Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 trunk lid limiter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when our Model 3 is parked in the garage, and not pulled up far enough, opening the trunk can bang against a metal support for the garage door. We're usually careful to pull up, but I experimented with limiting the amount of lift for my trunk lid so it stops right before it would hit it, which is not open very much.

I'm wondering if leaving it like this, and manually opening it the rest of the way would harm it in any way. There is some resistance, but not that much. And it closes fine.

Do any of you know anything about this?

On power trunks, you can reprogram how far it opens by simply manually closing or opening it to where you want it, and then pressing the button until it beeps. It takes about 2 seconds. Give it a try, and it should open to where you want it to. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
So when our Model 3 is parked in the garage, and not pulled up far enough, opening the trunk can bang against a metal support for the garage door. We're usually careful to pull up, but I experimented with limiting the amount of lift for my trunk lid so it stops right before it would hit it, which is not open very much.

I'm wondering if leaving it like this, and manually opening it the rest of the way would harm it in any way. There is some resistance, but not that much. And it closes fine.

Do any of you know anything about this?

I don't think that should harm it. The trunk is meant to be adjustable. It sounds like you already programmed the automatic lift to the lower default height you want, correct?

I don't think that should harm it. The trunk is meant to be adjustable. It sounds like you already programmed the automatic lift to the lower default height you want, correct?
Well, I programmed it to the default to open automatically, intending to open it the rest of the way manually. I'd rather manually lift it than have it accidentally bang into the garage door if not parked far enough forward. I really wish they could have made it a hatchback, although it's not that big a deal.

'Default' setting is the original full height. You don't set it to that opening. That's why it is the default setting. You set it for your custom desired height. On the other hand why don't you simply park a bit forward, as you pointed out yourself?

You wish for a Model 3 hatchback? Yes, they make one. It's called the Model Y.

The 3 opens quite high. I have a 7' garage door, but don't have the door all the way horizontal when lifted. It's probably like 3" lower than that, and the darn trunk hit the garage door when I backed up the car the same day I bought it for my wife... and she was there. Now I know what was all the racket I was hearing. Ha ha. Fortunately, nothing happened to it. I was going to look for the instructions on how to lift the height of it, but won't happen again, now that we know how it sounds. Car shouldn't move with trunk open IMO. Or it should be closed automatically (2021 here), if you select D or R. Oh well.

Finally, hatchbacks are noisier inside the cabin, so I say no thank you :). So the S also having frameless doors, and being a hatchback, I don't see how it can be quieter than a 3. And many folks say it isn't.