Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, is there any time limit or deadline on when you can have the SC fix door/trunk misalignments or is it included in the length of the 8 year warranty?

Have been stalling for a bit getting some things fixed because I don’t know how long they would take to do.

Reactions: impastu
Has anyone had a problem with car not shutting off after exiting. More than 50% of the time either the media, a/c, touchscreen and side mirrors won’t shut down and the doors don’t lock. Eventually between 10-30 minutes everything shuts off. But after I get out and open and close the door again most of the time everything will shut off and lock. Taking it in on Wednesday. They think it is the seat sensor.

Has anyone had a problem with car not shutting off after exiting. More than 50% of the time either the media, a/c, touchscreen and side mirrors won’t shut down and the doors don’t lock. Eventually between 10-30 minutes everything shuts off. But after I get out and open and close the door again most of the time everything will shut off and lock. Taking it in on Wednesday. They think it is the seat sensor.
@Gluber A common problem preventing the car from sleeping is having either a key or fob in or nearby the car. Also, check to make sure sentry mode is turned off at home.

@Gluber A common problem preventing the car from sleeping is having either a key or fob in or nearby the car. Also, check to make sure sentry mode is turned off at home.
Thanks. I have sentry excluded at home and this happens anywhere I am. Not just at home. I’ve tried walking far away from the car with my phone key and I dont leave the fob or card near the car. I’ve sent in numerous time stamped occasions of this happening documenting each time it happens Service has looked at them and said they think it’s the seat sensor which make sense since it immediately shuts off after I get out and open and shut the door a second time. However I did just go out and shut off the sentry just to see if that helps tomorrow. Thanks again for your comments. Hopefully this will not be an ongoing problem.

Thanks. I have sentry excluded at home and this happens anywhere I am. Not just at home. I’ve tried walking far away from the car with my phone key and I dont leave the fob or card near the car. I’ve sent in numerous time stamped occasions of this happening documenting each time it happens Service has looked at them and said they think it’s the seat sensor which make sense since it immediately shuts off after I get out and open and shut the door a second time. However I did just go out and shut off the sentry just to see if that helps tomorrow. Thanks again for your comments. Hopefully this will not be an ongoing problem.
Good luck, and please let us all know what finally fixes the behavior!

I visited my local service center a few days ago, someone had their Plaid in for this exact issue. Unsure if it as fixed. Nice guy though.

What are you all seeing for range with the Model S Plaid? I’m seeing pretty terrible range in mine (21” wheels), at least if we go via the battery percentage drop.

e.g. I left the house at 93% (set to 90 but it charged to 93% because….buggy software or whatever). It dropped to 59% as I arrived home (34% used, therefore). After just 69 miles of driving like a grandma! Average over that 69 miles is 305Wh. And only 21kWh used. If 34% battery is 21kWh, the math doesn’t make sense that this is a 100kWh battery… I was parked with sentry on for about 3 hours before coming home.

Thoughts/data, anyone? If we go by kWh used I’m on target for ~340 miles for a full battery. Via the percentage display I’m only on target for a little over 200 miles. Something is not right here…

Reactions: jebinc and impastu
What are you all seeing for range with the Model S Plaid? I’m seeing pretty terrible range in mine (21” wheels), at least if we go via the battery percentage drop.

e.g. I left the house at 93% (set to 90 but it charged to 93% because….buggy software or whatever). It dropped to 59% as I arrived home (34% used, therefore). After just 69 miles of driving like a grandma! Average over that 69 miles is 305Wh. And only 21kWh used. If 34% battery is 21kWh, the math doesn’t make sense that this is a 100kWh battery… I was parked with sentry on for about 3 hours before coming home.

Thoughts/data, anyone? If we go by kWh used I’m on target for ~340 miles for a full battery. Via the percentage display I’m only on target for a little over 200 miles. Something is not right here…
Do we know that it's a 100kWh battery?

@WilliamG I noticed a similar rapid drop of SoC, even when driving mildly at < 300Wh rates. :mad: I'm on the same firmware as you, and am hopeful it's just a software glitch. Will be taking a 180 road trip this week and will be better able to assess this anomaly. Others?

I visited my local service center a few days ago, someone had their Plaid in for this exact issue. Unsure if it as fixed. Nice guy though.
That could be very helpful to my SC. Would you mind telling me which SC in NJ you went to, what day it was and possibly the color of the gentleman’s plaid. Even though they suspect it’s a sensor problem they might be able to learn more from your SC. I would appreciate that very much.

@impastu There are reports that the battery ranges between 90kWh and 120kWh. Seriously, that's what I've seen/read being reported!
I believe that Tesla will be increasingly evasive about battery capacity and focus on stipulated range to preserve scarce battery supply chain and rely on superior battery design and management software (don’t care to debate how superior…but all comparisons I’ve seen appear to give Tesla a substantial lead on battery efficiency).

Hey guys, is there any time limit or deadline on when you can have the SC fix door/trunk misalignments or is it included in the length of the 8 year warranty?

Have been stalling for a bit getting some things fixed because I don’t know how long they would take to do.
I believe those kind of fixes are supposed to be reported with the first 100 miles. You get some leeway if you live a long distance from the delivery location.