Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - having read all the problems with the Model 3 i'm nervous about ordering one. We were planing on ordering a M3 LR this week... I have also read on some forums that the M3's produced in China have fewer quality related issues than those in Fremont. Are any of you able to shed any light on this ? I think the location of where a M3 is manufactured can be determined via the VIN... Many thanks for your help
I had zero paint defects upon delivery. Immediately put PPF on the front end, followed by ceramic everywhere.

Don’t worry about the issues you read about here (though they’re real). It’s a great car.

Reactions: travesty
My $0.02:
I got a production ramp / end of quarter / end of year car built in the last day or two of Dec 2020 and the car itself has been (nearly) perfect. No mechanical or computer problems. No apparent panel gaps. The only small gripe is in certain light you can see a little more "orange peel" to the paint texture than my previous car. But that's being super nitpicky. Car is white with black interior M3P.

Sorry man, I think you got a dud.

Reactions: Petermcg
Damn @travesty i remember you from the M3P waiting room thread. We were all very anxious and hopeful for our cars to show up. Sucks to hear that you’ve had all of these issues.

I haven’t had really any problems to speak of myself, seems like you had some really bad luck. I hope that your future experience is good and you can really enjoy this thing.

The fender camera issue may return. This is a common fault on 2021 models. I had both sides fail, so had both fender cameras replaced. Mine started at one that was intermittent, like you experienced, but it got worse. The other side just suddenly stopped working. Always a spinning icon during the fault. When you see it spinning on the display and the fault is intermittent, take a photo as proof.

I haven't had any resets or reboot issues.

Interesting to hear the computer part has changed. I wonder why.
I have a 2020 M3 and one it's left fender cameo failed within two weeks. So the issue isn't just limited to 2021 models. When the mobile service guy gothere, it turned out the camera wasn't the problem. It was a faulty cable connecting the camera to the car's computers. The service guy said it was a common issue with 2020 M3's

Well, a couple of things. I was a supervisor when the Fremont plant was still a joint venture between GM and Toyota and we had great paint. I just don't understand what happened to the paint dept! I have a 2021 model 3 P and it's been flawless for 1,000 miles. I had the hood and front end covered with plastic and the people who did the job said that they have to clay every car that comes into their shop because of minor [paint problems, including the "wonderful" Porsches. Good luck with you ventures with Tesla.