Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just charged my 21" Plaid to full to see what's up. It went to 95%.... and then just went straight to 100% without charging anything...! I've apparently lost 10% range given 348 is rated, and 318 is what is reported. No idea if this is a software issue or what's going on. Not to mention my ACTUAL range is close to about 220 miles driving like a grandma.
The nerfings have already begun. That didn't take long.

Based on these issues… does anyone have buyer’s remorse? As someone with a pending order, this thread has made me incredibly nervous. I’ve been driving a 3 around recently, and love it. Does this car have more issues than a 3?

Should I … *shudder* order a 3 instead?
MS number seven I think and absolutely without doubt the very best one yet (and I have a pending AC problem that needs resolution). This is the first time I have taken delivery of a very early car so I expect I will experience some of Tesla's early teething problems but I would not have done anything different.

Based on these issues… does anyone have buyer’s remorse? As someone with a pending order, this thread has made me incredibly nervous. I’ve been driving a 3 around recently, and love it. Does this car have more issues than a 3?

Not at all. Love this car. All these issues are mostly cosmetic (for me at least). No issues for me that I know of with software (except for maybe owners manual crashing when opening), driving, etc so far.

I curse this board at times for making me find new (small) issues with my car from time to time...but yet I keep coming back here for more lol.

I have been having horrific issues with my 2021 S Long Range alignment. It started with "squirrely" control on high speed acceleration and launches, so I took it in to be fixed. There was an issue with a loose bolt and something with the "toe". But then my car starting pulling to the right after they "fixed" it. (It never did it before they "fixed" the other issue.) They have aligned it three times, then reversed the wheels. Now my car pulls to the left and is getting worse. Steering wheel is now cocked to the right when I am driving straight. I am bringing it to a different service center because clearly the technicians at the first one didn't know what they were doing. However there are no service appointments for over two weeks at the new center and I have to drive like the photo below. Very uncomfortable to drive a yoke one handed with the pulling as well. Does anybody have any contact at Tesla that is next level management for service complaints? Having a brand new $100K car that I waited 9 months for, and dealing with this is frustrating, a waste of time and disconcerting that they do not believe this is a priority coming back the 4th time.

Attachments

• 20210825_165702.jpg
    20210825_165702.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210825_165842_2.jpg
    20210825_165842_2.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 87
Rear toe is critical to stability under acceleration.
In short, the tire is pushing the car forward through the hub. The hub must be held so that it can take all that load without moving too much. The link in the rear of the car that points the hub (ie TOE) is in the front of the hub. IF the hub moves forward, the toe link (in front of the hub) turns the hub outward. If you run too little toe in on the rear or there is too much fore/aft play in the hub, the back of the car will literally steer around the corner :0

I suggest you take it to a competent alignment shop not related to Tesla and ask that they (1) give you a print out of the current alignment and (2) look for anything that might be moving. I know its a pain to go outside Tesla for warranty stuff but it might be worth $100 or so to get an independent answer.

Allowing an independent shop to make any changes would be a different matter as that might relieve Tesla of some responsibility.

I have been having horrific issues with my 2021 S Long Range alignment. It started with "squirrely" control on high speed acceleration and launches, so I took it in to be fixed. There was an issue with a loose bolt and something with the "toe". But then my car starting pulling to the right after they "fixed" it. (It never did it before they "fixed" the other issue.) They have aligned it three times, then reversed the wheels. Now my car pulls to the left and is getting worse. Steering wheel is now cocked to the right when I am driving straight. I am bringing it to a different service center because clearly the technicians at the first one didn't know what they were doing. However there are no service appointments for over two weeks at the new center and I have to drive like the photo below. Very uncomfortable to drive a yoke one handed with the pulling as well. Does anybody have any contact at Tesla that is next level management for service complaints? Having a brand new $100K car that I waited 9 months for, and dealing with this is frustrating, a waste of time and disconcerting that they do not believe this is a priority coming back the 4th time.
@brunla Does your state have a Lemon law? Here in WA, if the same issue is not resolved after three attempts, the law requires they buy the "Lemon" back at full purchase price (i.e., full refund).

Reactions: impastu and MattMac

I had same concerns, have a Dec 2019 M3 LR, great car. Rear passenger door misaligned and fixed at SC.
Ordered a MS LR in April, EDD Sept 18 to 30. Also thought abt canceling after reading this thread. I estimate abt 2 to 3 dozen folks have issues (based on this thread) out of several K deliveries so it's still low. Decided to stick with it. Out of the 5 new cars I have purchased in my life, I never check build quality EVER on 4 of them. My M3 was the only one I checked during delivery because of reports of manufacturing defects. So the other cars may have had them but never even crossed my mind to check. I suspect I am not alone.

Reactions: impastu and MAHahh
I have been having horrific issues with my 2021 S Long Range ... Does anybody have any contact at Tesla that is next level management for service complaints? Having a brand new $100K car that I waited 9 months for, and dealing with this is frustrating, a waste of time and disconcerting that they do not believe this is a priority coming back the 4th time.
That sucks but it's 100% normal for Tesla operations. Good luck but buying any new-ish model from them you are 100% guaranteed to have issues.

I’ve tried numerous times to get park assist to activate. Closer/Farther from parked car, as slow as 2 miles an hour, passed by parked vehicle fully, signal, no signal. Any tips?
It’s not available quite yet on new Model S (it was for a short time for some early access peeps). Hopefully software update soon to reenable it.

I have an issue where the HVAC fan (I think) is running hours after the car has been parked (and not plugged in). The fan noise is coming from the rear edge of the hood by the front wind screen. I also have high vampire drain.

Does anyone else have this? Is it tied to a SW revision level?
Yeah, I have seen the same thing - hard to tell if it is normal or not.

Reactions: impastu and TNGuy99
Do you or @lolachampcar enable the drag strip mode? Could it be that the car is keeping the battery preconditioned for launches? Per the manual, drag strip mode stays enabled for three hours before timing out.
It's been a few weeks since I have done any launches--I'll walk into the garage and the fan will be running--low speed and pretty quiet.