Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

*2021* Model 3 Performance Uberturbine Wheel Questions (esp for winter wheel and tire swap)

If you've received your 2021 Model 3 Performance, have you put winter wheels&tires on?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you have a 2021 with Uberturbines and you know they are 9" as opposed to 8.5? That would be great to know fro someone who has them!

Now.. if only I thought to confirm what the actual width was of the Uberturbine are - 8.5 or 9, but if you have them and know they are 9", then that sorts that! Thanks for chiming in with this!
No, I receive my 2021 on thursday :D But it's been confirmed by an owner in germany and per the EPC that they are 9", but it doesn't really matter though if you run 8.5 or 9". With 8.5" wheels ideal tires are 235/35, 9" are best on 245/35, but you can also run them stretched with 235/35 like Tesla. The downside to that is that the sidewall is stretched towards the middle which provides less sidewall and curb protection, but they probably run 235 because lower rolling resistance.

I love that they bumped up the rims to 9 ET34, but Michelin 4S tires are sooo much better. I also like the way the 4S’s are slightly different design and wouldn’t look quite as stretched onto rims. I’m awaiting delivery, 12.15 of M3P and from what I have calculated, the rear rim should sit about 7-8mm inside vertical fender lip. The new rims definitely sit a bit better and aren’t tucked in as far, but I always prefer flush rim setup, especially for the rear.

Per the EPC, there is only ONE Uberturbine spec and it’s 9” in width thus only a “square” setup with 34mm offset. Hope this helps.

View attachment 617110

@MrHopsing @RefreshedP @rensupreme thanks for all your input and help. Tesla rep just called back and confirmed officially, 9 on all four M3P Uberturbines (not 8.5) and 64.1 centre bore. Thanks to everyone for helping me figure this out and know what questions to ask.

So I just have to figure out which winter wheel and tire set to get!

I got some cheapo ones since the winters where I live is more or less non existent.

IMG_0074.jpg

@MrHopsing @RefreshedP @rensupreme thanks for all your input and help. Tesla rep just called back and confirmed officially, 9 on all four M3P Uberturbines (not 8.5) and 64.1 centre bore. Thanks to everyone for helping me figure this out and know what questions to ask.

So I just have to figure out which winter wheel and tire set to get!

So per your posting in the other thread, that means fastco (replika parent company) was incorrect in saying the 21 has a 70.2 center bore? Or I wonder if they're 70.2, with the angled lip which goes to 64.1

Reactions: katbc
I had the exact same question as you. I wanted to downsize to an 18" snow tire for the M3P I ordered. I really liked the Replika R241 and ordered a set from Wheelwiz ($490 CAD shipping!) after doing as much research as I could. They got back to me and said that I purchased a 64mm center bore which is incompatible with the 2021 M3P. They said I would need to get a 70mm center bore because the Performance has a step pyramid shaped lip and the 64mm does not fit correctly on the lip. I confirmed it twice with them over the phone. They seem to be quite certain that 70mm is the correct size. I haven't gotten my rims yet let alone my car but I'll be sure to post a follow up.

So per your posting in the other thread, that means fastco (replika parent company) was incorrect in saying the 21 has a 70.2 center bore? Or I wonder if they're 70.2, with the angled lip which goes to 64.1

I had the exact same question as you. I wanted to downsize to an 18" snow tire for the M3P I ordered. I really liked the Replika R241 and ordered a set from Wheelwiz ($490 CAD shipping!) after doing as much research as I could. They got back to me and said that I purchased a 64mm center bore which is incompatible with the 2021 M3P. They said I would need to get a 70mm center bore because the Performance has a step pyramid shaped lip and the 64mm does not fit correctly on the lip. I confirmed it twice with them over the phone. They seem to be quite certain that 70mm is the correct size. I haven't gotten my rims yet let alone my car but I'll be sure to post a follow up.

I was thinking about this all afternoon. Fastco/Replika said 70.2, Tsportline said 64.1. Both are companies that sell a lot of aftermarket wheels for Tesla, one of them has to be wrong, perhaps there's going to be a bunch of people with wheels that don't fit.

I was planning on making more calls tomorrow to see if I can figure out what's going on so I know who to order from. I guess if the new wheels have as "step pyramid shaped lip" then perhaps someone is measuring the wrong part?? That seems like a pretty big mistake though.

@Doggiedog that would be awesome if you could share your measurements when you get your rims. Do you think you will return them and go for the 70.2 or wait till you get your car and see if they fit.

@RefreshedP got 70.2 so hopefully they can share their experience once they get their car. I think @Runduck said they have ordered from Tsportline, which is the company that say 64.1 centre bore - hopefully they can let us know too.

@dale_cooper it could be what you're saying.. it's both? I don't know enough about centre bores! Before this week I knew nothing about wheel and tire measurements except for rim diameter lol. I can change our wheels.. but have always had the right fitting ones thanks to someone else knowledge.

Disclaimer. I do not have my M3P yet. That being said, I have done a lot of aftermarket and custom wheels over the years, on a range of cars - Audi RS3, Ford Ford Focus RS, etc. Since I have nothing but time to read threads while waiting for my car !! I understand that the issue is as follows, at least it was for the 2020 and I see nothing to indicate it has changed for the 2021.

The nominal diameter of the center bore with the non-Performance brakes is 64.1mm. However, there is in fact a small chamfer at the base of the wheel center and the mounting area for the brake disc that on the Performance model is exposed. Apparently the brake hat on the two-piece Performance rotor is thinner than the the brake hat on the one-piece non-Performance rotor. That thickness difference exposes the chamfer and that chamfer has a dia of 71mm. So, you will hear on the other wheel postings about whether wheels for the Performance models have the extra machining just at the edge of the center bore nearest the flat brake hat area, to clear the chamfer. Otherwise it is a 64.1mm dia bored wheel. In fact, some of the aftermarket brake discs will note that their brake hats are thick enough to cover the chamfer and thus there is no need for that special little bit of machining. Just a straight up 64.1mm bore will work.

Wheel manufacturers that know the M3P or do a lot of Tesla work know about this issue and account for it in their wheel designs and machining. It is irrelevant on any model but the Performance.

Attachments

• Wheel Diagram.pdf
    22.5 KB · Views: 177
Disclaimer. I do not have my M3P yet. That being said, I have done a lot of aftermarket and custom wheels over the years, on a range of cars - Audi RS3, Ford Ford Focus RS, etc. Since I have nothing but time to read threads while waiting for my car !! I understand that the issue is as follows, at least it was for the 2020 and I see nothing to indicate it has changed for the 2021.

The nominal diameter of the center bore with the non-Performance brakes is 64.1mm. However, there is in fact a small chamfer at the base of the wheel center and the mounting area for the brake disc that on the Performance model is exposed. Apparently the brake hat on the two-piece Performance rotor is thinner than the the brake hat on the one-piece non-Performance rotor. That thickness difference exposes the chamfer and that chamfer has a dia of 71mm. So, you will hear on the other wheel postings about whether wheels for the Performance models have the extra machining just at the edge of the center bore nearest the flat brake hat area, to clear the chamfer. Otherwise it is a 64.1mm dia bored wheel. In fact, some of the aftermarket brake discs will note that their brake hats are thick enough to cover the chamfer and thus there is no need for that special little bit of machining. Just a straight up 64.1mm bore will work.

Wheel manufacturers that know the M3P or do a lot of Tesla work know about this issue and account for it in their wheel designs and machining. It is irrelevant on any model but the Performance.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.. I have no idea what most of it means though and will start researching the unknown (to me) terms you've used. Have you seen this thread by any chance? It might make more sense to you with your knowledge!
Model 3 Performance Spacers
comment number 65 mentions the 64.1/70.2 centre bore issue but they are talking about the 2020 M3P

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.. I have no idea what most of it means though and will start researching the unknown (to me) terms you've used. Have you seen this thread by any chance? It might make more sense to you with your knowledge!
Model 3 Performance Spacers
comment number 65 mentions the 64.1/70.2 centre bore issue but they are talking about the 2020 M3P
The picture I just attached to my post will help a lot. It's a side section view through the wheel/mounting area. The spacers can be used to solve for the interference of the chamfer on wheels not machined for it. They are also often used to get wheels to fit over suspension brake components and to give the desired appearance of the wheel in the wheel well. You will hear people referring to whether it makes the wheel flush to the wheel well. But I generally get custom or originally designed to fit properly forged wheels and do not like spacers (yes, I am aware not everyone can afford that route, but I need it for tracking my cars. I would never do spacers on a track car and risk my wheel bolts breaking. That is worth money. And they fit. Every time. No compromises.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexVCo and katbc
I was thinking about this all afternoon. Fastco/Replika said 70.2, Tsportline said 64.1. Both are companies that sell a lot of aftermarket wheels for Tesla, one of them has to be wrong, perhaps there's going to be a bunch of people with wheels that don't fit.

I was planning on making more calls tomorrow to see if I can figure out what's going on so I know who to order from. I guess if the new wheels have as "step pyramid shaped lip" then perhaps someone is measuring the wrong part?? That seems like a pretty big mistake though.

@Doggiedog that would be awesome if you could share your measurements when you get your rims. Do you think you will return them and go for the 70.2 or wait till you get your car and see if they fit.

@RefreshedP got 70.2 so hopefully they can share their experience once they get their car. I think @Runduck said they have ordered from Tsportline, which is the company that say 64.1 centre bore - hopefully they can let us know too.

@dale_cooper it could be what you're saying.. it's both? I don't know enough about centre bores! Before this week I knew nothing about wheel and tire measurements except for rim diameter lol. I can change our wheels.. but have always had the right fitting ones thanks to someone else knowledge.

I actually got the 70.2mm rim as they recommended. They straight out told me the 64mm would not fit the M3P.

On a separate note, stupid question but can anyone tell me what the advantage is using lug nuts and bolts? I've only had BMWs and the wheels don't have bolts sticking out of the wheels. The bolts are screwed into holes in the wheel. Seems like an easier solution.

The picture I just attached to my post will help a lot. It's a side section view through the wheel/mounting area. The spacers can be used to solve for the interference of the chamfer on wheels not machined for it. They are also often used to get wheels to fit over suspension brake components and to give the desired appearance of the wheel in the wheel well. You will hear people referring to whether it makes the wheel flush to the wheel well. But I generally get custom or originally designed to fit properly forged wheels and do not like spacers (yes, I am aware not everyone can afford that route, but I need it for tracking my cars. I would never do spacers on a track car and risk my wheel bolts breaking. That is worth money. And they fit. Every time. No compromises.
Thank you for attaching that image. I'll try read all the posts again and see if I can understand more.. from your previous post I read it as a 64.1 bore will work, but now I think I've misunderstood..

I actually got the 70.2mm rim as they recommended. They straight out told me the 64mm would not fit the M3P.
Thanks for clarifying, 70.2 have to be the right ones then.. surely!!

Reactions: AlexVCo
Thank you for attaching that image. I'll try read all the posts again and see if I can understand more.. from your previous post I read it as a 64.1 bore will work, but now I think I've misunderstood..

Thanks for clarifying, 70.2 have to be the right ones then.. surely!!

64.1mm can work, if that tiny bit of the bore is machined to make room for that little chamfer. Some manufacturers do this as part of making Tesla wheels - See Martian Wheels for example. If they do not specifically do the chamfer machining for the Performance model issues, then yes, you need to get the larger size and use what are called centering rings. They are little metal or plastic inserts, with inside diameter matching the hub and outside diameter matching the bore in the wheel. That makes the wheel act like it was bored to the correct size and centers properly when torquing down lug nuts.

Reactions: AlexVCo and katbc