Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance 18" Winter Tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a start I have a 2019 M3P rather than the refresh model. Also the winter wheels I have were designed specifically to fit the M3P and are loaded rated to 750 kg per wheel, which is more than 60% over the actual load. They come with a 3 year warranty.

The Tesla 20" wheels are pretty weak because they are cast rather than forged. I managed to buckle two of he original 20" wheels on one side of my car when I hit a small pothole at no more than 40 mph. Also I have already claimed on my vehicle insurance when the car was on its winter wheels without any issue. You will be telling me next that using non-approved Tesla tyres without the T0 rating will invalidate the insurance next just like Porsche wrongly claim with their N spec tyres.

Also it is hardly surprising that Tesla only recommend their own 20" wheels especially when 18" Tesla wheels do not fit the M3P.

I'm not telling you anything, it's your car, do what you like.

I'm trying to get to what's right for my car, based upon what Tesla are telling me.

As it cost me £61,000 and it's not technically my car, I'm at least trying to do the right thing.

Although it's cost me another £3,500 ... I don't mind because of the tax benefits (and I quite like the Uberturbines anyway).

Last edited:
Any 20" Model 3 Performance rim will fit any Model 3 Performance. They all have the same hub/rim design.
The only thing not possible to do is fit a Model 3 18" aero rim to a Model 3 Performance.
There's also no issue using 18" or 19" winter tyres on a M3P.
I have done all of the above.
Insurance worries are best dealt with by talking to your broker. Mine doesn't charge me any extra for different wheels/tyres.
HTH

Good information, but too late for me now. I already bought the Tesla Winter Wheel set.

Might just help the next guy who comes along though 👍

I've spoken with the Company you provided the link for... and they didn't know anything about the 2021 Model 3 Performance hub differences.

They said they would check with their supplier and get back to me, that was yesterday, and I've still heard nothing to confirm... yet.

If they do get back to me, I'll update this thread.

This Company have got back to me in an email.

They've said "I have heard back from the wheel manufacturer and another supplier and both see no issue fitting to the 21 Performance model. "

So it appears there isn't a problem (from their position) fitting the wheelsets they have in stock to a refresh 2021 Model 3 Performance. Which is good news.

I'm posting this... just to give you a laugh, really...

So at about 07:10am this morning, on a short drive into Birmingham New Street Station... I got as far as the A38M sliproad and BANG into a cave. I wouldn't describe it as a pot hole, as I'm certain I lost sight of the horizon at one point.

Fully deflated the front tyre and brought my car to a dead stop in a LIVE LANE with nowhere to safely retreat to.

20220219_092451.jpg

20220219_092438.jpg

20220219_072554.jpg

So F'k Tesla and their 20" Winter Wheels... and F'k RAC Breakdown who don't have a telephone service anymore, and you have to do it online through their Website... while traffic is belting past and you're in peril.

That's a brand new tyre split on the sidewall...

Two hours out of my day...

Thank you to the West Midlands POLICE who got there within 5 minutes, closed the LIVE LANE and nursed me to the next exit junction.

Thank you to my Wife who brought our other car with spare wheel and kit.

If you ever buy your own trolley jack... buy a LOW LEVEL version. Because once you have no air in your tyres at roadside, and the jack puck is in place, there is NO ROOM LEFT TO GET THE JACK UNDER IT.

So thank you to Halfords Professional trolley jack range with low level profile, which did the job PERFECTLY...

Reactions: Adopado
I now have a Police Incident Number, Highways England Incident Number...

... and my Insurance Company don't want to know, as they said claiming on Potholes is rarely successful.

So... I spoke with Highways England to start a claim directly with them...

I'm posting this... just to give you a laugh, really...

So at about 07:10am this morning, on a short drive into Birmingham New Street Station... I got as far as the A38M sliproad and BANG into a cave. I wouldn't describe it as a pot hole, as I'm certain I lost sight of the horizon at one point.

Fully deflated the front tyre and brought my car to a dead stop in a LIVE LANE with nowhere to safely retreat to.

View attachment 771159

View attachment 771160

View attachment 771161
Had the same thing the start of Jan and had a six day wait for a replacement

Reactions: PITA
Sorry to hear that. It appears to be quite common and why I've got a set of hardly used 20s in the garage. I've run for the last couple of years on after market 18s with Michelin Cross Climates. In that time I've hit at least two potholes which I reckon would have totalled the 20s, so no real intention to switch back. If I do it'll just be for a short period of time in summer when the pots should have been fixed - although it's a lottery these days

Reactions: MarkThisDay

Luckily my ICE car is on standby... and I've temporarily replaced the busted Winter Wheel with an identical Summer Wheel.

As soon as it stops raining, I'll swap back to a full set of Summer wheelset while I try and get the replacement Winter tyre replaced.

In the meantime... I'm seriously thinking of selling the bloody car for somethink else, like a FV4201 Chieftain Tank which is better suited to British Winter roads

Sorry to hear that. It appears to be quite common and why I've got a set of hardly used 20s in the garage. I've run for the last couple of years on after market 18s with Michelin Cross Climates. In that time I've hit at least two potholes which I reckon would have totalled the 20s, so no real intention to switch back. If I do it'll just be for a short period of time in summer when the pots should have been fixed - although it's a lottery these days

Well... I'm seriously considering going this route now. As being stranded on rubber band tyres is unacceptable.

20" Winter Tyres as Tesla demand isn't fit for purpose on British pot holed roads.

I'm fuming, so holding back on how I really feel so I don't get my posts Snippedy snipped 😁😁😁😇😇😇

Luckily my ICE car is on standby... and I've temporarily replaced the busted Winter Wheel with an identical Summer Wheel.

As soon as it stops raining, I'll swap back to a full set of Summer wheelset while I try and get the replacement Winter tyre replaced.

In the meantime... I'm seriously thinking of selling the bloody car for somethink else, like a FV4201 Chieftain Tank which is better suited to British Winter roads

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
Waiting on a set of 18 inch rims

Reactions: PITA
Latest little Gem... spoke to a local tyre fitter who sucked through her teeth when she heard I had a Tesla... can't get the tyres !!!

So came off the phone and dug around online and I 'think' I've ordered one from myTyres.co.uk at £280each... I say 'think' as it took my payment, but no email confirmation yet.

Then the tyre fitter can swap them over for £12

Which leads me onto the next issue... having a smaller wheelset gives you a fighting chance to actually get replacement tyres !!