Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 model 3 Standard Range Plus - 990 or 980 Motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It recently came to my attention before I ordered a SR+ that there are two different motors that the car can come with. What's the difference between these two motors and how do I know which motor I'm getting for a 2021 SR+.

Is one motor more efficient than the other? Is the 980 or 990 the better motor? Does one last longer than the other?

Is it true which Tesla motor you get depends on the sales quarter? Does it depends on supply chain?

It recently came to my attention before I ordered a SR+ that there are two different motors that the car can come with. What's the difference between these two motors and how do I know which motor I'm getting for a 2021 SR+.

Is one motor more efficient than the other? Is the 980 or 990 the better motor? Does one last longer than the other?

Is it true which Tesla motor you get depends on the sales quarter? Does it depends on supply chain?

No, there are not "two motors that can come with a NEW model 3 SR+". New SR+ come with the 990 motor. That motor is slightly less powerful. It has ZERO (zip, nada, zilch) impact on a regular owner. The only reason someone would care, is because older SR+ that have that 980 motor can have an after market boost kit to fool the car into thinking its a different model vehicle, for faster 0-60 times.

The 980 motor is the rear motor used in the Tesla model 3 Performance vehicle (and in the model 3 LR RWD that is no longer manufactured). You will not get to choose, to our knowledge tesla does not put the 980 in new SR+ vehicles. Tesla being Tesla, if they somehow "run out" of the 990 motor they have determined meets the specs. for the SR+, its not out of the realm of possibility they "could" put a 980 in there, but its unlikely.

It also wont matter unless you plan on buying this aftermarket boost kit.

• Informative
Reactions: thinktwice and GeoG
No, there are not "two motors that can come with a NEW model 3 SR+". New SR+ come with the 990 motor. That motor is slightly less powerful. It has ZERO (zip, nada, zilch) impact on a regular owner. The only reason someone would care, is because older SR+ that have that 980 motor can have an after market boost kit to fool the car into thinking its a different model vehicle, for faster 0-60 times.

The 980 motor is the rear motor used in the Tesla model 3 Performance vehicle (and in the model 3 LR RWD that is no longer manufactured). You will not get to choose, to our knowledge tesla does not put the 980 in new SR+ vehicles. Tesla being Tesla, if they somehow "run out" of the 990 motor they have determined meets the specs. for the SR+, its not out of the realm of possibility they "could" put a 980 in there, but its unlikely.

Thank you for explaining this. I was waiting for an answer as well.

Some people might not care about about voiding the warranty on their motors. Is anyone on TMC crazy enough to buy a 980 engine and put it in the front or rear of their model 3. I see some websites sell 980 engines separately. Does anyone know how to hook up this motor to the front and convert the SR+ to a AWD?? This sounds pretty fun mod if anyone has tried that. And you could maybe save a couple grand

The front engine is not a 980 (and its not even the same style engine). You are talking about a full re engineering of the car, and the software. The 980 engine is not the front engine even in the Model 3P, so.. no, this isnt going to be done by anyone unless they are starting up a car company along with software engineering.

The front engine is not a 980 (and its not even the same style engine). You are talking about a full re engineering of the car, and the software. The 980 engine is not the front engine even in the Model 3P, so.. no, this isnt going to be done by anyone unless they are starting up a car company along with software engineering.
Okay yes I see that point. BUT how easy is it to swap a rear motor for a rear motor? Plain and simple. 980 for a 990? Ingenext and others sell motors and there are some people who did the swap on youtube. A mechanic can probably do a 980 990 swap. "Software engineers" may not be the right subject matter expert.

Some people might not care about about voiding the warranty on their motors. Is anyone on TMC crazy enough to buy a 980 engine and put it in the front or rear of their model 3. I see some websites sell 980 engines separately. Does anyone know how to hook up this motor to the front and convert the SR+ to a AWD?? This sounds pretty fun mod if anyone has tried that. And you could maybe save a couple grand

You would need to swap the battery too, and a lot of other bits, so there goes the savings plan...

Damn :( I was pumped to get a boost on my new M3 SR+ Based on the ingenext upgrade but now realize I likely have the 990 motor .
Arghh…I could have bought a used 2020 to verified.
Any word of any upgrade for 990 motors??

Damn :( I was pumped to get a boost on my new M3 SR+ Based on the ingenext upgrade but now realize I likely have the 990 motor .
Arghh…I could have bought a used 2020 to verified.
Any word of any upgrade for 990 motors??

Thats a question for ingenext but I wouldnt count on it, since I think all they are really doing is tricking the car into thinking is a different model (that has that motor in it).

Thats a question for ingenext but I wouldnt count on it, since I think all they are really doing is tricking the car into thinking is a different model (that has that motor in it).
Probably correct. Tesla must have purposefully engineered a 990 to plug this discovered gap.
Well I do hope they offer something to SR+ sooner than later ie. some increased rage or power. With LR now getting 3.8 w/boost, there is no longer any 4 sec model 3 lol. Another gap to fill lol

We’ll it looks like the LFP Model 3 does indeed have the Performance 980 motor!

Assuming that all of them would come with it because someone got one with that motor would be..... lets just say "not a good assumption to make". I dont have any inside info on this, but I do know that tesla substitutes parts etc if something is out of stock. Its entirely possible that they could be out of 990s so subbed in some 980s on some builds, but expecting that to be "the norm" would just make someone frustrated when they didnt get that motor.

I just got my 2021 Model 3 SR+ LFP battery. After removing the rear drivers side aero cap and looking for the motor plaque, indeed, I have a 980 motor! Someone else on the Tesla Model 3 owners FB group indicated that he sold his 2020 SR+ for a 2021 SR+ LFP and he claims that the car feels so much quicker. Two others have indicated that they also have the 980 motor in their new 2021 SR+ LFP. Unfortunate that the 980 with the LFP battery can't use the Ingenext boost :(

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
I just got my 2021 Model 3 SR+ LFP battery. After removing the rear drivers side aero cap and looking for the motor plaque, indeed, I have a 980 motor! Someone else on the Tesla Model 3 owners FB group indicated that he sold his 2020 SR+ for a 2021 SR+ LFP and he claims that the car feels so much quicker. Two others have indicated that they also have the 980 motor in their new 2021 SR+ LFP. Unfortunate that the 980 with the LFP battery can't use the Ingenext boost :(
I'm one of those folks. I just did some playing around and the LFP 980 equipped SR+ is much quicker off the line as well. My 2020 SR+ had a very lazy response when stomping it from a light. This one is way more responsive.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
9B8E88C7-E338-4A0A-B329-AFB0DB258AA3.jpeg

2021 sr+ LFP. took deliver 2 weeks ago. Looks like 980 motor.