Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance, winter tires and wheels recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I have a tesla model 3 performance and I've been doing research for what tire and wheel is best for winter but its kind of all over the place. I am seeing a lot of people recommending 18 inch wheels for the winter. I know there are issues with clearing the breaks and what not and I was wondering if these would fit.

In regards to tires, what is everyone's thoughts on studded vs not. I live in Vermont and winters can get harsh at times. I have been looking at Nokian H9 tires as well as the Michelin X ice snow.

I know winter is basically here and I am bit late but looking forward to everyone's opinion!

18" wheels specifically designed to fit on Tesla Model 3 will clear calipers, including the bigger ones on the Performance model. Martian Wheels and T Sportline have 18" wheels that work. If you drive in cities you don't need studded tires, good snow tires will be plenty. You would only need studded tires if you drive up mountains or on roads that is never plowed.

18" wheels specifically designed to fit on Tesla Model 3 will clear calipers, including the bigger ones on the Performance model. Martian Wheels and T Sportline have 18" wheels that work. If you drive in cities you don't need studded tires, good snow tires will be plenty. You would only need studded tires if you drive up mountains or on roads that is never plowed.
Should I just get tires for the stock 20's and call it a day?

You can. 20" snow tires are not as common but they are available and also more expensive. If you swap on 20" snow tires late fall or early winter, you will want to swap the OEM P-Zero summer tires back on when spring and summer are back. Each time you swap four tires it will cost you $100 to $120 at a tire shop (remove wheel/tire from car, remove tire from wheel, put on tire on wheel, rebalance tire and wheel, put balanced wheel/tire back on car). You will pay that twice a year. I just paid $125 plus tax for Discount Tire to mount and balance four new tires on my new wheels.

Compare that to having dedicated snow tires, you need to have room to store the set of tires that you are not using. You will also need to pay a shop to swap tires on and off the car, but should be cheaper because you don't need to remove tire and rebalance. You can also do summer/winter tire swap at home if you have a jack, jack pad for Tesla, manual or power wrench to remove the lug nuts, and a torque wrench to torque the lug nuts back on at the correct torque (129 lb-ft). I do this on my MB GLA45 AMG.

One other option is to use all-season tires like Continental DWS06 Plus that works in light snow. But it won't work as well as true winter tires in heavy snow. I have 19" DWS06 Plus tires on 19" Signature wheels my Model 3 Performance and run it all year round. We don't have that much snow over here.

Should I just get tires for the stock 20's and call it a day?
Get separate winter wheels. Much more convenient than swapping tires, and often cheaper in the long run, especially when it makes your snow tires cheaper by downsizing. Also the skinny sidewalls you need for 20" tires on a Model 3 really don't make sense for winter tires, so don't turn your stock wheels into your winter wheels.

I just received the 18x8.5 ET35 wheels I ordered for my M3P (Titan7 T-S5 in Satin Titanium). They're supposed to be a direct fitment, I'll find out soon, car is out for PPF install right now. I'm putting summer tires on them first, probably 245/45R18, but eventually they'll become my winter wheels and I'll get separate summer wheels.

I'm not sure yet if I want my long-term summer wheels to be 18" or 19", nor how wide, so I figure running through a set of summer tires on 18x8.5 will help me figure that out. I won't be doing any snow driving this winter though, if I was I would put snow tires on right away of course.

(What I do know is I can't keep using the stock 20s. I've already cracked big Tesla OE cast wheels with rubberband tires on the roads around here, I don't want to deal with that again. I hope roads in Vermont are better, but if they're bad, consider getting separate smaller wheels for summer too.)

Reactions: Pricedm
Get separate winter wheels. Much more convenient than swapping tires, and often cheaper in the long run, especially when it makes your snow tires cheaper by downsizing. Also the skinny sidewalls you need for 20" tires on a Model 3 really don't make sense for winter tires, so don't turn your stock wheels into your winter wheels.

I just received the 18x8.5 ET35 wheels I ordered for my M3P (Titan7 T-S5 in Satin Titanium). They're supposed to be a direct fitment, I'll find out soon, car is out for PPF install right now. I'm putting summer tires on them first, probably 245/45R18, but eventually they'll become my winter wheels and I'll get separate summer wheels.

I'm not sure yet if I want my long-term summer wheels to be 18" or 19", nor how wide, so I figure running through a set of summer tires on 18x8.5 will help me figure that out. I won't be doing any snow driving this winter though, if I was I would put snow tires on right away of course.

(What I do know is I can't keep using the stock 20s. I've already cracked big Tesla OE cast wheels with rubberband tires on the roads around here, I don't want to deal with that again. I hope roads in Vermont are better, but if they're bad, consider getting separate smaller wheels for summer too.)
I found a wheel I like on carID that is said to fit, can you take a look and tell me what you think, they offer two different offsets for the 18 inch version, +30 or +40,

I found a wheel I like on carID that is said to fit, can you take a look and tell me what you think, they offer two different offsets for the 18 inch version, +30 or +40,

Discount Tire/America’s Tire is a TSW dealer - reach out to your local store to ask the question and buy from them. That way if you run into any issues, they’re your advocate.

Discount Tire/America’s Tire is a TSW dealer - reach out to your local store to ask the question and buy from them. That way if you run into any issues, they’re your advocate.
Just ordered these. But for an M3P it’s easier to get 19s and clear the brake vs some aggressive offset sizing with 18s. Stock Aero 18s definitely do not fit.

Tires wise I suggest Continental for winter. It’s the ONLY tire of Conti I would ever recommend. Their all season and performance are trash. Blizzard are also a great option.

Did the Titan7 wheels fit your M3P?

Did the Titan7 wheels fit your M3P?

Yup! Just got them mounted this morning. I'll share pics when I get home.
1639769738446.png

1639769778497.png

1639769823857.png

• Love
Reactions: BigNick