Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Steering Column Side to Side Movement

ijoe13

Nov 18, 2020
Seattle
I’ve had my Model 3 for a couple of months and noticed that the steering column seems to have a slight left-right movement to its. It’s small, but definitely noticeable. No matter how in/out or up/down I set the wheel, it’s still evident.

I had Tesla service look at it but they said they had to work with their Engineering team to determine what the issue could be and when (or if?) they figured out the issue, they would advise on whether or not it can be fixed or if the steering column has to be replaced. They said the car was safe to drive, which it seems to be, but still leaves something to be desired.

The service advisor told me this is the first time he’d seen this issue.

Anyone else have this issue and if so, what was the fix?

Kerry Blue

Dec 2, 2020
Colorado
Had this, presented as a knock while turning on roundabouts, SC replaced steering rack. Much better than before but still has slight left to right play, knock seems to have gone but only driven 50 miles since replacement. Seemed like they knew what it was as they had the part in stock and didn’t question my diagnosis.

Reactions: ijoe13

ijoe13

Nov 18, 2020
Seattle
Had this, presented as a knock while turning on roundabouts, SC replaced steering rack. Much better than before but still has slight left to right play, knock seems to have gone but only driven 50 miles since replacement. Seemed like they knew what it was as they had the part in stock and didn’t question my diagnosis.

I haven’t had any type of noise or knocking at any part of the turning radius. Glad to hear they’re willing to replace the part(s) as needed. I’ve just never had this type of issue. Not even on really crappy old cars I’ve had. Seems like this shouldn’t be an issue that passes QC.

ijoe13

Nov 18, 2020
Seattle

Forgot to ask.. are you ok with the steering column having any play in at all? I’m going to have a very difficult time accepting it if they end up not fixing it if they declare it “within tolerance.”

Kerry Blue

Dec 2, 2020
Colorado
Thud not present after new rack but there is still a slight movement if you move steering wheel left to right (not turning). Not noticeable when driving so I’m fine with it, if the knock comes back I won’t be.

Raechris

Nov 21, 2017
Boston
I have experienced what you are describing too. It is not obvious but easily noticeable by feel. It doesn't seem unsafe but I am aware in case it gets worse

fiehlsport

Jul 30, 2020
Binghamton, NY
My '18 does the same thing. I brought it up to mobile service in the first month and he said it was within tolerance. It has not gotten worse in 37,000 miles. It sounds like it wiggles left and right just like yours. Not something I feel when driving, only when getting in and out of the car.

ijoe13

Nov 18, 2020
Seattle
UPDATE: I ended up having the issue looked at by a mobile ranger who agreed it needed to be looked at in the shop. I took the car into a local Tesla shop, they looked at it and said the issue exists, but they had to get some guidance from their internal Engineering team. A couple of weeks later, they had me bring the car back in and they replaced the steering column. They stated the issue was related to some type of connection point/joint in the steering column. Needless to say, the steering column is rock solid now, no matter what position it is in, as it should be from the factory without excuse. The cheapest cars I’ve ever had never had this issue, so it was disappointing to experience this issue on a $50k car. None the less, my persistence paid off and the issue is resolved.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC