Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 SR+ vs LR Purchase...Check My Assumptions & Conclusions Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am torn on upgrading from my model 3 long range to the performance, the only caveat is I love the smoothness of the 18’s with the 45 sidewall. Trying to see if I swap out the 20’s and put a 40 or 45 sidewall tire will I get true range closest to the 334 or 358 ( i know miles won’t change on the screen but as far as Battery range estimation ) . Most say the 315 range is only because of the 20’s but some have said it’s also because of the motors ? Appreciate all of your feedback! Happy holidays 😎
ROFL at 315 range. Anyway, you have to factor in that there is a lot more acceleration and that is going to burn battery.

I am torn on upgrading from my model 3 long range to the performance, the only caveat is I love the smoothness of the 18’s with the 45 sidewall. Trying to see if I swap out the 20’s and put a 40 or 45 sidewall tire will I get true range closest to the 334 or 358 ( i know miles won’t change on the screen but as far as Battery range estimation ) . Most say the 315 range is only because of the 20’s but some have said it’s also because of the motors ? Appreciate all of your feedback! Happy holidays 😎

If you want the smoothness and range of the 18s it sounds like what you really might want is an AWD with the Acceleration Boost option. You may not have heard of it but after you buy the AWD you can upgrade it for $2,000 to be almost as quick as the P but for a lot less money. And the option is from Tesla itself so it won't mess with your warranty.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
As another poster already mentioned, you should look into the Acceleration Boost software upgrade post-purchase. It's only $2,000 and gets you very close to the acceleration of the Performance trim. Note that Tesla is inconsistent (some would say cheating) in the way they measure 0-60 times on Performance vs. non-Performance trims. For all the Performance trims, Tesla subtracts a "1-foot rollout" from the 0-60 time, which makes it shorter than a true 0-60. For non-Performance trims, Tesla quotes the true 0-60 time. With the Acceleration Boost, the P and LR are a few tenths of a second apart in 0-60 performance.

With all that said, if you still feel that you absolutely need to have the Performance trim, there are a number of aftermarket 18" wheels that will fit over the Performance brakes. T Sportline makes some, and the guy from Engineering Explained installed a set of them on his Model 3 Performance after going on a road trip and destroying two tires and wheels on a pothole due to the small sidewall and design of the 20" wheels. If you search for it on Youtube, I'm sure you'll find his video about it.

Reactions: DwightKSchrute
As has been said, just get the £1500 (UK) Acceleration Boost: it's what I will do next month!
Also take the Aero wheel trims off and get the Tesla hub cover, exposing what are really quite good alloy wheels.
£53.00 when they are back in stock.

Regarding the fast charging "advantage" over the SR+, you are never assured the max 250 kW supercharging. Here's that super fast V3 charging with the dual motor after trying 3 different stalls and only 4 cars charging 🙃

Pb6EONE.jpg

This happens somewhat often. Tesla really needs to figure out how to level out the power distribution amongst charging stalls
The 170kW max charging of the SR+ works out to be roughly the same charge rate percentage wise to the LR and Performance Models. Because of the size the battery packs are 53kWh total or so and 82kWh for the other two. Which is a nearly 55% increase while the charging is also increased by 47%(170-250kW)