Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, which ones did you get? Was on the fence whether to replace them or just put a decal over them.

Here are the photos promised. Front is really good quality, fit was perfect. Rear was a plastic replacement, quality looks good, but the curve wasn’t perfect, so the bottom of the “T” isn’t completely flat against the paint, though not very noticeable.

I also ordered a carbon fiber rear emblem from eBay, but haven't received it yet. Will update if I install it.

Two weeks into having our Plaid and overall impressed. The delivery of car was less than ideal but I am willing to eat that as a result of my lack of paitence to pickup the car and did so right in the rush of the hold being dropped. A list of small things like clear plastic still on all door handles etc.

We did have two delivery issues noted for future repairs.
1) a nice scratch with some yellow paint picked up on bottom of front bumper (plaid launch joyride by techs gone wrong?)

2) small dents on top of black dashboard mesh as if a tool was dropped or it was forced during install

After spending two weeks with the car we noticed the following issues

A) Trying to load the manual always crashes the screen. A way to bring this up from the phone would be awesome. Can you load it from a website or something?

B) The "leather" on yoke is already peeling at the top folds. 😭😱😬🤯 See pictures comparing left side of yoke to right. I guess they were a bit lax with glue. Will be interested to see how this is fixed. We dont have "wormie" currently so I dont want to inherit one from getting this fixed.

C) The audio quality is horrendous in weird ways. I am not an audiophile by any means but the quality when playing music makes you wonder this is "premium sound"? Ironically the navigation voice sounds amazing. For music it seems like only two speakers are used or something. My phone speakers in my pocket sounds better. The basic sound config menu for bass/fade/ etc are all centered. Is there a more advanced menu for finer grain speaker control? Any ideas on a method to test and note music sound quality to compare to other cars to see if we have an issue?

D) We also noticed front screen heat and crash/reboots when supercharging.

Attachments

• PXL_20210805_113200209.jpg
    PXL_20210805_113200209.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 167
  • PXL_20210805_113208822.jpg
    PXL_20210805_113208822.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 139
  • PXL_20210805_113220263.jpg
    PXL_20210805_113220263.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: GroovaEV
I thought my S LR was perfect until a bit of trim loosened up above the wireless charging area. Taking it in to see if it can be fixed. I may have speaker issue although the sound with music is excellent but not sure all the speakers work. pgold

Two weeks into having our Plaid and overall impressed. The delivery of car was less than ideal but I am willing to eat that as a result of my lack of paitence to pickup the car and did so right in the rush of the hold being dropped. A list of small things like clear plastic still on all door handles etc.

We did have two delivery issues noted for future repairs.
1) a nice scratch with some yellow paint picked up on bottom of front bumper (plaid launch joyride by techs gone wrong?)

2) small dents on top of black dashboard mesh as if a tool was dropped or it was forced during install

After spending two weeks with the car we noticed the following issues

A) Trying to load the manual always crashes the screen. A way to bring this up from the phone would be awesome. Can you load it from a website or something?

B) The "leather" on yoke is already peeling at the top folds. 😭😱😬🤯 See pictures comparing left side of yoke to right. I guess they were a bit lax with glue. Will be interested to see how this is fixed. We dont have "wormie" currently so I dont want to inherit one from getting this fixed.

C) The audio quality is horrendous in weird ways. I am not an audiophile by any means but the quality when playing music makes you wonder this is "premium sound"? Ironically the navigation voice sounds amazing. For music it seems like only two speakers are used or something. My phone speakers in my pocket sounds better. The basic sound config menu for bass/fade/ etc are all centered. Is there a more advanced menu for finer grain speaker control? Any ideas on a method to test and note music sound quality to compare to other cars to see if we have an issue?

D) We also noticed front screen heat and crash/reboots when supercharging.
I've got the same issue on my yoke...Pealing up from the back, same side.

Reactions: cwanja
I've got the same issue on my yoke...Pealing up from the back, same side.
The peeling yoke was pretty common. Had a friend let me drive theirs in July and he had the same issue. He had an EoQ June delivery. I would suspect it is a batch. Personally, would take a worm over peeling leather. I also have no car, so what do I know hah.

Reactions: NickFie
I hit my first real issue today. Previously my console door broke, but I suspect I know who did that so I don’t really count it.

But my current issue is that I have no visualization on the driver display and therefore no autopilot or cruise control. This happened yesterday and I have no clue why. I figured with a reset it would come back, but it has not.

I’ve been in contact with service and they’re checking the cars logs to see if they can identify what’s going on. More will be revealed probably tomorrow.
Well, last night my car worked perfectly again. I don’t know if Tesla did some remotely or if it just magically began working again. Although I suspect Tesla did something because they had been quiet, I sent them a gentle reminder, and then the car worked. I asked service if they did something but have not heard back yet.
Just glad the car is working properly again. I’m totally spoiled by AP.

Unfortunately, most of the source options are compressed and quality can be variable from song-to-song. The best test is to load some music up on a USB stick and listen to that. Currently, FLAC is not supported, but some high quality (high bit rate) MP4s versions of music you are familiar with will work.

UPDATE/CLARIFICATION: I expect FLAC to be supported on Palladium models as it is supported on other cars. Currently, the car will see the FLAC files on the USB stick, but throws a file read error when trying to play the file--I assume this will get fixed in the future.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, most of the source options are compressed and quality can be variable from song-to-song. The best test is to load some music up on a USB stick and listen to that. Currently, FLAC is not supported, but some high quality (high bit rate) MP4s versions of music you are familiar with will work.

FLAC is indeed supported. I've got a drive loaded up with 24/96 FLAC files and they play fine?

After 2 days in service, the software issues have been resolved. To recap, I had no internet in the car, any feature/navigation/streaming, app connectivity, nothing worked. Apparently they "reconnected" the car to Tesla servers and now working. I also couldn't add 1 key fob or Homelinks, all that works now. They also replaced 1 door handle that was scratched from misalignment. Outstanding is replace the rear center console as it won't stay up, doesn't lock.

Final complaint is that the rear screen is pretty much useless to me without headphone pairing. Last thing I want is to hear YouTube in the entire car while driving.

Oh, cool, they must have fixed that in one of those generic bug fix releases--tested when I first got the car and it would read but not play FLAC. Thanks.
Just tested and still not reading FLAC files for me. @Marcust99 - it looks like you have not taken delivery on your Plaid yet?

I should have been more clear in my original response: FLAC is probably supposed to be supported as it is in other models, but the car currently does not play the files (kicks back a read error). So, if someone wants to exercise their audio system right now, the only option is MP4.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Just tested and still not reading FLAC files for me. @Marcust99 - it looks like you have not taken delivery on your Plaid yet?

I should have been more clear in my original response: FLAC is probably supposed to be supported as it is in other models, but the car currently does not play the files (kicks back a read error). So, if someone wants to exercise their audio system right now, the only option is MP4.
I believe Apple uses mp4 are just a file format, but there could be multiple codecs with the same file format, including a lossless codec. Do you know if Tesla supports Apple’s lossless codec?

Did you happen to try WAV files? Maybe it's a compression thing (wishful thinking)? I'm guessing so if you're saying it only supports MP4s.
Seeing your earlier posts that FLAC isn't supported, I've been to lazy to even try any hi def music.

Sorry..I meant to say I can play FLAC in my '21 MYP but don't have my MS yet -)

Reactions: omarsultan
Did you happen to try WAV files? Maybe it's a compression thing (wishful thinking)? I'm guessing so if you're saying it only supports MP4s.
Seeing your earlier posts that FLAC isn't supported, I've been to lazy to even try any hi def music.
I will check WAV--I have some handy. It should play FLAC as other models do, think there is some bug related to reading the files (sorry, should have been clearer in my earlier post)

Reactions: uthatcher