Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wandered in here by mistake. I think I better stay away until my Model S arrives.
LOL. In the fourth and fifth month waiting for my LR, I found this thread to be some consolation...while I didn't have a car yet, I also didn't have any of these problems! It was therapeutic.

But hang in there. I got my car a month ago and she's absolutely perfect. Zero issues of any kind with 1,200 miles on the odo. I stick around here for clues about anything I might miss (like the recent suspension wire harness--mine was fine). Manufacturing variability means for every turkey they might make, they also produce an exemplary specimen. I wish you lucky dice. (And I wish dice were not a factor.)

LOL. In the fourth and fifth month waiting for my LR, I found this thread to be some consolation...while I didn't have a car yet, I also didn't have any of these problems! It was therapeutic.

But hang in there. I got my car a month ago and she's absolutely perfect. Zero issues of any kind with 1,200 miles on the odo. I stick around here for clues about anything I might miss (like the recent suspension wire harness--mine was fine). Manufacturing variability means for every turkey they might make, they also produce an exemplary specimen. I wish you lucky dice. (And I wish dice were not a factor.)
Do you happen to have a picture of the location of the suspension wire harness you are talking about? I want to make sure mine is fine as well.

Reactions: impastu
Do you happen to have a picture of the location of the suspension wire harness you are talking about? I want to make sure mine is fine as well.
Behind top center of rear tires. They should look like this with clearance.

A76B9258-1F5C-4CE8-B7BB-B2039122BDB0.jpeg

Behind top center of rear tires. They should look like this with clearance.

View attachment 755165
Nice pictures and very helpful to all.. As I have said earlier, catching this early by reaching over the top of the tires to feel for clearance could save one a lot of problems later and should be on the checklist on delivery day. There is another picture showing the wear from the tire rubbing through the harness and in the background are more wires coming from behind an open panel that look like they can just flop around...!!! Is this how it came from the factory??!! SLOPPY! Future potential failure,
Makes one wonder, this is what is seen, what can not be seen! Floppy wires shown routed behind panel
1642081160260.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: impastu and cwanja
I contacted Tesla support to try and get someone to pay attention to our software bugs. Maybe if more people also contact them, someone will pay attention and fix the software bugs. Here's what I sent:

Can you please report and fix these annoying bugs in my model S Plaid?
  • The yoke makes a continuous buzzing sound after the first button press. It is silent until you press any button. The noise comes from the left side of the yoke, near the headlamp icon. This is likely caused by a bug in the haptic feedback motor control software.
  • The rear-view mirror fan makes hooting noise because the fan control logic is broken and it randomly turns on at full blast then turns off. It should turn on gradually and slowly, only when needed, to prevent making so much noise.
  • The software logic for the console cubby light is backwards. The light turns off when you open the lid and turns on when you close it.

Here's the chat link to send it:

If you think of other ways to send it, let me know. I'd recommend sending it to your service advisor and tweeting it at Elon.

NF 460 VIN here summarizing what I have and don’t have so far.

I don’t have the yoke buzz. I’m not sure if I’m looking at the right light, but my center console light isn’t reversed - it’s on when I open the sliding lid. My suspension wires are attached correctly and don’t rub. I’ve done a couple hundred mile drives in the cold and haven’t felt the footwell draft. Haven’t heard any noise from the mirror fan but I’ve been below 50 degrees here since delivery so maybe it’s a hot weather thing. Haven’t felt the vibration around 40mph. Haven’t heard the mirror rattle.

My passenger door seal to the window is tight so I have the door-needs-to-be-swung-fairly-hard issue.

Only other items I’ve noticed are my hood isn’t quite flush on the drivers side, but when I extend the spiral rubber spacer thats midway up the hood on that side to try to bring it flush, it’s tough to push the hood closed and feels like it’s flexing - I need to poke around a little more to see where it’s sticking or what’s out of alignment. It’s not off enough to really bother me. The frunk liner is a little uneven and was poking through the gap, but I was able to fiddle with it and get it in good shape. I did notice while troubleshooting that theres a rubbery piece of I guess firewall just sticking up out of the passenger side near the hood hinge. I’ll get a pic in the daylight but it looks like on the drivers side it’s molded around the fender contour, but on the passenger side it’s just floating there in the void behind the front right quarter panel. It’s strange.

• Informative
Reactions: LiveSai and impastu
Mine is MF440 and no recalls either.
So get this: despite my recall search yesterday yielding no recalls per my message above, I received a recall notice for the airbag specific to my VIN in the mail (yes, good ol' fashion paper mail) today.

Immediately went online to do the same exact recall search I did yesterday - sure enough, it shows up now! With a date of November 9, no less.. super weird.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 6.00.40 PM.png

Last edited:
Oh man. This is hilarious. Went to pick up my car after 30 full days in service. A 4-wheel alignment was done after my front motor mysteriously blew up in Tesla’s care. And this is my yoke when driving straight now. I dropped the car back into service immediately - didn’t make it two blocks. What’s some more days in service, eh?

😡🤦🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• 9C609E7B-DA71-4673-AB69-962164742D97.jpeg
    9C609E7B-DA71-4673-AB69-962164742D97.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 91
Nice pictures and very helpful to all.. As I have said earlier, catching this early by reaching over the top of the tires to feel for clearance could save one a lot of problems later and should be on the checklist on delivery day. There is another picture showing the wear from the tire rubbing through the harness and in the background are more wires coming from behind an open panel that look like they can just flop around...!!! Is this how it came from the factory??!! SLOPPY! Future potential failure,
Makes one wonder, this is what is seen, what can not be seen! Floppy wires shown routed behind panel
View attachment 755221
Thanks for posting this on reddit it helped me tremendously.

Reactions: impastu
Oh man. This is hilarious. Went to pick up my car after 30 full days in service. A 4-wheel alignment was done after my front motor mysteriously blew up in Tesla’s care. And this is my yoke when driving straight now. I dropped the car back into service immediately - didn’t make it two blocks. What’s some more days in service, eh?

😡🤦🏻‍♂️
That's not correct? Lol.

One day mine will move inside the service center again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220114-093912.png
    Screenshot_20220114-093912.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 63