Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance Ownership and Range

Sean808

May 15, 2021
Pacifca
That nice numbers were you running nitto G2 or a Mickey Thompson Radial or r888 toyo?
LT4 is amazing engine to bad gas prices where I’m at is unbelievable the 2021 CTS-V very beautiful luxury speed and sound of LT4 on a crosa exhaust amazing gonna miss gas car.

Mahamilto

Feb 20, 2021
New York, NY
Nah. Street Pilot Sport 4.

My first winter up here I was forced to go with All-Season A/S3+. Basically made it impossible to drop the hammer if going under 40mph. They hooked better than I expected though to be honest. Was running 305s in the rear tho

Reactions: Sean808

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
its a townhome and my garage has a 12v plug in
Seems likely notwithstanding the various other caveats outlined earlier that the law will allow you to install a higher speed outlet (14-50 or whatever; there are actually lots of options you can go with that would be better than a 5-15 outlet - or you can go Wall Connector route, etc. Topic for another timemany other threads on this; first thing is to clear install with HOA for your situation, in line with California law).

Anyway you should probably do that at some point, but with your described daily mileage, you’ll likely have no problem with your home charging at 120V, most of the time. You will save about 10-20% on home energy costs if you upgrade to a faster and more efficient home charging method. But not urgent, it sounds like.

I wouldn’t plan on Supercharging on a regular basis, and it doesn’t sound like you will need to. Sometimes is ok but it will likely be a bit more expensive than home (though possibly not much, depending on your exact energy rate and usage situation at home and whether you will benefit from TOU billing). Also quite inconvenient and you may find there are lines if you do not pick your time carefully.

Expect roughly 10 cents per mile for your Performance, assuming 30 cents per kWh energy costs (depends on your situation and marginal rate). So, equivalent to about a 45mpg car at current California premium gas prices.

Mahamilto

Feb 20, 2021
New York, NY
I think I’m at a bit under 10 cents a mile on my performance.
Factor in the 3 oil changes at 100-120 a pop I now avoid (was needing 6 quarts of mobile 1 synthetic plus filter and labor)... I’m saving like 2k-2500 a year

Mahamilto

Feb 20, 2021
New York, NY
I didn’t specifically buy it for the savings, but when I was shopping for a car 50-70k... it makes my walking away prove in the lower end while getting everything I wanted. I think for the money it’s hard to beat.

AlanSubie4Life

Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
I think I’m at a bit under 10 cents a mile on my performance.
Factor in the 3 oil changes at 100-120 a pop I now avoid (was needing 6 quarts of mobile 1 synthetic plus filter and labor)... I’m saving like 2k-2500 a year
The assumptions for my number were:

- 350Wh/mi (AC) (That would be 260-270Wh/mi indicated in the car with 120V charging - which is actually probably a little generous - but probably slightly pessimistic in California with 240V/48A charging (but it depends on many factors), since that would be more like 310Wh/mi indicated - but of course a lot of energy use is not counted.)

- 30 cents per kWh.

That's 0.35kWh/mi*30cents/kWh = 10.5 cents/mi

Mahamilto

Feb 20, 2021
New York, NY
I’m averaging 294kwh/mi over the life of the car to date.

and I think my electric is less than urs. NYC is bad, but Cali is god awful.

so 10cents plus/minus 1 cent. Sounds right.

Last edited:

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
A 120v wall socket will give you about 3 miles of added range per hour plugged in.
No, that's not correct. That number was on the charts back on the old original inefficient pig of a Model S back in 2012. For some reason when Tesla was updating all of their charging speed tables for the much more efficient Model 3, they updated every single number in the table except that 3, which is now incorrect.

The Model 3 will get at least 5, maybe more like 5.5 mph on a regular 120V outlet.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life

Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
No, that's not correct. That number was on the charts back on the old original inefficient pig of a Model S back in 2012. For some reason when Tesla was updating all of their charging speed tables for the much more efficient Model 3, they updated every single number in the table except that 3, which is now incorrect.

The Model 3 will get at least 5, maybe more like 5.5 mph on a regular 120V outlet.
Yep. Assuming 200W of overhead on a 1440W outlet ([email protected]), with 91% efficient AC/DC conversion to pack (just very rough estimates here: this means overall efficiency of 1240*0.91/1440 = 78% at this charge wattage; would be roughly 89% at [email protected] with same assumptions, and 88% with the [email protected] UMC (matches EPA test value)):

Performance Model 3 2021:

(1440W-200W)*0.91Wpack/1W / (80.6kWhpack/315rmi_EPA*0.955rmi_EPA/1rmi_displayed)) = 4.6rmi(displayed)/hr

For the SR+ 2021 it would be:

(1440W-200W)*0.91Wpack/1W / (53.5kWhpack/263rmi_EPA*0.955rmi_EPA/1rmi_displayed)) = 5.8rmi(displayed)/hr

(And no, the SR+ is not charging faster...it is just adding range faster!)

Of course the 200W overhead can be a lot higher when it's cold, as discussed elsewhere. Not in California most of the time though.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC