Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance Suspension Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey

Have 12mth old model 3 performance

Not really happy with everyday driving of current suspension

Has anyone had improvement in comfort/setup with various aftermarket options in Sydney?

Not wanting to lower the car any further - just improve ride compliance / comfort

Something to consider
As a M3P former owner i can attest the Ubbers 20" are average and the Pirelli tyres are awful , The rim width it to wide for the tyre. it looks Japanese VIp as opposed to a performance car.

I now have a 3 LR with the 19s more complaint ride and no issues with tyres or eggs on the tyres from hitting pot holes.

Just dropping to 19s with 40 profile tyres helps

Highly recommended.

Hey

Have 12mth old model 3 performance

Not really happy with everyday driving of current suspension

Has anyone had improvement in comfort/setup with various aftermarket options in Sydney?

Not wanting to lower the car any further - just improve ride compliance / comfort

I agree, so I went out and got Mountain Pass Performance "comfort” coil-overs....you can have it very soft on both down and up (compression/rebound) and also lower (if you wish, I do), 22 settings in both directions I've been told, I have it on recommended settings....I also have a beefier sway bar on (by Unplugged Performance) to reduce body roll.

Best thing I ever did....now my 3 feels much more European in comfort/handling...

Ride height looks so much better and amazingly handles better and way more comfortable (no bangs/thuds etc.):

1662380757091.png

Last edited:
I agree, so I went out and got Mountain Pass Performance "comfort” coil-overs....you can have it very soft on both down and up (compression/rebound) and also lower (if you wish, I do), 22 settings in both directions I've been told, I have it on recommended settings....I also have a beefier sway bar on (by Unplugged Performance) to reduce body roll.

Best thing I ever did....now my 3 feels much more European in comfort/handling...

Ride height looks so much better and amazingly handles better and way more comfortable (no bangs/thuds etc.):

View attachment 849109
Its amazing you needed a stiffer/beefier sway bar?
Mine was amazing and had little to no body roll 22 model.

Im comparing this to BMW m2 and m3s.

Do you track your car? Even than my M3P had almost 0 body roll with standard MY22 setup/

I love the ride and stiffness of my 22 M3P. Just don’t like the look of it on ‘stilts’.
I don’t want to lower it too much, so have got some 30mm drop H&R springs, and when I fit them, will upgrade the tyres to 255/35-20, which will result in a 22mm overall drop.

I love the ride and stiffness of my 22 M3P. Just don’t like the look of it on ‘stilts’.
I don’t want to lower it too much, so have got some 30mm drop H&R springs, and when I fit them, will upgrade the tyres to 255/35-20, which will result in a 22mm overall drop.

I went the springs way (used unplugged) and regretted it dearly...not a nice ride at all...not just bumpy and harsh but also not predicable and skipped.

With the Mountain Pass Coilovers I now have best of both worlds - great European ride "feel" but yet great handling with the ability to also lowered or raise the car (and of course you can lower/raise the car to any height you want).

The issue with changing tyre sizes (without also changing the rim) is you will undoubtably change the rolling diameter which will adversely effect your range....not a good idea....polus the shocks in the MP3 are rubbish, get decent coilovers and you also get top notch shocks.

Its amazing you needed a stiffer/beefier sway bar?
Mine was amazing and had little to no body roll 22 model.

Im comparing this to BMW m2 and m3s.

Do you track your car? Even than my M3P had almost 0 body roll with standard MY22 setup/

I don't track...just want a really nice sporty ride that is not all bang, bang, bang over the smallest of road bumps/lines etc. Now I glide over tram tracks but still have great turn in etc. coilovers have made the suspension really predictable, if in Melbourne let me know and I'll show you what I mean...

I went the springs way (used unplugged) and regretted it dearly...not a nice ride at all...not just bumpy and harsh but also not predicable and skipped.

With the Mountain Pass Coilovers I now have best of both worlds - great European ride "feel" but yet great handling with the ability to also lowered or raise the car (and of course you can lower/raise the car to any height you want).

The issue with changing tyre sizes (without also changing the rim) is you will undoubtably change the rolling diameter which will adversely effect your range....not a good idea....polus the shocks in the MP3 are rubbish, get decent coilovers and you also get top notch shocks.
As far said, I want the higher sidewall, and I want the wider tyres for rim protection. That’s why I’m going the 255/35. Also to fill up the tyre gap in the guards.
I’m happy to stay with standard dampers for the moment.
I’ve been doing this stuff for more years than I care to remember, so I’m happy with the choices.