Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the rear seat latches. When you lower the rear seats, there is a loop of metal attached to the side of the car that the seat back clips into. That loop of metal is too small (of the hook on the seat is too large) and it rattles. Put a few wraps of painter's tape or something over the loop to take up the slop and not make it metal on metal. If you step back through this thread several pages there is a picture. I'll try to find it.

UPDATE: See this post:
#1,680
Wow cant believe a piece of duct tape fixed that noise! Ahhhh soooo quiet now! Thanks guys!!

My bolsters near the doors on both front seats look pretty crappy in terms of wrinkling. Just annoying for a car that costs this much…

I had a similar experience with my Raven Performance Model X where one of the seats had a wrinkle but felt more like the foam material was missing just below that spot and it felt like you could easily poke a hole if you pushed down on it with you finger. All the other seats were flawless.

Tesla looked at it and ordered a new seat and even had Tesla Mobile Service deliver and install a new seat right in my garage. So far my experience with their service is amazing.

1632949537552.jpeg

They need to do something about the windshield wipers. First off mine always needs about 6 extra wipes to get rid of streaks after using the fluid. And what makes it even worse is the "tap" on the yoke button sometimes just gives one wipe (as designed), and other times it squirts the fluid again. No matter how lite I tap it. Then the process starts over again. There has to be a better way.

Reactions: Sbaimo and impastu
That is a pretty common issue, but not necessarily noticed unless you look for it or feel the back of the yoke "handles" for it.
I feel it the entire time I’m driving. It’s exactly where I hold the yoke. It’s annoying as hell. I’m going to try to patch it myself and see if it lasts. I don’t want my yoke replaced. Such a ridiculous solution. Just hire an upholstery person. And knock out a bunch.

Like almost everyone, waited months for delivery....had car for 3 days and now it is in service center for software issue. Firmware updated to 2021.24.5 bricked the navigation and communication. Error UI_a010, plus no voice commands, etc. Mobile App doesn't "see" car so had to bring in to service center. Anyone else have similar issue?
Picked up my Plaid today. App communication, Infotainment, Navigation were working great. Car kept nagging me for a software update, so I let it 😖. Now, I have the same problem that you report. I scheduled a mobile service through the app. Hopefully they can take care of the issue without me bringing the car in

Has anyone had a confirmed fix of the rear right seat rattle, by an SC, without taping it over?

I’ve accepted the window distortion, I don’t think it’s worth ruining the factory seals to fix a non hazard. But that rattle might drive me batshit crazy!

I love the car, so I spend a lot of time in it, so I hear the rattle very often 😅

Also. My SC claims that I have my privacy shelf and right trunk cover already. I can confirm that I do not, I went to check my car in case they magicked them in somehow when I wasn’t looking. This sounds like it’ll be a battle and a half.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a confirmed fix of the rear right seat rattle, by an SC, without taping it over?

I’ve accepted the window distortion, I don’t think it’s worth ruining the factory seals to fix a non hazard. But that rattle might drive me batshit crazy!

I love the car, so I spend a lot of time in it, so I hear the rattle very often 😅

Also. My SC claims that I have my privacy shelf and right trunk cover already. I can confirm that I do not, I went to check my car in case they magicked them in somehow when I wasn’t looking. This sounds like it’ll be a battle and a half.
I agree with you about the annoyance of having to tape something on a car that costs so much. Shouldn’t happen. Buy some black coflex tape, wrap it with that, and you can forget about it for a year. Then, re-wrap it.

Picked up MY LR tonight. Aside from the drivers side door handle which seems to make a noise and doesn't want to
retrack in without me touching the bottom, build quality seems great.

However - I noticed that when the mirrors are folded in, you see a screw that visible. Is this normal? Seems like anyone
could just remove the mirror then no?

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 83
However - I noticed that when the mirrors are folded in, you see a screw that visible. Is this normal? Seems like anyone

That's how it was on my '17 S. The trim on the doors just pops off, the wiper blades are pretty easy to hoc, and if you don't have locks on the wheels, they also are easily removable. :)

Just poking fun......

Best design from a theft standpoint? Possibly not. If I recall correctly there are some screws on the bottom of the housing too? There may be other screws or fasteners that are not so readily accessible that also need to be removed to take off the mirror.

I just had my car in for some random stuff, including the rattle. The tech's note said Tesla Diagnostic Team is aware of the issue and its currently under investigation and they applied friction tape as a temporary repair. I assume a TSB will eventually hit once they figure out a permanent fix.

Open a new ticket for interior trim pieces, attach a photo showing what is not there, and see what happens. I did this rather than wait for "it will be mailed to you."

Why wouldn’t you just use the tape method ? Will give you higher self esteem knowing you can self help.

Reactions: Phlier and bhzmark
Picked up MY LR tonight. Aside from the drivers side door handle which seems to make a noise and doesn't want to
retrack in without me touching the bottom, build quality seems great.

Dude here is link to MY forum. Congratulations on the new ride.

Open a new ticket for interior trim pieces, attach a photo showing what is not there, and see what happens. I did this rather than wait for "it will be mailed to you."
This actually was in a service ticket. They claimed I had the pieces, guess I’ll add a picture of me not having the pieces.

Why wouldn’t you just use the tape method ? Will give you higher self esteem knowing you can self help.
Except, I know I can tape it. It feels too janky of a solution for this car; I was hoping they had a proper fix. Now that I know they don’t, I’ll probably tape it.

Ok guys...Took delivery of MYLR last night in the dark. Looking at the car this morning, around the bumper seams and the lights
there appears to be a white residue gunky stuff. Like they ripped off the protectant film and this stuff was left over.

Anyone figure out an easy way to get this off without scratching the car??

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 72
Not worth it. You have to replace it every couple of years as it will get scratched. It will cost you each time. Cheaper to replace the windshield of it gets damaged under insurance
And you have to be very careful with when you use your wipers. Any time they move on a dirty windshield they will scratch the windshield protection film. It will get progressively worse.

Reactions: Phlier and impastu