Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Vibrating in park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed today that while in park, my car would occasionally vibrate. It felt how a subwoofer feels and was coming from towards the rear of the vehicle. No rhyme or reason as to when it would happen, just would vibrate my entire seat.

I was in Park, my music was off, lasted a few seconds.

Anyone else experience phantom vibrations in your 3 while in park? Any idea of what it could be?

eh... few seconds is kind of normal? There is no parking brake in the Model 3. The parking brake actuates the rear brakes and clamps them down over 2 seconds or so. So you will feel that coming on from the rear of the car.

really? I don’t remember this feeling on my previous 3 or Y. I really don’t think it’s that. I mean I could be wrong but this vibration is shaking the entire vehicle, I can feel it in my seat and steering wheel

Perhaps the HVAC compressor...

this was my original thought as well, but isn’t that up front? This distinctively felt like it was in the back.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
really? I don’t remember this feeling on my previous 3 or Y. I really don’t think it’s that. I mean I could be wrong but this vibration is shaking the entire vehicle, I can feel it in my seat and steering wheel

this was my original thought as well, but isn’t that up front? This distinctively felt like it was in the back.

my model 3 makes a futuristic sound everytime it goes into park. Like a "weooohhh".
Sounds like a spaceship engaging its landing gear.

It comes from the back, the front brake isnt used.

dropped my car off at the service center. this is on the invoice.

Concern: Customer states: Car is vibrating when AC system is on and stops once AC system is turned off. Owner thinks may be heat pump related as it originated from the front of the vehicle. Can now feel the slight vibration in the steering wheel / driver seat as the vibrations last for about 1-3 seconds.

Upon inspection found that vibration is a known characteristic. Verified same vibration when compared to 2 other same model vehicles. Advise customer there is no problem with vehicle and it is operating as designed.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Pay Type: Basic

aka, your tesla should be vibrating and it’s normal. total BS

I thought you said originally vibration was from the rear? Yet you told service it was in the front?
Correct. I realized the way I was parked (on an incline) for some reason made it feel like it was coming from the rear. However after multiple other occurrences, I was able to confirm that it was coming from the front of the vehicle.

Tesla tested 3 other 2021 model 3 and confirmed they all had similar characteristics. AKA this is just the way the cars are built and there is nothing Tesla Service can really do about the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
eh... few seconds is kind of normal? There is no parking brake in the Model 3. The parking brake actuates the rear brakes and clamps them down over 2 seconds or so. So you will feel that coming on from the rear of the car.

No parking brake? If i hold my park button in for about 3 seconds... the parking brake initiates and an icon appears that the parking brake is indeed on.

Reactions: Raechris
Correct. I realized the way I was parked (on an incline) for some reason made it feel like it was coming from the rear. However after multiple other occurrences, I was able to confirm that it was coming from the front of the vehicle.

Tesla tested 3 other 2021 model 3 and confirmed they all had similar characteristics. AKA this is just the way the cars are built and there is nothing Tesla Service can really do about the issue.

Mine does this too, almost sounds like bass from a speaker (wom-wom-wom). I think it's kind of cool, like the car is breathing. ;)

Tim

My 2021 M3 does the same. I’m pretty sure it’s the heat pump. The compressor in my freezer makes similar sounds, which makes since given that they have a similar function.

My 2021 does exactly the same thing. All 2021s might be doing this, but there's no way they intended this. More like.....oh crap we built all these 2021 3s with a heat pump that will setup a resonance in the chassis from time to time. Yes.....it's like deep bass from the sub woofer, and sometimes it visibly vibrates the steering wheel, etc. When I have some time, I am going to pull out the frunk plastic to see if it's setting up some resonance with that big plastic tub. The service guy was recently out to install my homelink and we messed around with the heat pump while he had the frunk out. The pump is mounted on VERY soft bushings. You can just grab it with your hand and move it around easily. It's hard to believe it could vibrate the metal chassis. It's a REAL shame, the car is so smooth and quiet otherwise. The service guy said he had not heard of this issue, but we don't have many 2021s on the road in SW Virginia.

I hear this frequently. I assumed it was just the air source heat pump doing its thing

^ This. Just got my M3 yesterday and it's been cool here so when the heat pump came on, there was a very slight vibration. It's such a small vibration that even very low music makes it difficult to impossible to notice. Didn't think much of it as I assumed it was the heat pump doing its thing.

Mike