't make sense...

It says the 18" wheels are the same specification as the Tesla 18" Aero Wheels... which people say don't fit the Tesla Model 3 Performance. Brake caliper size being the problem?

Quote "All versions use the same 18x8.5” et40 wheel specification as the stock Model 3 Aero wheel and use original Tesla centre caps, TPMS sensors, and wheel nuts."

So what makes these 18" wheels fit the Model 3 Performance, when the Tesla Model 3 aero wheels don't fit?
I’ve told you they fit my M3P. I’ve got an idea for you. How about ringing and speaking to the company I kindly provided the link to?

There is no offset issue with the aero wheels (the spokes don't hit the front of the callipers) - it is the design and thickness of the rim below the 18" tyre bead seating that makes it foul top of the callipers (and only just) . Different 18" wheel designs that aren't so thick will fit.

Reactions: PITA
There is no offset issue with the aero wheels (the spokes don't hit the front of the callipers) - it is the design and thickness of the rim below the 18" tyre bead seating that makes it foul top of the callipers (and only just) . Different 18" wheel designs that aren't so thick will fit.

Thanks for the explanation... that's a shame then, as I quite liked the Tesla Aero Wheels.

I’ve told you they fit my M3P. I’ve got an idea for you. How about ringing and speaking to the company I kindly provided the link to?

Yeah... and good for you.

Your M3P is the older type, probably using 433mhz TPMS sensors as well, which the 2021 model doesn't.

With the amount of changes Tesla make, it doesn't guarantee it'll fit a 2021 M3P... So I'm checking everything first.

Yeah... and good for you.

Your M3P is the older type, probably using 433mhz TPMS sensors as well, which the 2021 model doesn't.

With the amount of changes Tesla make, it doesn't guarantee it'll fit a 2021 M3P... So I'm checking everything first.
I’ll refer you to it again. The link is to a company that should be able to provide you with the answers you seek. I’ve tried to help, so don‘t understand why you feel the need to be sarcastic. 🙄

Reactions: MarkThisDay
Just to wrap this thread up, and thank you to all that replied.

I decided in the end to just buy the official Tesla Winter Wheel Package for the 2021 Model 3 Performance.

Tesla confirmed yet again, that they do not recommend 18" or 19" wheels for the 2021 Model 3 Performance... and they also confirmed any pre-2021 model 3 - 20" wheels don't fit either.

The correct UK Winter Package is this one... (Part Code : 1643533-00-B)

In the UK, it's cost me £ 3,588.40 inc VAT (but I can claim the VAT back, as it's a Company purchase), so I'm really paying £ 2,990.33 (with a reduction in Corp Tax, and no Income Tax on the cost).

For that, I get a brand new set of Uberturbine 20" alloy wheels, centre caps, BLE TPMS sensors, Pirelli Sottozero 3 Winter Tyres, balanced & fitted... all ready to just stick them on the car.

I figured in the end, that they can be sold on in the future, and I always have a spare set of genuine Uberturbine wheels to swap about if any get damaged in any way.

Hey ho... 🥰

Last edited:
I’ll refer you to it again. The link is to a company that should be able to provide you with the answers you seek. I’ve tried to help, so don‘t understand why you feel the need to be sarcastic. 🙄

I've spoken with the Company you provided the link for... and they didn't know anything about the 2021 Model 3 Performance hub differences.

They said they would check with their supplier and get back to me, that was yesterday, and I've still heard nothing to confirm... yet.

If they do get back to me, I'll update this thread.

Only Tesla (and comments on this forum) have confirmed or highlighted there are differences on the 2021 M3P version.

Either way, I've been happy with the Uberturbines on my car so far... they seem sturdy for 20" rims.

Last edited:
Just to wrap this thread up, and thank you to all that replied.

I decided in the end to just buy the official Tesla Winter Wheel Package for the 2021 Model 3 Performance.

Tesla confirmed yet again, that they do not recommend 18" or 19" wheels for the 2021 Model 3 Performance... and they also confirmed any pre-2021 model 3 - 20" wheels don't fit either.

The correct UK Winter Package is this one... (Part Code : 1643533-00-B)

In the UK, it's cost me £ 3,588.40 inc VAT (but I can claim the VAT back, as it's a Company purchase), so I'm really paying £ 2,990.33 (with a reduction in Corp Tax, and no Income Tax on the cost).

For that, I get a brand new set of Uberturbine 20" alloy wheels, centre caps, BLE TPMS sensors, Pirelli Sottozero 3 Winter Tyres, balanced & fitted... all ready to just stick them on the car.

I figured in the end, that they can be sold on in the future, and I always have a spare set of genuine Uberturbine wheels to swap about if any get damaged in any way.

Hey ho... 🥰
Surely for winter driving when there can be many more potholes on the roads it is sensible to go for wheels that allow use of higher profile tyres to protect the wheel rims from buckling, i.e. 18" wheels. They would be cheaper than 20" wheels too. £3588.40 is about 50% more than I paid including air freight from the US for TSportline 18" wheels. Also I suspect the Tesla 20" winter wheels are heavy cast items and therefore less robust and much heavier than 18* flow forged wheels, which will also help to recover some of the lost range from winter temperatures.

Surely for winter driving when there can be many more potholes on the roads it is sensible to go for wheels that allow use of higher profile tyres to protect the wheel rims from buckling, i.e. 18" wheels. They would be cheaper than 20" wheels too. £3588.40 is about 50% more than I paid including air freight from the US for TSportline 18" wheels. Also I suspect the Tesla 20" winter wheels are heavy cast items and therefore less robust and much heavier than 18* flow forged wheels, which will also help to recover some of the lost range from winter temperatures.

Under any other circumstances I totally agree with you. In the past I've always downsized for Winter Wheels. I've had seperate sets on plenty of cars in my past.

BUT... on this occassion, there seems to be issues that Tesla do not recommend anything other than 20" wheels on the 2021 Model 3 Performance.

The money isn't an issue for me, so that's the route I've taken.

On reflection, it'll give me more wheels to mix and match if any get scuffed, damaged or need time away from the car for any reason.

Tesla do not recommend other wheel sizes on this car.

So if anybody has a refresh 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance I'd be very interested in what Winter wheels you've used, and who authorised them.

By the way, doesn't matter to me what you do to your car, so this isn't an argument to be won.

Carry on. 👍

Just to pick up on a couple of other points you mentioned...

Aftermarket wheels are considered a modification, and Insurance Companies have an interest in this. If Tesla do not recommend anything other than 20" wheels for Winter tyres on a refresh M3P... where will that leave you in the event of a serious incident or theft?

I look at it another way... if you've got a refresh 2021 M3P and already spent £2250 on an 'unauthorised' wheelset, then an extra £1000 for the Tesla Winter Wheel Package isn't really a lot extra. At least for piece of mind, and you don't need to bother the Insurance Company.

A lot of the money for wheels can be recovered at resale anyways.

Last edited:
Right then... my Winter Wheels Package arrived today, and for the first time I removed the wheels to see whats going on...

On the 2021 Model 3 Performance it appears there's a raised section on the hub... about 3mm

The Uberturbine wheels have a cutout which fits over it.

So what I don't know, is every other Tesla identical to this?... or is Tesla right, and this is unique to the Refresh 2021 Model 3 Performance. So other wheels don't fit.

20220127_122320.jpg

20220127_122316.jpg

20220127_122349.jpg

20220127_122352.jpg

Right then... my Winter Wheels Package arrived today, and for the first time I removed the wheels to see whats going on...

On the 2021 Model 3 Performance it appears there's a raised section on the hub... about 3mm

The Uberturbine wheels have a cutout which fits over it.

So what I don't know, is every other Tesla identical to this?... or is Tesla right, and this is unique to the Refresh 2021 Model 3 Performance. So other wheels don't fit.

View attachment 760852

View attachment 760851

View attachment 760853

View attachment 760854
The non heat pump p3d is the same

Just to pick up on a couple of other points you mentioned...

Aftermarket wheels are considered a modification, and Insurance Companies have an interest in this. If Tesla do not recommend anything other than 20" wheels for Winter tyres on a refresh M3P... where will that leave you in the event of a serious incident or theft?

I look at it another way... if you've got a refresh 2021 M3P and already spent £2250 on an 'unauthorised' wheelset, then an extra £1000 for the Tesla Winter Wheel Package isn't really a lot extra. At least for piece of mind, and you don't need to bother the Insurance Company.

A lot of the money for wheels can be recovered at resale anyways.
For a start I have a 2019 M3P rather than the refresh model. Also the winter wheels I have were designed specifically to fit the M3P and are loaded rated to 750 kg per wheel, which is more than 60% over the actual load. They come with a 3 year warranty.

The Tesla 20" wheels are pretty weak because they are cast rather than forged. I managed to buckle two of he original 20" wheels on one side of my car when I hit a small pothole at no more than 40 mph. Also I have already claimed on my vehicle insurance when the car was on its winter wheels without any issue. You will be telling me next that using non-approved Tesla tyres without the T0 rating will invalidate the insurance next just like Porsche wrongly claim with their N spec tyres.

Also it is hardly surprising that Tesla only recommend their own 20" wheels especially when 18" Tesla wheels do not fit the M3P.

Any 20" Model 3 Performance rim will fit any Model 3 Performance. They all have the same hub/rim design.
The only thing not possible to do is fit a Model 3 18" aero rim to a Model 3 Performance.
There's also no issue using 18" or 19" winter tyres on a M3P.
I have done all of the above.
Insurance worries are best dealt with by talking to your broker. Mine doesn't charge me any extra for different wheels/tyres.
HTH

Reactions: jpm777 and PITA