Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance Ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But back to the point of the thread. U will love the car, and if it’s strictly a commuter you can get by on your standard outlet and a supercharger run here and there, but I’d 100% get that 240v...

the hoa won’t have grounds to stop you per legislation and common sense (it could be considered that you got it for a clothes dryer in your garage...)

But back to the point of the thread. U will love the car, and if it’s strictly a commuter you can get by on your standard outlet and a supercharger run here and there, but I’d 100% get that 240v...

the hoa won’t have grounds to stop you per legislation and common sense (it could be considered that you got it for a clothes dryer in your garage...)
I don’t think I can use my dryer outlet if I just use my 120v and plug in every time I park in garage and use my local supercharger and there is also j-1772 free ones near I live and local mall will I do ok?

I don’t think I can use my dryer outlet if I just use my 120v and plug in every time I park in garage and use my local supercharger and there is also j-1772 free ones near I live and local mall will I do ok?
I’m really trying save most money this going be a my daily vehicle but still want sport performance without paying tons on California gas.

The j-1772 is a level 2. Should get you 20-30 mi/hr of charging.

The price of electricity is the same using 120 vs 240... if you have a dryer outlet in the garage, you can use it with the charging cable that comes with the car, you just need a 35 dollar adapter. That’s all. The price for the electricity is the same, but the rate of recharge will be better.

• Informative
Reactions: El joe and Sean808
Charging at home will ALWAYS be cheaper than the level 2 charger or supercharging in public. EV juice still will be cheaper than gas in almost all circumstances (especially with Cali gas prices), but there are exceptions. Those exceptions are usually non-Tesla direct current fast chargers

Reactions: Rocky_H
You can do the math for your specific situation with the info you already have, but attempt at summary here:

A 120v wall socket will give you about 3 miles of added range per hour plugged in. This is "free" setup wise as all the hardware comes with the car.

A 240v dryer socket, if you already have one will give you roughly 20-30 miles of range added per hour plugged in. This requires a $35 adapter to plug into the end of what comes with the car.

A 240v socket you pay to install ($500-1000 bucks), and which your HOA can not legally prevent you from installing in CA will give you 30 miles of added range added per hour plugged in. Still requires a $35 Tesla adapter too.

All of these will just cost you, as far as actual "fueling cost", whatever you pay per kwh based on how much power you put back in. How much power you use as you drive varies person to person, but let's say ballpark you legit get 300 miles out of 75 kwh... so multiple 75 by how many cents per kwh you pay, that's your "cost" per each 300 mile tank. This math isn't exact (it ignores things like charging inefficiencies and such) but it's close enough.

The supercharger system is really meant for either people who have NO home charging available, or mainly to support people being able to take road trips far away from home charging.

It's fine as a backup option if for example you CAN do ok on 120v 99% of the time but once in a blue moon you need a fast charge right now for some reason.... but there's nothing about your situation as described that sounds like it'd make sense for you to PLAN to need it much if at all.

Even then it's about 30 cents per kwh, so 75 times 30 cents is about $22.50 for a "full" tank of 300 miles of range (roughly).

California is about $4.40 for premium on average right now. So you'd only get about 5 gallons of gas for what you pay to "fill up" the Tesla even with the most expensive charging method (supercharging).

I suspect you got a bit less than 300 miles out of 5 gallons of gas in your charger :) (and it'd be cheaper still, significantly, with home charging).

ALSO- check with your power company if they offer something called Time Of Use billing. Some do. Means you get cheaper rates certain hours of the day, so you'd charge the car then if possible.

Reactions: Sean808
The notes on "HOA not being able to prevent in CA" are correct, up to a point. If the installation crosses any public area (for example needs trenching, or the installation would require running wire to through another unit, or you have a detached garage that has only an outlet for the garage door opener, or....

In any case there are quite a few "or's" to that statement. If the installation is self contained in your unit (your enclosed attached garage) and wiring does not require accessing any shared space, then yeah my understanding is "thats true".

In many "condo" and "townhome" situations though, there is no attached garage or the wiring would require doing something in public space, which they can prevent or force other "accommodations".

The j-1772 is a level 2. Should get you 20-30 mi/hr of charging.

The price of electricity is the same using 120 vs 240... if you have a dryer outlet in the garage, you can use it with the charging cable that comes with the car, you just need a 35 dollar adapter. That’s all. The price for the electricity is the same, but the rate of recharge will be better.
Thank you’re
I guess I’m assuming attached garage here. Is that the case? Is it an independent home vs condo?
its a townhome and my garage has a 12v plug in

Where is your washer dryer? Is your garage connected? Where is your circuit breaker?

If your garage IS connected, and your circuit breaker is in the garage, 100% call an electrician to see about adding a 240v outlet. If the breaker is close then you could likely get it installed for under 500 bucks. It will pay for itself in convenience, and when you go to sell you can advertise as having dedicated level 2 charging in the garage.

Then just buy this adapter (Gen 2 NEMA Adapters) and ur all set for up to 30mi/hr.

This is what I did. Huge. I charge between 1230a-530a (you can set the car to do this by selecting “off-peak hours” in the charging menu) and get another 30% reduction in my charging costs because my electricity provider drops rated by 30% during those designated off peak hours.

My commute is 26mi round trip, and I put another 100 or so miles on the car playing golf on weekends. Other than one out of state road trip, I’ve never charged outside of home charger. First month of charging was less than 40 bucks increased on my electric bill. I was spending 200-260 a month on gas (CTSV supercharged V8 premium gas @14-16mpg). And my gas in NY, while higher than national average, is much less than yours in Cali.

Basically I’m going to save 2k per year on gas. The car is mind blowing too. Ns thyd coming from a long line of sports sedans, sport SUVs, and a corvette in recent cars.

Where is your washer dryer? Is your garage connected? Where is your circuit breaker?

If your garage IS connected, and your circuit breaker is in the garage, 100% call an electrician to see about adding a 240v outlet. If the breaker is close then you could likely get it installed for under 500 bucks. It will pay for itself in convenience, and when you go to sell you can advertise as having dedicated level 2 charging in the garage.

Then just buy this adapter (Gen 2 NEMA Adapters) and ur all set for up to 30mi/hr.

This is what I did. Huge. I charge between 1230a-530a (you can set the car to do this by selecting “off-peak hours” in the charging menu) and get another 30% reduction in my charging costs because my electricity provider drops rated by 30% during those designated off peak hours.

My commute is 26mi round trip, and I put another 100 or so miles on the car playing golf on weekends. Other than one out of state road trip, I’ve never charged outside of home charger. First month of charging was less than 40 bucks increased on my electric bill. I was spending 200-260 a month on gas (CTSV supercharged V8 premium gas @14-16mpg). And my gas in NY, while higher than national average, is much less than yours in Cali.

Basically I’m going to save 2k per year on gas. The car is mind blowing too. Ns thyd coming from a long line of sports sedans, sport SUVs, and a corvette in recent cars.
CTS-V are fast was your wagon or sedan?

CTS-V are fast was your wagon or sedan?
Sedan. Had full exhaust headers back with a 2lbs pully, intake etc. Made about 580 at the wheels.

My M3P is much much much faster when under 100mph. Plus that thing was a beast to hook up when on street tires. While I never got it on slicks, I’m sure it was mid to low 11s if I had. On street tires I couldn’t get the power down without traction control on, and to make matters worse I had to put all seasons on it when I moved to NY. Fun car for sure, one of my favorites, but as a daily driver (especially in the north) the M3P beats it in every facet.

Unfortunately no I only have 120v outlet at home and can’t put any other upgrade outlets due to HOA at my townhome is ownership worth it if I had to use a supercharger frequent it is 6 miles away from were I live.

I have a 40 mile commute to work and supercharge my car at least twice a week. Sometimes more because I drive a lot (for fun). Got a Supercharger only 1 mile from my house! I also have a 240 at home but I have free supercharging so I'm using that up until it ends. And I only have the standard range Model 3.

So with a Performance, you'll have more miles per charge than me, shorter commute to work so more range leftover (driving the car becomes addicting so you'll probably end up draining the battery for fun) and it will cost way less to charge than fill up with gas for your charger.

You'd make a huge mistake not taking delivery of this car. The Performance Model 3 is top tier. No better value car exists on our planet. It will be your favorite car ever. Trust

I have a 40 mile commute to work and supercharge my car at least twice a week. Sometimes more because I drive a lot (for fun). Got a Supercharger only 1 mile from my house! I also have a 240 at home but I have free supercharging so I'm using that up until it ends. And I only have the standard range Model 3.

So with a Performance, you'll have more miles per charge than me, shorter commute to work so more range leftover (driving the car becomes addicting so you'll probably end up draining the battery for fun) and it will cost way less to charge than fill up with gas for your charger.

You'd make a huge mistake not taking delivery of this car. The Performance Model 3 is top tier. No better value car exists on our planet. It will be your favorite car ever. Trust
That’s great to hear! The nearest supercharger is at Daly City Serramonte and also have 120v outlet in my garage still don’t know how much it cost to use a supercharger I did get 1,000 mile free referral from my friend with p100 model x.

Sedan. Had full exhaust headers back with a 2lbs pully, intake etc. Made about 580 at the wheels.

My M3P is much much much faster when under 100mph. Plus that thing was a beast to hook up when on street tires. While I never got it on slicks, I’m sure it was mid to low 11s if I had. On street tires I couldn’t get the power down without traction control on, and to make matters worse I had to put all seasons on it when I moved to NY. Fun car for sure, one of my favorites, but as a daily driver (especially in the north) the M3P beats it in every facet.
Yeah I’m very excited on taking delivery I did opt in for black seats was going do white but scared of stain white seats with black jeans.

Wow 580 on pump that pretty amazing not sure if there e85 in NY.
One my good friend has 850 hp evo went against bolt on CTS-V wagon on e85 on a 80 roll race to bad I can’t post videos on here.

Attachments

• 2BE2D41F-8422-44B7-84C0-B28C2E95538A.png
    2BE2D41F-8422-44B7-84C0-B28C2E95538A.png
    414.3 KB · Views: 64
  • AF5D425E-D29F-423D-854F-AE575C4A78C0.png
    AF5D425E-D29F-423D-854F-AE575C4A78C0.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 41
Status
Not open for further replies.