Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 ticking sound

MikeyC

Aug 19, 2019
Florida

My 2021 Model 3 has started making a ticking/popping sound every few seconds when I first get in. It goes away after a couple minutes. I said in the video it sounds like an electrical tick from a speaker but I'm not too sure. After recording the video, I pressed down on the left side of the long speaker bar right at the base of the windshield and the first few times I pressed on it, it ticked just like the video. It could be an electrical speaker pop but it also sounds like a tick you'd get if a piece of adhesive tape is being stuck/unstuck from a surface.

Anyone else had this?

Mike

MikeyC

Aug 19, 2019
Florida
Any ideas? It's still doing it each time I get in the car. I don't know if this is a clue but my car hasn't slept for 3 days, but the ticking was there when it was sleeping as expected too. I've tried everything to get it to sleep including opening and closing all doors, frunk, and trunk, rebooting several times, powering off, and turning sentry mode off. Still won't sleep. My guess is the two symptoms are not related since the sleep apnea just started 3 days ago and I've had this ticking sound for a few weeks.

Mike

hamtonp

Sep 4, 2018
Dallas
Are you hearing the charge port ticking? Mine ticks. Others have reported as well. Not sure why but the car does go to sleep.

MikeyC

Aug 19, 2019
Florida
Have you tried putting your ear DIRECTLY on the speaker to see if it comes from it? HVAC on or off causes the sound?

I'm pretty sure it is coming from the left side of the fabric grill at the base of the windshield: where the left front speaker is in that grill. The odd thing is that sometimes pressing down on the fabric cover stops it. Sometimes it doesn't. But pressing on that having any effect at all makes me wonder if it's coming from the speaker. HVAC on/off doesn't seem to have an effect: still does it. Can't really get my head in there but I'll try listening through a piece of vacuum hose if I can.

Mike

KaptKamp

Jan 22, 2020
NJ
I have had the same exact issue in my 2021. I thought it was speaker too because of the way it sounded, but I am pretty sure that it is the dash creaking when expanding and contracting when HVAC turns on. I believe it is this because I hear it only when the car turns on and there is a large temperature change from the HVAC, either the car was cold and the heaters turn on or the car is really hot and the A/C turns on. After 5 minutes when the temperature stabilizes the clicking sound stops.
Also, I have ruled out speakers because I can encourage the clicking to happen by pressing down on the dash in front of the speaker cover, it is like it is relieving pressure as it expands/contracts.

MikeyC

Aug 19, 2019
Florida
I have had the same exact issue in my 2021. I thought it was speaker too because of the way it sounded, but I am pretty sure that it is the dash creaking when expanding and contracting when HVAC turns on. I believe it is this because I hear it only when the car turns on and there is a large temperature change from the HVAC, either the car was cold and the heaters turn on or the car is really hot and the A/C turns on. After 5 minutes when the temperature stabilizes the clicking sound stops.
Also, I have ruled out speakers because I can encourage the clicking to happen by pressing down on the dash in front of the speaker cover, it is like it is relieving pressure as it expands/contracts.

Thanks for checking in. You described pretty much the exact scenario I'm having. As much as it sounds like a speaker pop, I can influence it by pushing on different parts of the dash in the same spot you're talking about. The one time I tested it with HVAC off, it was on at first and then I turned it off. By that time it could have already started cooling things down. I'll have to retest it by turning HVAC off before I leave the car and let it sit for a while, then try again. I could pop parts of the dash and start looking around but it's not worth it: if it's just some sort of contraction if parts, I can live with it. My main concern was that a speaker pop could indicate some sort of electrical issue.

Mike

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC