Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance with factory Michelin Pilot Sport tyres?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a used 2021 M3P and to my surprise the wheels with 20" Uberturbines were with Michelin Pilot Sports instead of Pirelli P Zero. I thought that all "facelift" models were supposed to come with P Zeros?

Is there btw to tell when the vehicle was manufactured? Is that the day when the warranty started based? The app says that's Mar 18 2025 so would that be Mar 18 2021?

IMG_7392.jpeg
IMG_7447.jpeg
Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 20.42.40.png

Maybe the previous owner blessed you with some Michelins. And some curb rash for that matter :p
Oh yeah definitely some rash going on there. The dealer promised to "take care" of that tomorrow, let's see what happens.

Btw looking at the registration sheet and only 20" wheels are allowed? The previous owner thrower some 18" winter tyres but can I even use those?

Oh yeah definitely some rash going on there. The dealer promised to "take care" of that tomorrow, let's see what happens.

Btw looking at the registration sheet and only 20" wheels are allowed? The previous owner thrower some 18" winter tyres but can I even use those?
Yes, you can use 18s as long as they clear the front brake calipers. I run an 18 inch winter setup on my P3D+

@Simbe90 Almost certainly a previous owner replaced the tires. It's possible Tesla fit those Michelins from the factory, but I think this would be the first report of it on Uberturbines on TMC, so that seems unlikely. Are they they Tesla spec? (T0 / T1 / etc, depending on how many revisions there have been of this particular Tesla spec tire)

How many miles are on the car? What's the tread depth on those tires? Measure all four tires and check tread at 3 spots (inside, middle, outside). It seems perfectly reasonable for an M3P from March 2021 to have worn through its original tires by now, depending on its mileage. Or of course they could've damaged the tires on curbs, potholes, etc.

My 2021 M3P came with the Pirelli PZ4 and I can tell you firsthand they're well below par for their class. It's good that whoever replaced your tires chose something better!

Edit: Yes as others have said, some aftermarket 18" wheels fit over the M3P PUP brakes. Presumably the 18" winter setup from the previous owner fits, though of course test fitting them front and rear will tell the truth of it, best to do that before you need them!

For barrel clearance it's the REAR brakes with the tightest fitment, specifically the parking brake actuator.

For spoke clearance it's the front fixed caliper with opposed pistons that sticks out furthest from the hub, of course.

Wheel weight placement is key for 18" fitment on the M3P brakes, especially for the rear parking brake.

Source: I'm using 18x8.5" wheels on my 2021 M3P (with PUP). :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mpgxsvcd