Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fixed it in the post. :) I just have such a hard time telling "cream" from "tan." ;)
Here’s mine with cream interior, 19s as well. Stuck with MSM on this one. The MYP on order is white in white. Didn’t want that Storm Trooper look!
View attachment 707305View attachment 707304View attachment 707301View attachment 707299
Wow, that is just such a beautiful car! Turns out, I really like the wood with the cream. And while I love the MSM too, The Wife has stated, "The color of thy car shall be white. And white shall be the color of thy car." I should've never watched Monty Python with her recently. But to be fair, she did allow me to get a blue car (our Model 3).

Bah... I'm really torn. I'd have to sell some stock to grab the inventory car, and I really don't want to do that. : / I think I better just let it go and order one. :(

Oh, and yes! She did approve the Plaid!!

This question maybe too early to ask but maybe some knows the answer. Since Tesla’s don’t have spare tires What do you do when you get a flat on the road. Get towed? To where? Is there something Sold to temporarily inflate your tire or does Tesla not recommend that?
They sell a tire inflator/sealant kit in the Tesla store. I think it is currently does out, but the same kit is available in other places (w/o the Tesla branding). It is useful to get you our of a pinch. A few years ago, a caught a nail in a tire and was able to use the inflator to add enough air back into the tire to be able to (slowly) drive to a repair place.

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
So I just made the mistake of looking at new car available inventory on Tesla's website. Why is that a mistake? They have a Plaid available in exactly the colors/config I want.

But after reading all of the horror stories about the new Plaid, I'm finding it very hard to pull the trigger.

You guys that currently have a Plaid... would you wait for the bugs to be ironed out, or would you go ahead and buy now? I'd really like to hear from actual Plaid owners on this, as you guys have first hand knowledge of how bad things really are.

By the time I get done seesawing on this, I'm sure the car will be gone, but at least I'll have a better feel for what I should do if another car comes up.
Our Plaid had very few issues and the issues it did have were very minor. Our biggest complaint is that we ended up getting the black interior since the white interior wasn't being delivered and we were tired of waiting.

They're BS'ing you to save $ or don't know.
Here's the shop that the SC in White Plains, NY uses...
They were awesome with communications, diagnosis of many body defects we hadn't even noticed, and repair of the issue that SC couldn't address (4Q20 MX delivery obviously rushed out of the factory because trunk lid hinge bolts weren't tightened down prior to installing glass panel, so it was never going to be aligned without removing the glass, which is incredibly time intensive due to other body parts that require removal).

See on their website they have this logo below...and they are also an approved body shop for Porsche. Maybe you can google locally and find a listing for "Tesla Approved Body Shop"
View attachment 707106
Thanks, I will continue to push.

Reactions: impastu
Just noticed this morning a post from someone in Philly area who referenced a Tesla-certified body shop that did work for their X where he will take his S to get panel gaps cleaned up if necessary.
I just spoke to the closest authorized shop near me and they were very nice and well aware of the Tesla build issues and have addressed them in the past. They are going to take a quick look at it for me today to confirm its "worth" pushing the SC to let them address it. They said at some point it won't be perfect but close enough for a Tesla...

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and MEL-22
  • Informative
Reactions: impastu and MEL-22
I bought this from Amazon. Haven't had a need to use it, but it's small and there for me in a pinch.
I used this once but unfortunately the tire's sidewall had been damaged by road debris at highway speed. We pulled off and tried it but the slime came out the side of the tire. This will work for nails and slow leaks in the treads but not for fatally-damaged tires. Tesla service came out with a replacement wheel & tire (took about an hour) and took the damaged tire and my wheel to the local SC. I drove on the replacement for a couple of days until I could get out to the SC to swap it out.

Today when moving my car out from the garage to wash it, I got a message on the screen saying "steering assist reduced. May require more effort to steer." I drove around the block but did not notice any difference in the steering. Once back in my driveway, I washed the car and went for another quick spin and this time there was no error messages and the car was responding like normal.

I am thinking of taking it to SC on Monday morning but wanted to check here if people had insight into what that message meant, if it is safe to continue driving, and what could've caused it?

I have a Plaid and only have about 600 miles on it so far.

Reactions: impastu and jebinc
I have a Model S on order (10/27 - 11/16 delivery window at this time). Reading all the issues some of you are experience gives me some pause (should I wait for the Rivian, or even longer for the Lucid?).

A colleague of mine took delivery of a Model S MSM LR / Black Interior - 21" wheels three weeks ago. We looked over it together. No panel gap issues, no paint issues of any consequence, no problems.

The software needs some work, but that is to be expected and will be corrected in future updates. The only issue I observed was the driver's display not activating when he was first showing me the car. A quick reboot fixed that, no problem after that.

The LR is FAST, handles precisely and the suspension is impressive.

My current plan is to take delivery of the Model S. If it looks like that one is a problem car, I'll reject delivery and wait for one in better shape.

My current plan is to take delivery of the Model S. If it looks like that one is a problem car, I'll reject delivery and wait for one in better shape.
This is what I intend to do.

I've cross-shopped to death -- even fossil cars -- and all I want is for Tesla to make a good quality car, and update software on a reasonable timetable.

Okay, finally, after 25 days at service center car is back...

I have noticed the weird passenger front door weather stripe position. Can anyone take a pic of yours?

This is how mine looks like:

Attachments

• 9CFCD625-75BE-4F86-A397-9659A786A0A5.jpeg
    9CFCD625-75BE-4F86-A397-9659A786A0A5.jpeg
    534.5 KB · Views: 118
Regarding ambient light I've been talking about a few pages ago.
Here is the connector I was talking about:
176036F5-DD59-4BBE-B71B-17C6F39F0F23.jpeg

And here
light tubes behind interior decor that don't light up:

0AECC497-E3AE-4DD3-95A9-2755A8B454C3.jpeg96F5EEE5-813B-4113-B070-EC755FF309B0.jpeg

I've asked SC why it doesn't have a “light engine” and they told me “your car is equipped with “base light package” this is why it doesn't have “light engine”. This is what dyno mode says:
A71CE330-0814-4DCC-AC75-5EFEA225CDBF.jpeg
Either Tesla plans to sell it as an option or just feature was cut out at last minute.

Last edited: