Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

*2021* Model 3 Performance Uberturbine Wheel Questions (esp for winter wheel and tire swap)

If you've received your 2021 Model 3 Performance, have you put winter wheels&tires on?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm following a bunch of different threads and have possibly confused myself. I want to put non-tesla winter wheels and tires on our new 2021 M3 Performance for the following reasons:
  1. We want 18" wheels for crappy snowy potholey roads. Teslas winter ones are 20"
  2. Even if we wanted the 20", Tesla doesn't deliver to our location anyway, we'd have pay $200 in ferry fees to collect them and bring them back - also not 100% sure they'd fit in the car either, all for wheels that's aren't our preference.
  3. 18" wheels means smaller and therefor less expensive tires for when we replace them.
Here are my issues and questions:

I can't find Tesla confirmed specs for the 2021 Uberturbine 20" wheels that come with the Model 3 Performance. My thoughts and questions:
  • They are not the same as the Model Y right? Model Y Ubertrubines are 21" I believe.
  • Some aftermarket places (Tsportline, Wheelwiz.ca, PMCtire.ca) have different options for the 2021 model. Tsportline offer options to get the back wheels slightly wider (even though I thought that was just a thing for the Model Y).
  • The same places I just mentioned offer different centre bore sizes and I'm still unsure why or if it matters - none have said to order hubs rings, surely one of them needs it if they have a different measurement? To my knowledge, to date, all Tesla wheels have a 64.1 centre bore size. Replika have a 70.2 measurement for the new 2021 M3P because they said that's because it's the new size for the Performance M3. Would Tesla change the centre bore size and then people couldn't use their wheels from previous years? Tsportline say it's still 64.1 and that's what they are selling for the 2021 M3P.
  • You need the new Tesla Propriety Bluetooth TPMS sensors for the new 2021 M3P, otherwise you get an error code according to some people on here (using different brands), sorry I don't know how to link to other threads. I've found only one place so far (PMCtire.ca) that appears to sell legit Tesla bluetooth TPMS sensors. Tesla don't have them on their website to buy, but I'd want them pre-installed when I order the wheels and tires anyway.
I've asked Tesla if they can provide the specs and will update when I hear from them. From what I can tell, it's only the Performance Model that has the changed centre bore size.

If anyone has their 2021 M3P and can check their centre bore size.. or knows anything about what I'm talking about, I'd really appreciate it! Just to confirm, this is not for fitting wheels on previous years models, this seems to be specifically for the 2021 and just for the Performance version.
I used tire rack.com to pick up an inexpensive set of 18in wheels and winter tires for my M3P (roughly $1200 USD). Tire rack takes the thought out of what wheels fit and only displays which ones work for our performance models FYI. As for the TPMS, my buddy is a master mechanic and I had him order a set of TPMS and program them. I can ask if you’re interested

Reactions: AlexVCo and katbc
I was thinking about this all afternoon. Fastco/Replika said 70.2, Tsportline said 64.1. Both are companies that sell a lot of aftermarket wheels for Tesla, one of them has to be wrong, perhaps there's going to be a bunch of people with wheels that don't fit.

I was planning on making more calls tomorrow to see if I can figure out what's going on so I know who to order from. I guess if the new wheels have as "step pyramid shaped lip" then perhaps someone is measuring the wrong part?? That seems like a pretty big mistake though.

@Doggiedog that would be awesome if you could share your measurements when you get your rims. Do you think you will return them and go for the 70.2 or wait till you get your car and see if they fit.

@RefreshedP got 70.2 so hopefully they can share their experience once they get their car. I think @Runduck said they have ordered from Tsportline, which is the company that say 64.1 centre bore - hopefully they can let us know too.

@dale_cooper it could be what you're saying.. it's both? I don't know enough about centre bores! Before this week I knew nothing about wheel and tire measurements except for rim diameter lol. I can change our wheels.. but have always had the right fitting ones thanks to someone else knowledge.

I’m sure you will get the answer before I do any measuring. My car doesn’t arrive until Jan and the rims I purchased are also back ordered until “December” (when I ordered) .. website now says backordered until “January”

Quick question for Canadians with 2021 M3Ps, somewhat related to this topic. What tires come stock on the car? Canadian configurator page still says Michelin PS4S, but I suspect they just forgot to change it. Every other country says Pirellis.
Pirelli p zero elect came on my P. Unfortunetly I got a call today that I will not be able to pick up my car tomorrow. It has to go to a body shop as the panels are so bad the techs can't fix them.

• Informative
Reactions: katbc
Pirelli p zero elect came on my P. Unfortunetly I got a call today that I will not be able to pick up my car tomorrow. It has to go to a body shop as the panels are so bad the techs can't fix them.
I'm so sorry about the panels, and that you have to wait longer. I respect how chipper you are about it! We may have to wait until March for ours as we ordered later in the quarter, but we are still excited (as hard as it will be to wait that long). We just know what we are getting and it's worth waiting for!

64.1mm can work, if that tiny bit of the bore is machined to make room for that little chamfer. Some manufacturers do this as part of making Tesla wheels - See Martian Wheels for example. If they do not specifically do the chamfer machining for the Performance model issues, then yes, you need to get the larger size and use what are called centering rings. They are little metal or plastic inserts, with inside diameter matching the hub and outside diameter matching the bore in the wheel. That makes the wheel act like it was bored to the correct size and centers properly when torquing down lug nuts.
Thanks. We really don't want to fiddle too much with the set, my partner doesn't want to have to need the hub centric rings. Maybe we'll have to suck it up and 19"inch and get the Tesla ones.

Thanks. We really don't want to fiddle too much with the set, my partner doesn't want to have to need the hub centric rings. Maybe we'll have to suck it up and 19"inch and get the Tesla ones.
You shouldn’t worry too much about it, the hub is the same as the old. If you buy wheels from a company that say they will fit, they probably will. The wheels will have an chamfered edge to 71 mm so you don't have to worry about spacers. My wheels are specified with a 64,1 mm center bore but also has a lip that is 71 mm like the attached picture.

42810252220_01a3ac4e9b_c.jpg

Are the Uberturbines really 20x9 ET 34? I have a M3P but have yet to take my wheels off. I want to put a 245/35 or 255/35 all season on since I’m in Cali high desert. Pilot Sport A/S 3+
Sorry, haven't verified it myself but it will easily handle both of the widths you mention. Will probably look a little better with a little more buldge from the 255. I do find the 235 a little stretched just looking at them.

Reactions: AlexVCo
It's been confirmed but I took pics anyway. And a quick shot of my 18s mounted. No spacers or hubcentric rings. Ride as smooth as stock. Just not as quiet. Lol
Congrats on getting it!! Very exciting. Thanks for the pics, appreciate very much. If you happen to be able to snap a shot of what the inside of the uberturbones look like, I'd be really interested.

I was able to get a pic of the inside of the 2020 performance wheels (20" stock from Tesla) and I'd like to see if they look very different.

Congrats on getting it!! Very exciting. Thanks for the pics, appreciate very much. If you happen to be able to snap a shot of what the inside of the uberturbones look like, I'd be really interested.

I was able to get a pic of the inside of the 2020 performance wheels (20" stock from Tesla) and I'd like to see if they look very different.

Here you go

Attachments

• IMG_20201219_092734.jpg
    IMG_20201219_092734.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 335
  • Helpful
255/35 will fit on the wheel, but will it clear all suspension components?

2% greater overall diameter.

No idea! The 245 should fit as it seems the Uberturbines have the same specs as the referral wheels,20x9 +34, and they are listed on the Tesla shop with 245/35. Would be awesome if 255 fit but like you I am worried about suspension and fender clearance

• Helpful
255/35 will fit on the wheel, but will it clear all suspension components?

2% greater overall diameter.
I tried to find the documentation about clearance tolerances. Unfortunetly came up empty. It was somewhere around
27 1/4 " bein the max tire diameter you can safely run... Keep searching and something should pop up. 255/30 is a rock over 27". Could possibly get away with that. Not sure if there's a tire in that size however. Never looked.

I used tire rack.com to pick up an inexpensive set of 18in wheels and winter tires for my M3P (roughly $1200 USD). Tire rack takes the thought out of what wheels fit and only displays which ones work for our performance models FYI. As for the TPMS, my buddy is a master mechanic and I had him order a set of TPMS and program them. I can ask if you’re interested

which wheels did you get? I’m interested in the ASA gt14 18” and as per tire rack they are compatible and I know people have used them on pre 2021 p3d but does anyone know if they’ll fit on the 2021 mode?

which wheels did you get? I’m interested in the ASA gt14 18” and as per tire rack they are compatible and I know people have used them on pre 2021 p3d but does anyone know if they’ll fit on the 2021 mode?
These are the wheels I bought from tire rack. At the time, they were offering an instant rebate of $15 off each wheel so they were the most cost efficient. I didn’t feel like spending much if they were going to be my winter set.

Attachments

• C056C439-64CE-4072-A503-E403F24A4ED4.png
    C056C439-64CE-4072-A503-E403F24A4ED4.png
    828.3 KB · Views: 292
The Model 3 2020 are 8.5" and the 2021 Uberturbines are 9" wide. All model 3's have the same wheels on all four corners, they are not staggered (wider rears). Many aftermarket options offer staggered wheels because it gives a more aggressive look with a wider rear.
The options that fit on the previous 3 will fit the new one as well, apart from the TPMS of course. What you choose for your car is a matter of preference, me personally I already received my winter 20x8.5" on all fours for my 2021 Performance.
Can you specify exactly what your winter setup is and where to obtain? Thanks - waiting on my 2021 m3p ordered

Can you specify exactly what your winter setup is and where to obtain? Thanks - waiting on my 2021 m3p ordered
I bought mine from a Norwegian company, and the Bluetooth TPMS I bought from Tesla. But my rims looks the same as T-sportline TSS, so possible they have the same manufacturer as the ones i bought from.
Rims are 20x8.5 ET35 with 235/35 Gripmax suregrip pro winter tires.