Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 wind/whistling noise

JayClark

Aug 6, 2019
Arizona
Picked up my 2021 M3 refresh about a week ago and noticed once driving a wind/whistling noise between 25-45mph. The noise goes away above 45-50mph, seeming to come from the passenger side. Anybody else had this?

After extensive use of painter tape, found I could eliminate the noticeable (any “car people” that drive with me comment on it, so I know it’s not just me) whistle by using a small amount of painter tape on the wind facing side of the passenger mirror where the black trim meets then white mirror cap.

This is where the mirror folds, so not quite sure how to fix this. Guess I’ll schedule a service appt to see if they have a fix.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
Picked up my 2021 M3 refresh about a week ago and noticed once driving a wind/whistling noise between 25-45mph. The noise goes away above 45-50mph, seeming to come from the passenger side. Anybody else had this?

After extensive use of painter tape, found I could eliminate the noticeable (any “car people” that drive with me comment on it, so I know it’s not just me) whistle by using a small amount of painter tape on the wind facing side of the passenger mirror where the black trim meets then white mirror cap.

This is where the mirror folds, so not quite sure how to fix this. Guess I’ll schedule a service appt to see if they have a fix.
Pics would be nice. Make sure everything is, in place, sometimes the trim is not seated fully.

aspec818

Nov 15, 2018
Bay Area

Pic of culprit area? You’re way ahead of the game if you already narrowed down the area to address

JayClark

Aug 6, 2019
Arizona
Pics would be nice. Make sure everything is, in place, sometimes the trim is not seated fully.

Pic attached. Putting tape here stopped it. I had checked the trim and nothing seemed loose.... however, took the car through a car wash this Morning, and as I was drying some drips around and underneath the passenger mirror, lo and behold some part of the lower black trim under the mirror “snapped” into place. Whistle gone.

Attachments

• 80823D4B-8A97-4A06-AE51-70DC8F641344.jpeg
    80823D4B-8A97-4A06-AE51-70DC8F641344.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 255
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC

Pemple

Sep 10, 2020
US
I had exactly the same symptoms on my 2021 M3 on pickup and discovered that part of the trim under the passenger mirror was not seated correctly. It wasn’t obvious but it clicked back into place and that was it sorted. I’d push on all parts of the mirror in case it’s the same issue...doesn’t look like it but thought I’d share.

Reactions: JayClark

JayClark

Aug 6, 2019
Arizona
I had exactly the same symptoms on my 2021 M3 on pickup and discovered that part of the trim under the passenger mirror was not seated correctly. It wasn’t obvious but it clicked back into place and that was it sorted. I’d push on all parts of the mirror in case it’s the same issue...doesn’t look like it but thought I’d share.

Yes, sounds much like my situation actually.

Reactions: Pemple

cloud240

Mar 29, 2021
WA
+1 with the same issue. I stumbled upon this thread trying to see if others are having an issue with wind noise like I was and found out that mine was loose as well.

Attachments

• ddd.JPG
    ddd.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: Moose35 and Pemple

Perscitus

Jan 29, 2019
New York
All 'within spec' guys. Welcome to Model 3/Y ownership. First 10K 2017s or a recent 2021 build with laminated front windows... wind and tire noise abounds in these cars. And there is only a limited number of things you can do to partially mitigate it. Embrace the noise.

Moose35

May 6, 2021
Martinsburg, WV
Thank you to the comments above. I picked up my Model 3 LR on Monday and the whistling noise on the drivers side was driving me crazy. Thanks to the comments above i checked the plastic trim piece below the drivers mirror and it wasn't snapped in place. Problem solved after snapping it into place.

RayK

Apr 5, 2016
San Jose, CA
Drive slower :) .

There's many (?) threads here on the subject. I believe they boil down to the following:
  • Triangular piece of plastic next to the mirror(s) can stick out from the window, causing noise. Fix is to affix the piece where it belongs.
  • Breaks (seams) between the sections of glass on the roof can cause noise. Fix is to stuff rubber tubing in the cracks. Note that this may or may not help from reading some of the threads here.
  • Windows may not be closing all the way. You could try recalibrating them using the technique outlined in the manual (basically you need to hold the window switch down and then up for several seconds each at the fully open and fully closed positions).
  • Noise attributed to wind may actually be coming from the tires (tyres). Replacing them could help. I have no idea or suggestions as to what might be quieter.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC