Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No issues for me at delivery - none. Did see battery overcharging (92% with 90% requested) and range irregularities. Car sat in the garage, plugged in, drawing 5-8 amps for two days but showed no charging - curious - never saw this with my P85 or 100D. 32.5 loaded yesterday. Overcharging and displayed range irregularities disappeared - battery balancing complete? 32.5? Don't know. Anyway, no more battery or displayed range issues, no more unexplained power draw.

Glass distortion: very minor on bottom of rear glass - not unique to Tesla - not a new issue ('71 Mustang fastback, older Barracudas, etc). Would never have noticed it outside this forum.

Yoke: before delivery, thought I would be neutral. Hated it for first 150 miles. Took a 416 mile trip the day after delivery. After many frustrating miles, I changed my hand position from top of yoke to bottom - everything changed. No more false turn signals, horn, or washer activation. Highway nags disappeared, actually surprisingly comfortable. Minor adjustment on my part, major change in car actions and my driving satisfaction.

Permanent Yoke deficiency: yoke won't accommodate the raised "Farmer Finger" when greeting oncoming drivers in rural areas.

Purchase/delivery lack of comms from Tesla: Commissioned sales people have a strong incentive to communicate with the customer and ensure satisfaction after delivery. AFAIK, there is no one person at Tesla that has ANY direct incentive to keep the customer informed or happy. We don't get a sales pitch for undercoating, nitrogen-filled tires, or extended warranty, but we also don't get the comms we have been programmed to expect. Don't expect Tesla to contact you proactively - not going to happen. Dynamic (ha) delivery info on your account page doesn't help.

It may be beneficial to new owners and to those awaiting delivery to be a little more patient and a little more flexible.
In my experience, Tesla will sooner or later take care of the issues that crop up. Some sooner, some later.

Love the car - like Christmas with every drive. Well worth the wait and frustrations - for me anyway.

Just my 2 cent opinion - YMMV.

Sorry for the long post.

Would be curious how many deliveries are made with Model S with 0 issues. Should have a poll on that, as would really tilt new Tesla people like me from getting one. Don’t need to buy a car to worry about issues right away. :)
Obvious, but just have to remember everyone here is the more passionate owners.
My wife suggests I stop reading this thread and enjoy the car as long as there are no safety issues.
Taking the car to SC today and wife misses being able to drive our only car.
She wants an X Plaid, but Im waiting a bit longer before placing an order.
This time, I'll be glad to wait as not to get one of the first batches.

Obvious, but just have to remember everyone here is the more passionate owners.
My wife suggests I stop reading this thread and enjoy the car as long as there are no safety issues.
Taking the car to SC today and wife misses being able to drive our only car.
She wants an X Plaid, but Im waiting a bit longer before placing an order.
This time, I'll be glad to wait as not to get one of the first batches.
Bolded what we lose sight of here on the forums. We feed off each others' OCD and makes us see problems we didn't really have a problem with before, and with new cars, people tend to be extra vulnerable to getting stressed out by what are really just small issues. I've gone through my five stages of grief at this point and just see the car as what it is... just a car, an insignificant material possession we pick up along the way in this odyssey of life. We didn't spend $100K+ on this car for it to cause us more stress than just picking up a Toyota Camry.

My car was flawless at delivery (but that was a special case). Since then, 3 minor issues showed up, but I the scheme of things, they are minor and the car remains amazing. I'd hate to see folks forgo what is a truly incredible vehicle because of the traffic on this thread.

BTW, outside of the first car I bought (Acura Integra), I have never received a "flawless" car and the includes MB, BMW and Lexus.

I saved the location of my home to auto fold mirrors in when arriving. I no longer wish to have this happen. It does not appear that there is an option to stop the auto fold on location feature once you've enabled it for a location. Am I missing something?

Reactions: impastu
I saved the location of my home to auto fold mirrors in when arriving. I no longer wish to have this happen. It does not appear that there is an option to stop the auto fold on location feature once you've enabled it for a location. Am I missing something?
If you enter the geofence where you set it, there should be an open to "stop auto-folding mirrors at this location" with an X next to it. Note: you need to be within 25 feet from the saved location.

No. I set fold at driveway. Changed my mind. No place to delete setting. I tried deleting home. Mirrors then fold and unfolded immediately at same spot in driveway. Entered home again. Mirrors fold in then right out at end of driveway and then fold in when I get to garage. Neighbors must be thinking that man is crazy or is fascinated with auto folding mirrors. 😆

I encountered the same problem. Tesla recommended rebooting the system. I haven't done that yet. After that, I'll reformat the USB drive and let you know the results.
Rebooted twice and reformatted the USB drive twice. Dashcam Viewer now launches via the icon. I only found out today after calling Tesla that the Dashcam does not have a "live" view, which I mistakenly thought it did.

No. I set fold at driveway. Changed my mind. No place to delete setting. I tried deleting home. Mirrors then fold and unfolded immediately at same spot in driveway. Entered home again. Mirrors fold in then right out at end of driveway and then fold in when I get to garage. Neighbors must be thinking that man is crazy or is fascinated with auto folding mirrors. 😆

So some people say you can unsave the location, and others say you can’t. For those who say you can, do you have a picture of the unsave option?

Would be curious how many deliveries are made with Model S with 0 issues. Should have a poll on that, as would really tilt new Tesla people like me from getting one. Don’t need to buy a car to worry about issues right away. :)
I didn’t have 0 issues at delivery, but just got my LR back yesterday from the SC, and now I do have 0 issues (that I actually care about)😆

I didn’t have 0 issues at delivery, but just got my LR back yesterday from the SC, and now I do have 0 issues (that I actually care about)😆
One of my (irrational?) fears is that I'll miss something at delivery time (like a rattle or a battery problem) and go to schedule an SC appt only discover the first opening is in 2 months, given all the new MS problems + the flood of refreshed Ys. God help the new MX owners whenever they start taking delivery.

I don't have a Plaid even though I've bought two new S's and really dig the new interior. I'm not going to buy a third car that looks identical from the outside LOL... I know from experience to avoid any new Tesla product for a few years...

I bought a new S in 2015 and had lots of stupid problems, people told me "oh Tesla is a new company you should expect issues". Then I bought a new S P100D in 2018 and it had lots of stupid little issues too (front air shocks replaced, charge port door, dead key fob, headlight DRL out, charge cable died, wood dash cracked, Autopilot stalk replaced, etc.). WAY too many issues for a $193K car (CDN).

I feel bad for you guys. I'm taking a break from Tesla mainly due to quality. It's really pathetic that Tesla seems to actually be getting worse when it comes to quality with the S. I've switched off to Lexus for the time being although I miss the electric torque, I do not miss the endless repairs, and the Lexus build quality is impeccable. Good luck folks, hopefully this thread deters or dampens buyers until Elon realizes that building shitty cars is going to hurt in the long run. I wonder if he knows the typical YouTuber is going to be buying the Rivians, the Lucids etc and they will be gone from the brand too.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
A few issues I've found with my MS LR this week:

1. Water in the tail light, already have an appointment to get this fixed (I thought waterproof tail light technology had been figured out?)
2. Passenger rear door will open on its own when I put the car in park. Sometimes the door handle will stay popped out after the door is closed and I'm driving. After opening and closing a few times it usually "fixes" itself, but I've had it happen 3 random times now (nobody in the back seat).

Has anyone observed or heard of issue #2?

I feel like Tesla overcomplicates some of the easy stuff, give me door handles and turn signals and keep working on FSD!
Adding a few more:

3. Rubber gasket around rear door is falling off
4. Lever for passenger seat control falls off (seems very cheaply made)
5. Passenger door closes much harder than other doors, you really need to slam it to get it to shut
6. Once you lower the rear seat its very hard to get it to latch back up again (really need to slam this as well)

I'm hoping all of these will get resolved at my scheduled service appointment next week.

I still love this car, but these little issues remind me a lot of when my Dad bought a K-car back in the 80s and pieces of it were literally falling off on the drive home from the dealer.