Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 SR+ (NCA) and the Tesla Wall Charger (Gen 2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a late 2021 Model 3 SR+ that still features the NCA batteries. I was previously expecting to buy a Model Y long range (at launch) and in preparation for it set up a Gen 2 Wall Charger in my garage on a 60amp circuit in order to achieve 48A max charge rate on the MY LR.

When I connected my M3 SR+ it seems to only pull 32A and wasn't sure if this is just the max this vehicle can do (I know that's true for LFP but thought the NCA version could do up to 48A?) or is something not configured right on my Wall Charger?

When I connected my M3 SR+ it seems to only pull 32A and wasn't sure if this is just the max this vehicle can do
Yes, the SR and SR+, and the very short-lived MR have a smaller onboard charger that can only process up to 32A maximum. It is only the large sized battery cars that also have the bigger onboard charger that can do up to 48A.
(I know that's true for LFP but thought the NCA version could do up to 48A?) or is something not configured right on my Wall Charger?
Those are just different battery chemistry types, but are not the size. Tesla chose to associate the charger power with the battery sizes:
Small battery = small charger (32A)
Large battery = large charger (48A)

Yes, the SR and SR+, and the very short-lived MR have a smaller onboard charger that can only process up to 32A maximum. It is only the large sized battery cars that also have the bigger onboard charger that can do up to 48A.

Those are just different battery chemistry types, but are not the size. Tesla chose to associate the charger power with the battery sizes:
Small battery = small charger (32A)
Large battery = large charger (48A)
Makes perfect sense and glad to hear it’s not something wrong with the Wall Charger setup!