Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 STR+ Battery Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to all, I'm looking for some clarification on the battery range of my car. (Side note I live in Arizona)

I have a Model 3 STR+ that I have been driving since Late December 12/20. I typically drive 40-60 Miles a day for commute to work plus whatever else I end up doing this is a good estimate. My first year I did not use my mobile charger because I had 0 knowledge about the effects of constantly supercharging. Almost every 1-2 days I would supercharge my car to about 80%.

Around August 2021 I received an error on my screen: Maximum battery charge level reduced/unable to charge battery to 100% (I am not sure what the error code was)
I then created a service appointment where they did this: Correction: HV Battery (Dual Motor) (Remove & Replace).
This all was covered by my Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty. Once this happened I was given a loaner for about a week which was pretty nice.

Eventually I was given back my car and I began super charging for like a month. Then I figured I can just try out the mobile charger because I did not want to go through the trouble of installing a wall charger.

I do not supercharge unless I go on trips now. I did go on a trip this weekend to LA and super charged about 5 times total there & back. I used the navigation on the tesla screen so It would tell me which supercharges to hit along the way.

Now that I am back I decided to take a look at my battery life and see how it's keeping up & I want to know if there's anything I should do.
My 90% Charge range is about 223 Miles. I believe my car is supposed to be capable of about 263 Miles.
So considering 90% of 263 is about 236 Miles.

This means I have about 13-15 Miles of degradation? Is there anything I should do to try to recover range?
I currently only use my mobile charger and top off my battery at night to 90%.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_0838.jpg
    IMG_0838.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 149
Hello to all, I'm looking for some clarification on the battery range of my car. (Side note I live in Arizona)

I have a Model 3 STR+ that I have been driving since Late December 12/20. I typically drive 40-60 Miles a day for commute to work plus whatever else I end up doing this is a good estimate. My first year I did not use my mobile charger because I had 0 knowledge about the effects of constantly supercharging. Almost every 1-2 days I would supercharge my car to about 80%.

Around August 2021 I received an error on my screen: Maximum battery charge level reduced/unable to charge battery to 100% (I am not sure what the error code was)
I then created a service appointment where they did this: Correction: HV Battery (Dual Motor) (Remove & Replace).
This all was covered by my Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty. Once this happened I was given a loaner for about a week which was pretty nice.

Eventually I was given back my car and I began super charging for like a month. Then I figured I can just try out the mobile charger because I did not want to go through the trouble of installing a wall charger.

I do not supercharge unless I go on trips now. I did go on a trip this weekend to LA and super charged about 5 times total there & back. I used the navigation on the tesla screen so It would tell me which supercharges to hit along the way.

Now that I am back I decided to take a look at my battery life and see how it's keeping up & I want to know if there's anything I should do.
My 90% Charge range is about 223 Miles. I believe my car is supposed to be capable of about 263 Miles.

This means I have about 13-15 Miles of degradation? Is there anything I should do to try to recover range?

Thanks for the help!
If you have a late 2020 Model 3, you should have the NCA battery. I also have a 263 mile NCA battery Model 3 SR+. I took delivery last July and have put close to 23k miles on it. Have Supercharged less than 2 dozen times, otherwise vast majority of charging at home via my ChargePoint Home Flex + adapter. I also charge to 90% almost all the time. According to TeslaFi, my most recent estimated full charge was 250 miles, or 13 miles of degradation. It's pretty much remained steady at 250 (give or take a few miles on either side) for the past 6 months.

range chart.jpg

Upvote 0
If you have a late 2020 Model 3, you should have the NCA battery. I also have a 263 mile NCA battery Model 3 SR+. I took delivery last July and have put close to 23k miles on it. Have Supercharged less than 2 dozen times, otherwise vast majority of charging at home via my ChargePoint Home Flex + adapter. I also charge to 90% almost all the time. According to TeslaFi, my most recent estimated full charge was 250 miles, or 13 miles of degradation. It's pretty much remained steady at 250 (give or take a few miles on either side) for the past 6 months.

View attachment 801262
Thanks, I am assuming that 250 is pretty normal for the battery to begin to top off considering most degradation is about 3-5% depending on driving habits. I will look into trying TeslaFi. It seems we almost have the same range I may fall between 247-250. I also charge to about 90% and continue to top off about 50 miles every night.

Upvote 0

Thanks for the help!

Heres a screenshot of my TeslaFi.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-06 112619.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-06 112619.png
    108 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 0