Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance vs LR - Regen braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - first time poster trying to decide between a Model 3 performance vs LR AWD. TMC forums have been very helpful in providing information.

One thing I was curious about: I know that for 2021 models, Tesla removed the ability to change regen braking. I normally wouldn't mind this myself but occasionally when I'm driving with my dog, I think it would be useful to have the ability to set it on "low" to make it less jerky and less likely she'll get car sick.

It looks like if I get the 2021 M3P, I would still be able to go into the "Track Mode" settings and change this (if my understanding is correct). But the LR AWD would always be set to full regen braking.

I was curious if my understanding is correct that I could just go into some deeper settings on the M3P to adjust this. I'm not super keen on spending the extra cost just for that but it might factor in. It seems like I'm otherwise out of luck to smooth that aspect of the ride out for her if I go with the LR (which otherwise seems like a good option for me).

Thanks for the help!

modulate the pedal on either one, once you get used to it, and it's a non issue. If you've never driven an EV much when you first get it you will treat the accelerator like an on off switch and it will be jerky but once you get used to the change there is little need for reduced regen. (an inclement weather setting being the exception that would be nice)

Hello - first time poster trying to decide between a Model 3 performance vs LR AWD. TMC forums have been very helpful in providing information.

One thing I was curious about: I know that for 2021 models, Tesla removed the ability to change regen braking. I normally wouldn't mind this myself but occasionally when I'm driving with my dog, I think it would be useful to have the ability to set it on "low" to make it less jerky and less likely she'll get car sick.

It looks like if I get the 2021 M3P, I would still be able to go into the "Track Mode" settings and change this (if my understanding is correct). But the LR AWD would always be set to full regen braking.

I was curious if my understanding is correct that I could just go into some deeper settings on the M3P to adjust this. I'm not super keen on spending the extra cost just for that but it might factor in. It seems like I'm otherwise out of luck to smooth that aspect of the ride out for her if I go with the LR (which otherwise seems like a good option for me).

Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure where you're getting the information that regen braking is jerky. You're creating a problem for yourself that doesn't exist. It's generally far smoother than any human manual application of a friction brake system. At higher speeds it's also attenuated so that it does not overload or damage the batteries with more charging current than they can handle. It's only capable outside of track mode of about 0.2 G of deceleration so that is hardly anything that's going to slam somebody into the dashboard. Weakening that level of regen wastes energy and means you'll be using friction brakes. The standard-setting is the proper setting for the car. Get used to it and you'll appreciate how well it functions.

Making this adjustment is like learning how to appreciate that the entire operating system is run through the touch screen. Once you make that transition you will realize this is the way all cars should be. It's easier, it works better, it saves energy, it's more efficient, so again make the transition and don't worry about it

Last edited:
modulate the pedal on either one, once you get used to it, and it's a non issue. If you've never driven an EV much when you first get it you will treat the accelerator like an on off switch and it will be jerky but once you get used to the change there is little need for reduced regen. (an inclement weather setting being the exception that would be nice)

Thanks for the info - I think this is what I was doing (on my test drive). It was the first time I was driving an EV. Seems like I just need to adjust how I use the accelerator. Appreciate the info!

I can only confirm this with the 21 performance. You can control amount of regen through the track mode. It's what I use during snow covered and icy roads. To many times the factoty regen has kicked in on me and caused me to get squirrelly. Only annoyance, is you have to select it while in park.