Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance vs Long Range (rolling)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hardly conclusive because of the large number of variables, but interesting none the less. Not stirring the pot, just watched it and found it interesting as I own a 2021 performance.

Certainly appears the long range has an advantage over the 2021 performance as they move into field weakening (given the two rolling race speeds and difference in those results) vs standing start. With boost or ghost upgrades in long range, I'm not sure the 21 performance wins any of those races.

Single data point, just interesting.

Carwow video with RSymons cars:

Heavy heavy wheels... part of why I’m going 19s. Those Aeros are a ton lighter and rotational mass is a great equalizer.
I’d also like to see what the charge level is of the 3 cars. The raw thrust drops off if ur running under 65%. Could account for the difference.

That said, I’m sure that LR has the boost... wouldn’t have a prayer without. The new ones come with the boost as standard. It’s a fast LR for sure. Even with the boost 12.2 is quick compared to what I’ve seen in most tests. Also can’t recall when they went up in kWh of stock battery; possible the 2021 is carrying more battery than that 19, but I’d have to dig for when the change came.

Both dual motor cars are special.

Heavy heavy wheels... part of why I’m going 19s. Those Aeros are a ton lighter and rotational mass is a great equalizer.
I’d also like to see what the charge level is of the 3 cars. The raw thrust drops off if ur running under 65%. Could account for the difference.

That said, I’m sure that LR has the boost... wouldn’t have a prayer without. The new ones come with the boost as standard. It’s a fast LR for sure. Even with the boost 12.2 is quick compared to what I’ve seen in most tests. Also can’t recall when they went up in kWh of stock battery; possible the 2021 is carrying more battery than that 19, but I’d have to dig for when the change came.

It didn’t have the AB. You see Matt playing with the settings and acceleration was on Standard.

Reactions: Kaehny and El joe
Well. Then it’s nearly 0.5s faster than any model 3 LR I’ve ever seen quoted without it... really hard to account for. Basically every major outlet testing had that 2018-19 LR running 12.6-13.0 in the quarter. That’s a lot of umph to account for. Don’t know why it’s so fast.

Reactions: dfwatt
Well. Then it’s nearly 0.5s faster than any model 3 LR I’ve ever seen quoted without it... really hard to account for. Basically every major outlet testing had that 2018-19 LR running 12.6-13.0 in the quarter. That’s a lot of umph to account for. Don’t know why it’s so fast.
If it’s a cold day, the 2021 could just have been slower as I’ve seen plenty of 11.4 range Performance runs in the quarter.

Being new to this forum I‘ll introduce myself maybe later!

I‘ve got a M3P 2021 and this video made me question if I made the right decision. But on the other hand, I know that Tesla has made various improvements to driving performance over time, be it the MiC LFP battery charging speed, be it Model S and X acceleration improvements and M3 acceleration improvements twice about 5%.
So this leads my to questions like

- is the refreshed M3 drivetrain hardware already maxxed out and if not, how much more is feasible without compromising durability?
- is the refreshed M3 82kwh battery already maxxed out? If yes, why so as opposed to the LFP battery where we had significant improvements and if no: how much more discharge power can it handle?
- how does Tesla generally work in terms of how much performance buffer is in their products when they release them and what causes the improvements to be released? Are they planned in during the design phase to be released later intentionally or is it more like: oh we‘ve accidentially found some quirks to make our cars better!

Not really expecting answers but I wanted to share these thoughts and maybe there are others with more knowledge than I have.

If LR is really so close to the P it would rather make sense to go for the LR and buy a BBK and suspension upgrades if I don‘t really need the track mode imho.

I’ve seen other drag tests where the pre refresh Performance model is the same as the LR past 70 mph. It seems the refresh is definitely slower in the Car Wow test.

not a big deal. Just make sure it’s below 70 mph when you do a race with a LR;)

Being new to this forum I‘ll introduce myself maybe later!

I‘ve got a M3P 2021 and this video made me question if I made the right decision. But on the other hand, I know that Tesla has made various improvements to driving performance over time, be it the MiC LFP battery charging speed, be it Model S and X acceleration improvements and M3 acceleration improvements twice about 5%.
So this leads my to questions like

- is the refreshed M3 drivetrain hardware already maxxed out and if not, how much more is feasible without compromising durability?
- is the refreshed M3 82kwh battery already maxxed out? If yes, why so as opposed to the LFP battery where we had significant improvements and if no: how much more discharge power can it handle?
- how does Tesla generally work in terms of how much performance buffer is in their products when they release them and what causes the improvements to be released? Are they planned in during the design phase to be released later intentionally or is it more like: oh we‘ve accidentially found some quirks to make our cars better!

Not really expecting answers but I wanted to share these thoughts and maybe there are others with more knowledge than I have.

If LR is really so close to the P it would rather make sense to go for the LR and buy a BBK and suspension upgrades if I don‘t really need the track mode imho.
You made the right choice. You get track mode and you get much better launch from a dig. I'm one of the people who believes that that car was tweaked either with the ghost kit or with Tesla's own Boost although that should have made the changes on the display that people noted were not present. As for whether or not the performance is truly maxed out nobody knows. They have to leave some margin in the inverter and they don't want to deteriorate the battery so you have to set limits on how much current the system is handling. I'm sure if they were willing to remove those limits you could get zero to 60 in under 3 seconds. But would it be worth it if if that meant you lost half your battery life? Or had to replace the inverter? In any case, most of the time just over 3 seconds 0 to 60 is more acceleration than you can realistically use very often safely in a real-world environment. That said, let's face it, everybody wants more power!:cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: Kaehny

The new ones have acceleration boost activated standard? When I talked to a sales person at show room they said the new ones stock was 0-60 in 4.2 and with acceleration boost drops to 3.7 instead of 3.9 ish

I think there is a simple explanation. The battery was probably cold and up until 2021.4.11 that meant that the voltage drop that was allowed with the 2021 P was Very conservative.

On the German TFF forum they actually found that the 2021 had more power from 50 mph than the pre facelift P and that the P always had more power that the LR with boost, let alone without boost.

517E6D4F-C797-465B-AACC-F3515E4A0DFF.jpeg

That was a good Video.

I thought it was funny they showed a Performance Dual Motor Badge for the first non Performance Vehicle.
Yeah which means somebody swapped out the badge and that goes with the likelihood that they did some other performance tweaking like the ghost upgrade, not the full bore one but maybe the cheap one.

The dual motor badge with the underline is an editing mistake, that shot is a totally unrelated car unfortunately. I guess they forgot to take a close up and found a clip somewhere.

Pause the video at 25 seconds in, just before the underlined badge shot, and there is no underline on the badge on Mat's car. Also the registration plate has a black border on Mat's long range, which is not there on the underlined badge shot a few seconds later.

Reactions: Zoomit
Yeah which means somebody swapped out the badge and that goes with the likelihood that they did some other performance tweaking like the ghost upgrade, not the full bore one but maybe the cheap one.
No, the car they drove did not have that badge. They just stole the badge view from somewhere else. And forgot to steel one for a white non performance. Probably realized they forgot to take a shot during editing.

LR with the boost dips into the 11s no problem. I've seen several runs hit 11.8 (2020 and under). Without the boost, I think it's about mid 12, but not sure on that. I don't know if the 2021 is any different, but it should not be.

Seen these times repeated at the track as well.

Reactions: mdsco