Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance Battery Failure.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced this in their LRW M3P? Battery failure. Woke up yesterday morning with a warning that my car cannot charge. My car didn't charge overnight. Called the service center. They logged into the car remotely called me back to say there is a battery pack failure and I need a whole new battery. The battery has to come by land from the Netherlands. Will take 3 to 4 weeks. !!! They gave me a replacement car for the duration. Good service! But not very encouraging! Car only 2 months old. Error code in the car was BMS_a029

• Informative
Reactions: goRt and roygoode
Unfortunately some things are broken on delivery. Probably nothing specific to your car, just happened to be something not quite right with the battery.

I ordered 8 x 8TB hard drives the other day to upgrade a server at work, 4 of them turned up DOA. Another 4 from the same batch were fine.

Sadly these things do happen without there being any reason for it, so to speak.

Different error, but similar symptoms?

Quite a few results on Google for "BMS_a029", all suggest the same outcome - a replacement battery. From what I've been led to believe replacing the battery is not that big of a job, not as bad as one might think at any rate.

It's unfortunate but as long as you've got a loaner for the period then it's just bad luck, and probably not indicative of anything beyond that.

Reactions: Peanut M3P
Battery failure may not be as rare as we think.
Interestingly, when I went to the Winchester Service place the other week they had a stack of 5 or 6 batteries. I asked how they change them and was told it is easy: lift the car up on its wheels, remove some panels and the rear seat to allow the battery to be disconnected. Then wheel a bespoke jacking platform under the car, undo a few bolts and lower the battery.
Replacement is the reverse. Job time about 90 mins.

I bet it's not as common as RMS failures on Porsche water-cooled engines from 1999 onwards.
Back in those days most Porsche Centres had a big pile of crated engines out the back and Porsche were often difficult when it came to replacing them under warranty or goodwill.

Reactions: curmudgeon
tesla don't open up battery packs in service centres so any minor failure in a pack means swapping the whole thing ( great when under warrentee not so great later on) point is it may be a very small issue but when it turns into "replacement battery pack" it sounds really bad. Not making excuses for them its still bad but probably not about to go up in flames. 🙂

I bet it's not as common as RMS failures on Porsche water-cooled engines from 1999 onwards.
Back in those days most Porsche Centres had a big pile of crated engines out the back and Porsche were often difficult when it came to replacing them under warranty or goodwill.
tesla don't open up battery packs in service centres so any minor failure in a pack means swapping the whole thing ( great when under warrentee not so great later on) point is it may be a very small issue but when it turns into "replacement battery pack" it sounds really bad. Not making excuses for them its still bad but probably not about to go up in flames. 🙂
Thats what they said to be fair to them.

If you want to know why we get failures early on, look into the bathtub curve. Most companies try and reduce the initial failures, as part of their QA process, and or some form of "burn-in" type running... but either way, early failures are what warranties are for. Hope they get you fixed soon.

Reactions: curmudgeon
If it really can be done in 90 minutes, in theory you could replace a battery with a fully charged one and be on your way in around the time it would take to rapid charge from single digit %?
There was a time when they looked at battery swap instead of charging. The MS and MX can have the batteries removed soley from below (don't tell that to those looking to move up from stealing catalytic converters). The M3 and MY have a few bolts in the car now but still not a big job. It probably takes as long to recode the car to tell it about the new battery and test the the thing.

Be interesting to see what battery they put in it. a MIC M3P must have been delivered in May/June or later as there were none at the end of Q1 and the end of Q4 I think came from Fremont. You should be getting the BT42 battery which is what you have now.

The S & X batteries have their management stuff in the car, whereas 3 & Y have the management stuff within the battery pack (plaid might too). So a battery failure doesn't have to mean the battery itself - it could just be the internal electronics. Also, a single dud cell in a few bricks would likely trigger such a message.

The S & X batteries have their management stuff in the car, whereas 3 & Y have the management stuff within the battery pack (plaid might too). So a battery failure doesn't have to mean the battery itself - it could just be the internal electronics. Also, a single dud cell in a few bricks would likely trigger such a message.

Minor damage to a low cost coolant fitting can require full replacement of the pack. Start at 14:00 in this video to cut out the additional "entertainment" ... it does show very well how repairable these things can be!

My 1 month old Model 3 Performance (delivered 11 December 2021) has ended up on top of a flat bed truck due to a BMS_a064. Tesla won't tell me what the diagnosis is (they don't speak to you these days, only text). All they can tell me is that "they are waiting for parts to be delivered" - it's obviously a battery, surely! They've given me a loan car in the meantime, but it's not what I signed up for...