Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so I got my 19 with all seasons and they are great. alignment fixed the yoke off centering. they said they can not do anything with bluetooth since it is working and not always causing problems. They also said there is no breeze the tech who drove the car said when hvac is on there is an air movement or current while when off there is not and hence not much they can do. I am not sure if it is my head or some form of OCD that I feel coldness in my right thigh hip area then i start sticking my hand down and yes the side of the chair and even the door itself are cold but nor sure if that is from a leak. I think a cold air leak would be more noticable. So I am trying to just ignore it.
I felt it this morning. I wonder if it was the HVAC system blowing cold air. Try diverting to only blow at your legs and crank the temp up to see if the cold air becomes warm...

Reactions: GassyBabyBlue
I felt it this morning. I wonder if it was the HVAC system blowing cold air. Try diverting to only blow at your legs and crank the temp up to see if the cold air becomes warm...
The use of an infrared temperature gun would help with finding leaks. Also an infrared camera would be nice to map these differences..
To be safe, one must do this with the aid of a passenger...

Found mold in my frunk**. Assuming there was a leak that dried.

Anyone have success with Service fixing a leak issue?

Attachments

• B9FBB3C8-38C9-43C7-B0F2-8034B695D129.jpeg
    B9FBB3C8-38C9-43C7-B0F2-8034B695D129.jpeg
    882.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
@MAHahh @SailorDave Not sure if this applies to Plaids, but for older S/X, this alert has the text "RCM2_a070_passABStg2Open" which I interpret as Passenger Airbag Stage 2 Open. Note that this is only if your alert is specifically a070, which you will only know from tapping on the alert icon or maybe from the notifications screen.

Airbags have a second stage squib (igniter) that can fire to vary the duration and strength of airbag inflation in a collision. For some reason (likely a loose/disconnected wire), the Restraint Control Module does not think there is a valid circuit for firing that second stage igniter. It could be an issue in the airbag, in the restraint control module, or anywhere in between.

If you carry passengers, this is a potentially serious safety issue. If not, you should still be fine to drive.

Again, this is for older S/X, but I think it applies to Plaid as well.
My error code is RCM2_a064. Front passanger safety restraint system fault.
Got my car back from service... as promised, an update: 1) they replaced the driver air bag, per the recall, so (for those others who got the recall) the parts are available. 2) they "fixed" the safety restraint system error, again, by doing the same fix as 2 months ago (reseating a connector, and putting electrical stability fluid on the pins). I don't have a lot of faith that it's a permanent fix this time, but fingers are crossed. Good luck @SailorDave, with your error with a different (but similar) code! 3) I also had the wiring harness very close to the inner side of a rear tire (maybe 3/8" of clearance). They re-routed the wires, away from the tire. All the above were done under warranty - that's good news!

P.S.: Is "electrical stability fluid" a thing? Sounds like blinker fluid... 😀

Got my car back from service... as promised, an update: 1) they replaced the driver air bag, per the recall, so (for those others who got the recall) the parts are available. 2) they "fixed" the safety restraint system error, again, by doing the same fix as 2 months ago (reseating a connector, and putting electrical stability fluid on the pins). I don't have a lot of faith that it's a permanent fix this time, but fingers are crossed. Good luck @SailorDave, with your error with a different (but similar) code! 3) I also had the wiring harness very close to the inner side of a rear tire (maybe 3/8" of clearance). They re-routed the wires, away from the tire. All the above were done under warranty - that's good news!

Does your replacement airbag have the worm/vein?

Yeah, so that basically confirms the wiring harness issue. It would also apply to RCM2_a064, as that is just like your error (open circuit), just for the stage 1 squib instead of stage 2. A little dangerous, since the airbag might not go off unless stage 2 is activated.

"Electrical stability fluid" is probably their dumbed down term for dieletric grease which helps protect electrical connections from corrosion/moisture, if properly applied.

In summary, anyone with RCM2_a064 or RCM2_a070 has an open circuit somewhere for their passenger airbag. It sounds like a wiring harness routing issue in some models, but could be an issue inside the airbag. Tesla is likely to replace the airbag and reroute the harness, if necessary.

First, thanks to all who post photos and detail issues here. There is great value to what you add on this forum. I do not have my LR yet, now pushed back to April - May, but I am very concerned of wire harness issues based just on the information gleaned from this great forum. The consistent issues are wire connectors, harness routing and retention. Not only should wires be bundled between connection points, this bundle needs to be retained frequently along it's routing and insulated from rubbing against any hard edge. Sounds like common sense for any car let alone an electric car? Let alone a six figure car?
If cars never moved, there would be no concern about wires. But they move, vibrate at all kinds of frequencies and are impacted by debris if not protected. My problem is I am retired industrial maintenance mechanic and flew my self modified airplane so I am a cursed pessimistic and therefore see problems with things. I have installed new manufacturing equipment that failed because things were not very well thought out at the factory. Some were not engineered very well and needed modified. Many issues were because of wires rubbing or breaking unseen inside their insulation at their connectors because of movement. Wires have mass and therefore have a potential of inertia in proportion to their mass if not retained. I am willing to lay money down that the noises reported here, heard while driving your nice quiet cars, are unretained wire harnesses flopping around behind the dash or resonating from elsewhere. Copper is a wonderful conductor, but will work harden over time if allowed to move between retention points, usually breaking just before a retention point.
So, I would love to watch a Tesla being built in detail at the factory as I could spend a week there observing and talking to their management team about what I see. I would do this for free, I have time and interest..
On second thought, I probably would get arrested..
Thanks for reading.

First, thanks to all who post photos and detail issues here. There is great value to what you add on this forum. I do not have my LR yet, now pushed back to April - May, but I am very concerned of wire harness issues based just on the information gleaned from this great forum. The consistent issues are wire connectors, harness routing and retention. Not only should wires be bundled between connection points, this bundle needs to be retained frequently along it's routing and insulated from rubbing against any hard edge. Sounds like common sense for any car let alone an electric car? Let alone a six figure car?
If cars never moved, there would be no concern about wires. But they move, vibrate at all kinds of frequencies and are impacted by debris if not protected. My problem is I am retired industrial maintenance mechanic and flew my self modified airplane so I am a cursed pessimistic and therefore see problems with things. I have installed new manufacturing equipment that failed because things were not very well thought out at the factory. Some were not engineered very well and needed modified. Many issues were because of wires rubbing or breaking unseen inside their insulation at their connectors because of movement. Wires have mass and therefore have a potential of inertia in proportion to their mass if not retained. I am willing to lay money down that the noises reported here, heard while driving your nice quiet cars, are unretained wire harnesses flopping around behind the dash or resonating from elsewhere. Copper is a wonderful conductor, but will work harden over time if allowed to move between retention points, usually breaking just before a retention point.
So, I would love to watch a Tesla being built in detail at the factory as I could spend a week there observing and talking to their management team about what I see. I would do this for free, I have time and interest..
On second thought, I probably would get arrested..
Thanks for reading.
Yup. Seems to be a common problem. I think I have a loose connection on my amplifier because I get pops from the speakers occasionally when going over bumps.

Reactions: impastu
@Filter Do you have the weird patterns in white text on your screen? Mine seems more noticeable on the top and sides of the screen. Somehow related to the faded headlight icon too? Did they forget to install something behind the screen? It's almost like the screen is transparent.
View attachment 751897

I was wondering if anyone else would notice this. Here's something interesting. If you move your head from side to side, you will see that the dots are not on the same physical layer as the LCD screen. It's as if they're between the backlight and the pixel panel itself. The dots are only visible on the speed limit display and in one other display that is sometimes seen on the left hand area.

I was wondering if anyone else would notice this. Here's something interesting. If you move your head from side to side, you will see that the dots are not on the same physical layer as the LCD screen. It's as if they're between the backlight and the pixel panel itself. The dots are only visible on the speed limit display and in one other display that is sometimes seen on the left hand area.
Yup. I've noticed that. I'm convinced those are patterns behind the screen. Pretty sure they forgot to install the diffuser behind the screen.

I've posted this in its own thread but haven't gotten any information so I'm cross posting here.

Does anyone know what is behind this grill beneath the touchscreen? In my Refresh S, the only thing this appears to be good for is making an annoying buzzing sound (50 dB!) Underneath, there is some kind of device hooked up with a connector and wires, but I do not know its function, nor can I imagine its function. I've covered it up for now and I am very tempted to disconnect whatever the thing is that's in there.

photo_2022-01-14_00-49-40.jpg

Reactions: impastu
Does anyone know what is behind this grill beneath the touchscreen? In my Refresh S, the only thing this appears to be good for is making an annoying buzzing sound (50 dB!) Underneath, there is some kind of device hooked up with a connector and wires, but I do not know its function, nor can I imagine its function. I've covered it up for now and I am very tempted to disconnect whatever the thing is that's in there.
Most likely a temperature/humidity sensor. (They put a fan on it to keep air flow over it even when you don't have the HVAC fan running.)

Not shown on the parts diagram:

*CABIN TEMPERATURE SENSOR, FAN DRIVEN1494715-00-COver-the-Counter(No VIN)

I just went out to my car (2022 S). I can hear a slight noise if my ear is up to the panel. From more than a foot away, I don't hear anything. This is with the music off and HVAC off. If you can hear it while sitting, it may be something is making more noise than it should. Likely worth asking service about it.

Most likely a temperature/humidity sensor. (They put a fan on it to keep air flow over it even when you don't have the HVAC fan running.)

Not shown on the parts diagram:

*CABIN TEMPERATURE SENSOR, FAN DRIVEN1494715-00-COver-the-Counter(No VIN)
That doesn't seem like a great spot for a temperature sensor. All the heat from the wireless phone charger seems likely to throw off the readings....

Reactions: tbaud and impastu
Just wanted to share issues I found on mine. Just dropped off for service today.
  1. Vehicle does not have all season tires. I confirmed during delivery and was told Tesla will make this right if they are not all seasons. Please swap to all season tires.
    25A05EE2-BB24-430B-9D4A-7CE799834E8F.jpeg
  2. Center Console Light reversed (On when closed and off when opened).
  3. Trim piece under screen loose and won't stay on.
    34F8F1C6-94E0-4C96-A6B6-87DEB264DE65.jpeg
  4. Rear center console/seat hard to fold down. Seems caught and a little forced to get it to fold.
  5. Black broken plastic piece sticking out of this driver side door hole. Attempted to pull it out but it slips back it the door.
    00910D13-F1A2-4D83-86DB-0B23B0776CB5.jpeg

Does your replacement airbag have the worm/vein?
No change to the worm - which in my case is pretty minor, luckily. It looks like they put the same cover back on (although I can't prove it, but the worm looks identical to me). But, that would imply the worm is actually in the cover, and not something underneath, pushing through. Or, an incredible coincidence that both air bags had the same "texture"?

No change to the worm - which in my case is pretty minor, luckily. It looks like they put the same cover back on (although I can't prove it, but the worm looks identical to me). But, that would imply the worm is actually in the cover, and not something underneath, pushing through. Or, an incredible coincidence that both air bags had the same "texture"?
I highly doubt the service centers are taking the airbag assembly apart and replacing the defective/poorly design part and keeping the original cover. I think they're just replacing the entire assembly and sending the old ones back for refactoring.