Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance Ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its a townhome and my garage has a 12v plug in
Seems likely notwithstanding the various other caveats outlined earlier that the law will allow you to install a higher speed outlet (14-50 or whatever; there are actually lots of options you can go with that would be better than a 5-15 outlet - or you can go Wall Connector route, etc. Topic for another timemany other threads on this; first thing is to clear install with HOA for your situation, in line with California law).

Anyway you should probably do that at some point, but with your described daily mileage, you’ll likely have no problem with your home charging at 120V, most of the time. You will save about 10-20% on home energy costs if you upgrade to a faster and more efficient home charging method. But not urgent, it sounds like.

I wouldn’t plan on Supercharging on a regular basis, and it doesn’t sound like you will need to. Sometimes is ok but it will likely be a bit more expensive than home (though possibly not much, depending on your exact energy rate and usage situation at home and whether you will benefit from TOU billing). Also quite inconvenient and you may find there are lines if you do not pick your time carefully.

Expect roughly 10 cents per mile for your Performance, assuming 30 cents per kWh energy costs (depends on your situation and marginal rate). So, equivalent to about a 45mpg car at current California premium gas prices.

I think I’m at a bit under 10 cents a mile on my performance.
Factor in the 3 oil changes at 100-120 a pop I now avoid (was needing 6 quarts of mobile 1 synthetic plus filter and labor)... I’m saving like 2k-2500 a year
The assumptions for my number were:

- 350Wh/mi (AC) (That would be 260-270Wh/mi indicated in the car with 120V charging - which is actually probably a little generous - but probably slightly pessimistic in California with 240V/48A charging (but it depends on many factors), since that would be more like 310Wh/mi indicated - but of course a lot of energy use is not counted.)

- 30 cents per kWh.

That's 0.35kWh/mi*30cents/kWh = 10.5 cents/mi

A 120v wall socket will give you about 3 miles of added range per hour plugged in.
No, that's not correct. That number was on the charts back on the old original inefficient pig of a Model S back in 2012. For some reason when Tesla was updating all of their charging speed tables for the much more efficient Model 3, they updated every single number in the table except that 3, which is now incorrect.

The Model 3 will get at least 5, maybe more like 5.5 mph on a regular 120V outlet.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
No, that's not correct. That number was on the charts back on the old original inefficient pig of a Model S back in 2012. For some reason when Tesla was updating all of their charging speed tables for the much more efficient Model 3, they updated every single number in the table except that 3, which is now incorrect.

The Model 3 will get at least 5, maybe more like 5.5 mph on a regular 120V outlet.
Yep. Assuming 200W of overhead on a 1440W outlet (120V@12A), with 91% efficient AC/DC conversion to pack (just very rough estimates here: this means overall efficiency of 1240*0.91/1440 = 78% at this charge wattage; would be roughly 89% at 240V@48A with same assumptions, and 88% with the 240V@32A UMC (matches EPA test value)):

Performance Model 3 2021:

(1440W-200W)*0.91Wpack/1W / (80.6kWhpack/315rmi_EPA*0.955rmi_EPA/1rmi_displayed)) = 4.6rmi(displayed)/hr

For the SR+ 2021 it would be:

(1440W-200W)*0.91Wpack/1W / (53.5kWhpack/263rmi_EPA*0.955rmi_EPA/1rmi_displayed)) = 5.8rmi(displayed)/hr

(And no, the SR+ is not charging faster...it is just adding range faster!)

Of course the 200W overhead can be a lot higher when it's cold, as discussed elsewhere. Not in California most of the time though.

If you are already planning on charging in the garage with a 120V plug I don't understand how the HOA could prevent you from putting a 240 plug in there and just charging with the factory Tesla charger. Do they have to approve all permits or something? I could see the HOA getting involved if you wanted to install it outside on the side of the house or free standing unit on a pedestal but what do they care what you do inside your garage?

I have a 14-30 plug in my garage and I charge at 240V and 20a using the Tesla portable charger, it works great. I generally let it run down to about 40% or so(I don't want it getting too low because you lose acceleration at lower charge levels) and I can plug before bed and be up to 80% the next morning which is all you really need on a regular basis.

It was $800 to get my garage panel upgraded to a 60 amp panel and a 240v 30 amp 14-30 outlet. There is even a tax credit for home charger installation. You may have plenty of capacity for just the 14-30 or 14-50 outlet. I just use the mobile charger in my garage. If you don’t have a garage it’s a bit more of a pain.

That gives me a 💯 charge easily every morning if I want it. I charge to 82%. The best part is that I can schedule when to have the car fully changed and warned you to go in the morning which is hard to do with the 120v. Very important for cold weather.

Using supercharging every day would be a pain, it’s actually really expensive and not good for the battery.

Hi everyone so I recently made a order on a model 3 performance and wanted know if ownership worth it due to not having a tesla charger at home my garage has a 120v outlet
and I’m 6 miles away from supercharger and not sure how much it cost to use a supercharger I recently sold my 2019 Dodge Charger scat pack due to gas and other issues would really like honest advice if it worth me to take delivery of a tesla.
If you can't charge at home, it's not going to be as cheap and convenient. Can and do people make it work? Sure, but it will require sacrifices.

Status
Not open for further replies.