Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having these issues? hopefully all software fixes but still present on 2021.36.

1. sound system still bad after latest update: no sub and no rear speakers
2. Auto headlights suck bad, they constantly blind people in front of me and flash at wrong times. my 2014 auto headlights were much better
3. microphone not working (for phone calls, for voice recognition, anything)
4. beeping from car when parked in garage
I have the Same issue with my new Model S Plaid 2021. Did you find a solution?

I heard it for the first time just now, only seemed to do it when I put my foot to the floor though. I have an appointment, just need to wait 2.5 weeks :/
Kind of sounds like the half shaft issue the older X had. I have an X and they replaced the half shaft on one side, but other side needs replacement now. A tech told me the new S/X have upgraded half shafts. In the X, the problem was because the angle they are attached is a little too high, and under acceleration when the car leans back, it wears them down.
Interested to see what the issue is with yours.

Reactions: scrapps
Kind of sounds like the half shaft issue the older X had. I have an X and they replaced the half shaft on one side, but other side needs replacement now. A tech told me the new S/X have upgraded half shafts. In the X, the problem was because the angle they are attached is a little too high, and under acceleration when the car leans back, it wears them down.
Interested to see what the issue is with yours.
This is the reason why the most efficient transfer of torque occurs when the wheel becomes the motor, thereby eliminating the universal or constant velocity joint and it's unintended orbital gyrations under load, influenced by the dynamics of suspension travel...

This is the reason why the most efficient transfer of torque occurs when the wheel becomes the motor, thereby eliminating the universal or constant velocity joint and it's unintended orbital gyrations under load, influenced by the dynamics of suspension travel...
But then you've got a lot of unsprung weight on the wheel, so not without disadvantages.

Updating. About 1200 miles.
Recent issues: the rear right rattle coming from the rear back seat hatch. Confirmed it by lowering rear seats down and rattle went away. Other threads recommended using some tape in the harness or hook will try that later or simply get used to it. I sometimes get unexplained rattles or squeaks from front dash.
When on insane and accelerate really hard I started getting the famous shudder from the half shaft Thing. Only when on insane. Hard accelerating on sport didn’t produce it. I am not planning on addressing that yet

• Informative
Reactions: planetary
I just found a new issue (for my car at least). Had anyone heard this rattle (I think that's the best description) before that seems to be coming from the drive train under hard acceleration?

Yes the famous hard acceleration shudder. A well known curse associated with model x and s adjustable air suspension and gets fixed with replacing half shafts but still after replacing them it could reoccur. Heard of people having to replace them more than once. Seems a design defect where suspension especially when at higher setting can not put up with the torque and acceleration. I just recently started getting it on my one month old MSLR however only when hard accelerating on insane mode. Tried to replicate on sport but didn’t get it. Can’t explain why. I heard of a service bulletin that came out may last year to address the issue and it was assumed tesla figured out the issue and will fix it with the refreshed x and s however it seems not. I am personally just going to ignore it till it gets worse and annoying. Sick and tired of going to the SC.

Reactions: impastu and scrapps
I predict that eventually most EV's will utilize pancake wheel motors because there are too many advantages over this current design of using drive shafts. Yes, there is a higher rotational mass, but when you put high torque values through shafts that are being angled with a suspension movement, there will be problems. Perhaps this is why Tesla discussed wheel motors being used in the Cyber truck... Hmmmm.

Reactions: impastu
Anyone has this kind of inverter high-pitched noise? It is uncomfortable and constantly there after 40 mph...
I had bring it to the service center and got the answer said it is pretty normal for the plaid had the louder sound than the previous Model S

I had this exact sound on a new model y and it drove me bonkers. If you search these forums you will find it’s not uncommon. However, it’s not normal as not all Teslas have the same degree of whine. I would just be persistent with your service center.

I predict that eventually most EV's will utilize pancake wheel motors because there are too many advantages over this current design of using drive shafts. Yes, there is a higher rotational mass, but when you put high torque values through shafts that are being angled with a suspension movement, there will be problems. Perhaps this is why Tesla discussed wheel motors being used in the Cyber truck... Hmmmm.
Seems unlikely. In the e-bike world, even though we have plenty of hub motors, they generally aren't used for higher performance bikes because they are extremely heavy and add lots of unsprung weight. Also, cooling them is difficult. Plus, you don't get enough torque from them. In the plaid, the motors have a ~9:1 gear reduction to gain more torque. The wheel motors would be even heavier than the current rear drive motors because you'd need thicker windings to handle more current to produce the same torque. Probably 100 lbs or more per wheel.

Seems unlikely. In the e-bike world, even though we have plenty of hub motors, they generally aren't used for higher performance bikes because they are extremely heavy and add lots of unsprung weight. Also, cooling them is difficult. Plus, you don't get enough torque from them. In the plaid, the motors have a ~9:1 gear reduction to gain more torque. The wheel motors would be even heavier than the current rear drive motors because you'd need thicker windings to handle more current to produce the same torque. Probably 100 lbs or more per wheel.
Rimac seems to have no trouble with drive shafts handling 1800 horse power, as far as we know. Perhaps Tesla needs to eliminate future problems that piss off their customers by doing something. What is happening currently should not happen to six figure cars. Makes me wonder if anyone from Tesla is analyzing all these consistent issues.